Double points or not ?

Hi,

Had a cruise booked in the period where we got double points!

However it got cancelled due to covid from where we got the offer to:

If you prefer to move your existing booking to a sailing in 2022 or 2023 - we’re happy to move you! We’ll price protect the original pricing and/or promotion on the same Australian 2022-2023 sailing that has the same embarkation port, sailing length (+/- 2 sail nights), and stateroom category as your original sailing within 2 weeks (before or after) of the original sail date in either 2022 or 2023. For example, if you are moving from a November 7th, 2021 sailing onboard Ovation of the Seas, you can move to another 2022 or 2023 Ovation sailing that has the same embarkation port, itinerary, sailing length (+/- 2 sail nights), product, and stateroom category.

---

We ended up doing this and moved it to April in 2023.

As the double points was a promotion it should still be included or am i reading it wrong ?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I think so because the Australian double points promo had different dates compared to the US promo.  This is assuming you are booked through the Australian process and not the US process traveling on an Australian cruise.

I just ordered on the website, no clue about different processes 😄

Customer support tends to not have answers to these questions 😞 - quite annoying! And emails take 3-4 weeks + for answers with the response often not being what i asked for

I am going to say no......... they might have honored price and promotions, but time specific ones might be a bust. Regardless of anything you had to sail in 2022 to get the double points. I know there was a booked by date as well and in some cases, they might disregard that as long as the sailing(s) was completed in 2022. 

4 hours ago, steffenmande said:

I just ordered on the website, no clue about different processes 😄

Customer support tends to not have answers to these questions 😞 - quite annoying! And emails take 3-4 weeks + for answers with the response often not being what i asked for

If you don't know if you booked on the AU website or the US website then it's unlikely anyone here can advise.  

Enjoy your cruise.

3 hours ago, steffenmande said:

Well thought there was different processes 🙂 i just used the .com website in general

The website will default to the site for whatever region it detects you are coming from based on your computer/phone internet connection.  Did you pay in US money or Australian money? 

39 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

I also booked a double-point cruise, only to have the cruise cancelled and rescheduled thru no fault of my own to another date outside the window.  Pleading my case, Royal said I had no case, and I did not receive double points. 

Guess that answers it 😞 with my transpacific cruise it had very limited lift & shift options in general as its a relocstion cruise...

Sucks 😞 had my cruise cancelled TWICE causing me to have waited for years for this specific cruise

We got double points for our cruise in October and will also get double points for our cruise in April next year. We booked on the Australia/NZ website during the protional period.

If you access the cruise planner and the options are in USD then you did not book through the Australia website which was a requirement of the promotion.

this is what the website says regarding double points but it is not clear what the conditions are if you booked in the Australian market from overseas.

if you are eligible the double points will be applied automatically. There was no evidence on our booking that we would get double points but it happed within 14 days just like clockwork.

B14ABF64-CD22-4DB9-A926-6AA74325A5AA.jpeg

3 hours ago, F1guynz said:

We got double points for our cruise in October and will also get double points for our cruise in April next year. We booked on the Australia/NZ website during the protional period.

If you access the cruise planner and the options are in USD then you did not book through the Australia website which was a requirement of the promotion.

this is what the website says regarding double points but it is not clear what the conditions are if you booked in the Australian market from overseas.

if you are eligible the double points will be applied automatically. There was no evidence on our booking that we would get double points but it happed within 14 days just like clockwork.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/8695b145d2b20417c19178f5a709000017ed02a7c88a4196e8bf1f9071ae1ccb/1280/https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/uploads/monthly_2023_01/B14ABF64-CD22-4DB9-A926-6AA74325A5AA.thumb.jpeg.5ab9c1ae68dd4b6ca95b42cb9756c4d7.jpeg

You sparked some new hope - this is from the australian site? Do you have a link by any chance ? Then I guess i have to ask them if its valid or not when booked from overseas - seems weird if my terms are worse than the terms aussies got for the same cruise

Do you have a link

Hi, this is the link.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/topics/crown-and-anchor-society-double-points-offer

You could also try contacting them at reservations.au@rcclapac.com and then Facebook Messenger if no response. Both have worked for me in the past.

You sparked some new hope - this is from the australian site? Do you have a link by any chance ? Then I guess i have to ask them if its valid or not when booked from overseas - seems weird if my terms are worse than the terms aussies got for the same cruise

But that's why people are asking where and how you booked.  The terms and conditions ARE different.  If you book through the US site, you are bound by US terms.  Through a European site, you get the European terms where the pricing/repricing rules are very different because Europe has stricter rules on getting your money back.  But you can book any Royal cruise anywhere in the world using any of Royal's websites.  (And if you use a travel agent, that opens another set of questions over how they booked it.  Some TAs will only use their local rules, others will book through international terms when they find better deals.)

It's really no different than the airline industry.  The person sitting next to you could have paid a wildly different price and have wildly different cancellation terms but you're on the same plane taking the same trip.

21 hours ago, WAYNO said:

I also booked a double-point cruise, only to have the cruise cancelled and rescheduled thru no fault of my own to another date outside the window.  Pleading my case, Royal said I had no case, and I did not receive double points. 

@steffenmande said:

Guess that answers it 😞 with my transpacific cruise it had very limited lift & shift options in general as its a relocstion cruise...

Sucks 😞 had my cruise cancelled TWICE causing me to have waited for years for this specific cruise

end of quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as I share my experience, somebody will come along to say I'm all wrong, as it didn't happen to them that way.

Playing that devils advocate, if you talk to a different rep, you might just as easily get a different ruling.  Very recently, on a different matter, when I could get no satisfaction from all the royal offices and rep's I communicated with, I contacted the CEO.  Very quickly I received a very positive ruling in my favor.   

My point... If you think you're right, don't give up.  Escalate the case if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, steffenmande said:

Just for an update for everybody! 

They wouldn't give double points even though they confirmed that Australian members on the same itinerary will get double points 😞

Ridiculous in my head as our cruises were cancelled/postponed/changed for the exact same reasons

They stayed shutdown much longer than we did and they couldn't cruise while up here we could.  Without extending the dates for Australian member it would have been unfair to them since they couldn't cruise.  By extending the promotional period for Australian members it leveled the playing field for everyone.

30 minutes ago, twangster said:

They stayed shutdown much longer than we did and they couldn't cruise while up here we could.  Without extending the dates for Australian member it would have been unfair to them since they couldn't cruise.  By extending the promotional period for Australian members it leveled the playing field for everyone.

My cruise is in Australia... so really  no difference here! It was cancelled twice, so waited 3 years for it

17 minutes ago, steffenmande said:

My cruise is in Australia... so really  no difference here! It was cancelled twice, so waited 3 years for it

You had choices.  You chose to fly to Australia and sail from Australia.  You could have sailed anywhere.

Australians had no choices.  No ships were sailing.  

24 minutes ago, twangster said:

You had choices.  You chose to fly to Australia and sail from Australia.  You could have sailed anywhere.

Australians had no choices.  No ships were sailing.  

I lifted and shifted just like they did... its the same cruise we are talking about! Please do note that Austrlians could travel abroad for most of the time - it was "just" closed for foreigners 

23 minutes ago, steffenmande said:

I lifted and shifted just like they did... its the same cruise we are talking about! Please do note that Austrlians could travel abroad for most of the time - it was "just" closed for foreigners 

Actually they could not travel abroad while we were excitedly gaining double points.  Australia was closed when we started cruising up here.

I appreciate you will never see it from any view point other than your own so we can leave it as simple as... their ship, their rules.  

The policy is plain to see.  It's not hidden or deceitful.  

Enjoy your cruise.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Actually they could not travel abroad while we were excitedly gaining double points.  Australia was closed when we started cruising up here.

I appreciate you will never see it from any view point other than your own so we can leave it as simple as... their ship, their rules.  

The policy is plain to see.  It's not hidden or deceitful.  

Enjoy your cruise.

Not really - I have australian employees in my company so im fully aware of when they could travel and not! It was not as extreme as you make it 🙂

The big issue was more foreigners not being allowed in