Whats the best location for a balcony stateroom? Aft? Bow?

Hey, we are due to sail on Freedom at the end of the month. Our current stateroom is 8690, which is at the back of the ship, on the left side, almost at the very back. We saw stateroom #8216, which is located and the very forward (bow) is available, so we wonder if we should switch to that stateroom or not. It's our first cruise and we don't want to be so far in the back, but aren't sure about being so far in the bow as I understand it's very prone to movement?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I, too would agree that mid-ship is generally the best. I would also add that, if you want some quiet time in your room, try to make sure you don't have any event venues (bars, clubs, restaurants) directly above or below your cabin - if you can be on a floor that has all cabins above and below it, that IMO is the best option. While we take the stairs everywhere (gotta work off that cruise food) usually, sometimes (think formal nights in high heels), we will take the elevator so being close to that is also nice. On a recent cruise, we were on a high floor towards the bow and it was pretty cool being able to see the bridge and the captain when we came into ports. We barely felt any rocking or movement at all but we were on the Allure so she's a much bigger ship than some.

It really is a personal preference - you probably won't be spending too much time inside your cabin anyways - there's way too much to see and do! Especially on your first cruise! Hope you guys have a blast!

17 minutes ago, Maggie M said:

I, too would agree that mid-ship is generally the best. I would also add that, if you want some quiet time in your room, try to make sure you don't have any event venues (bars, clubs, restaurants) directly above or below your cabin - if you can be on a floor that has all cabins above and below it, that IMO is the best option. While we take the stairs everywhere (gotta work off that cruise food) usually, sometimes (think formal nights in high heels), we will take the elevator so being close to that is also nice. On a recent cruise, we were on a high floor towards the bow and it was pretty cool being able to see the bridge and the captain when we came into ports. We barely felt any rocking or movement at all but we were on the Allure so she's a much bigger ship than some.

It really is a personal preference - you probably won't be spending too much time inside your cabin anyways - there's way too much to see and do! Especially on your first cruise! Hope you guys have a blast!

Is it not noisy near the elevators/stairs?

I think aft is the best as it has the least amount of motion and the least amount of noise, it is often more walkable to all the places important to me. Of course, these are my opinions, if I can't have aft, I will settle for midship. Foward hands down is the worst. It will often be the most congested, have the worst reception for internet (possibly because it is congested) and you will feel every rock and bump no matter how high your room is.

We like midship and roughly deck 8 or higher on most ships (like to be higher up). Midship tends to be more stable (less movement, not that it bothers us) and naturally is a central location on the ship to go anywhere onboard. Now, with that said, I would love to get a hold of an aft suite like an Aquatheater suite!

Our preference is mid, the bump outs when we can get them, and if not available more aft than forward. The only Freedom class we have sailed on is Liberty. But we have also sailed on Voyager and Navigator and to me the mid to aft is more important on the smaller ships than the Oasis class.