Travel Insurance

Sarge

Travel Insurance

Where do you experienced cruise experts get your travel insurance from...?

I wouldn't cruise without it...especially nowadays...

We've never had to use it but, have always had it since we started cruising many years ago and always bought the insurance Royal Caribbean offered because we assumed it was adequate because our travel agent recommended it.

Lots has changed since our first few cruise...

We eventually started booking our cruise directly with Royal Caribbean over the phone and continued their insurance.

Then, we started booking our future cruise onboard whichever our current cruise ship was and continued their insurance.

A few cruises ago, when we attempted to purchase the RCL insurance, onboard, as usual, we were told that although they continue to offer it, because we reside in New York State, they can not sell us their insurance...(something to do with NYS Insurance Law changes)...but, they told us to contact the company that provides their insurance and we could buy it from them...which we did.

For our last cruise a few months ago, I did some online shopping & purchased a much better policy with better coverage for a lesser amount than usual.

I purchased from them again for our upcoming cruise next month.

The credit card I usually use, does offer some free travel insurance but, it's pretty limited, minimal & basic...I'd rather be better covered...just in case.

Not sure if specific insurance company names are allowed to be mentioned in these RCL message boards but, if they are, I'd like to know where you experienced cruise experts get your travel insurance from...and if you can offer any advice about said insurance.

Thanks!

We use Allianz. Last year we had 5 major trips and Allianz covered anything more than 100 miles from home. We could customize what we wanted. We increased cancellation coverage since 3 of the trips were bucket list. For a little over $1k we had annual coverage. Royal wanted $1200 for one Alaska cruise. It was a no brainer

I have used Travel Guard for years and have used it multiple times for different things.  They reimburse me without any hassle.  This year I switched to an annual plan with them because of the amount of travel I will be doing going forward.  Travel Insurance | Get a Quote and Buy | Travel Guard

I planned to accompany my Mom on a cruise to Aruba last May. We booked it last winter and purchased a policy from IMG. Simultaneously, my Wife booked a Delta Skymiles Reward trip to visit her relatives in Italy for four weeks in May & June. She had the foresight to purchase a $1,200 policy from Allianz.

Unfortunately, my Mom entered hospice a few days before our departure. My Wife cut her trip short and booked a $1,648 flight home with a different airline (United), due to Delta being sold out on many flights back to the US from Rome.

After my Mom passed away in June, I filed a claim with IMG. It took nearly 5 months to get the cruise refund, with several back and forth emails.

My Wife filed a claim with Allianz for her return flight and was reimbursed $1,200 within two weeks. It only took a few clicks on their websites to file the claim.  And fortunately, Delta did credit back the mileage for the unused portion of the return flight.

That said, our recent four cruise bookings our insured with Allianz.

If you cruise a lot, the best thing to do IMO is purchase a good annual policy. It will save you loads of money by not paying for each individual trip, which can certainly add up, and still gives you peace of mind. Especially if you follow the advice of those on this forum who have experience dealing with claims and refunds. 
I have an annual policy, but have been fortunate not to have ever needed to file a claim…knocking on wood…but I feel very comfortable knowing others have the same policy and are satisfied with the service. 

**Another great reason to be on these boards. The information sharing is priceless!🥰

I've been dithering about getting an annual policy. I've always purchased insurance as a book the cruise. This year it got away from me as I've already purchased reinsurance for each of my 5 2023 cruises ant my two 2024 cruises. So at this point I may look at starting an annual policy in 2024. One of my issues is that I tend to "think" about doing something for quite awhile before actually doing it, some times years!

Thank you, everyone that responded and for your valuable information! 

I'm looking at the company web pages for what you all mentioned. I'll keep monitoring this blog for additional responses.

I'm also considering an Annual policy, now, as we both are now retired and able to travel on more than one cruise per year. The annual policy makes a lot of sense...

Thank you, all, again!

4 hours ago, KevinJ said:

I've been dithering about getting an annual policy. I've always purchased insurance as a book the cruise. This year it got away from me as I've already purchased reinsurance for each of my 5 2023 cruises ant my two 2024 cruises. So at this point I may look at starting an annual policy in 2024. One of my issues is that I tend to "think" about doing something for quite awhile before actually doing it, some times years!

You can cancel those insurance policies you bought through the cruise if you haven’t made final payment. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 2:14 PM, Sarge said:

Travel Insurance

Where do you experienced cruise experts get your travel insurance from...?

I wouldn't cruise without it...especially nowadays...

We've never had to use it but, have always had it since we started cruising many years ago and always bought the insurance Royal Caribbean offered because we assumed it was adequate because our travel agent recommended it.

Lots has changed since our first few cruise...

We eventually started booking our cruise directly with Royal Caribbean over the phone and continued their insurance.

Then, we started booking our future cruise onboard whichever our current cruise ship was and continued their insurance.

A few cruises ago, when we attempted to purchase the RCL insurance, onboard, as usual, we were told that although they continue to offer it, because we reside in New York State, they can not sell us their insurance...(something to do with NYS Insurance Law changes)...but, they told us to contact the company that provides their insurance and we could buy it from them...which we did.

For our last cruise a few months ago, I did some online shopping & purchased a much better policy with better coverage for a lesser amount than usual.

I purchased from them again for our upcoming cruise next month.

The credit card I usually use, does offer some free travel insurance but, it's pretty limited, minimal & basic...I'd rather be better covered...just in case.

Not sure if specific insurance company names are allowed to be mentioned in these RCL message boards but, if they are, I'd like to know where you experienced cruise experts get your travel insurance from...and if you can offer any advice about said insurance.

Thanks!

We purchased sailing insurance through Berkshire Hathaway. We use them for all our travel insurance. We had to use medical on last cruise and all money was reimbursed quickly. They also provide a website and number to call for questions if needed while on vacation.