A courtesy reservation will be made for Day 1????

Jeff Raines

I purchased the dining package, and day one shows a courtesy reservation  at 6PM.  Problem is, what restaurant is this reservation at?

Additionally, I tried to make a reservation on day two at Giovanni’s  and just got a credit card charge of ~$90

What am I doing wrong?  I don't want to spend an hour on the phone making reservations, but it looks Like I'm going to have to go that route 🥵

When you book a dining package, you have to wait until you actually board the ship to make your reservations. This is the trade off for the discount. One reservation will be made for you (usually Chops) but you can also change the venue and time once onboard. Calling won’t do anything as this is policy. If you want to select specific venues for specific days and times prior to boarding, you have to purchase the reservation NOT using your dining package

13 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

When you book a dining package, you have to wait until you actually board the ship to make your reservations. This is the trade off for the discount. One reservation will be made for you (usually Chops) but you can also change the venue and time once onboard. Calling won’t do anything as this is policy. If you want to select specific venues for specific days and times prior to boarding, you have to purchase the reservation NOT using your dining package

Ah... makes sense.  Thanks for the info.  If ya can't tell, this is the first time I purchased the dining package 🙂

10 minutes ago, Jeff Raines said:

Ah... makes sense.  Thanks for the info.  If ya can't tell, this is the first time I purchased the dining package 🙂

No worries, that is why we are here! When I first booked, I had the same question. For me, I am too much of a planning control freak to wait until boarding to make my reservations. Needless to say, that has cost me a pretty penny by booking restaurants individually rather than through packages! 😂😂

14 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

No worries, that is why we are here! When I first booked, I had the same question. For me, I am too much of a planning control freak to wait until boarding to make my reservations. Needless to say, that has cost me a pretty penny by booking restaurants individually rather than through packages! 😂😂

Same here.  I like to know in advance where I'll be eating so I can plan the day accordingly.   Oh well... now I know 🙂

The first time I booked the UDP I jumped on board and made all my reservations for the week.  About halfway through the cruise I moved all of my dinner reservations to the latest times available.  Lunch (when available) is so much food.  It's basically a full dinner with one or two entrees removed from the dinner menu.  I was so full from lunch I couldn't eat dinner at 6pm, or 7pm.  I ended up eating all my remaining dinners at 8:30pm or later which is way later than I normally eat dinner.

They appear to hold reservations until sailing so don't worry if you see them not available for purchase individually. Besides people cancelling and moving reservations, there are those upper class guests and dining package people they have to accommodate. I had no problem with my Unlimited Dining Package once I got onboard. Sure I had to be flexible with the times and sacrifice some entertainment but I ended up eating about $1024 worth of food for $250. I had two specialty lunches once (not counting a la carte lunch places like Johnny Rockets and Playmakers) and multiple nights with two specialty dinners.

No need to worry about reservations beforehand but do make them once you get onboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info.  I ended up cancelling the UDP anyway.  I can't check in until my son's renewed passport gets here, so I'm guessing I'll be in the last group to get on the ship. 🙄 Didn't want to take a chance on getting bad time slots, so I just booked 4 specialty restaurants at the time of my choosing, and actually saved some money.

@Jeff Raines You can check in without the passport to choose the time.  Do it on the app and skip right to Arrival Time.  Then you can go back and complete the other stuff anytime.

Another option that would have been available is to keep the UDP and your booked reservations and when you get onboard go to guest services and tell them you have UDP so you want to use that for those bookings and they would refund you the cost of the 4.  You just have to float that cost until onboard.

4 nights is good though.  I hope you enjoy your cruise!

28 minutes ago, Xaa said:

@Jeff Raines You can check in without the passport to choose the time.  Do it on the app and skip right to Arrival Time.  Then you can go back and complete the other stuff anytime.

Another option that would have been available is to keep the UDP and your booked reservations and when you get onboard go to guest services and tell them you have UDP so you want to use that for those bookings and they would refund you the cost of the 4.  You just have to float that cost until onboard.

4 nights is good though.  I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info.  Already cancelled and booked so I'll know going forward.  I got the restaurants I wanted, and the times I wanted for cheaper anyway.  I'll have a pretty busy schedule on the cruise, so I had only allocated 4 time slots anyway.