Flight canceled so I changed my airport...

ScottD

So my flight into Miami the morning before my cruise in January just got rescheduled from 7am to 6pm. So we were offered a full refund, which I took. So I decided to check into flying into FLL instead and found tickets for almost 1/3 of the original flight to Miami.  BUT our hotel is right next to Miami intl. How much of a pain is it going to be to get from FLL to MIA? Shuttle,train,uber...other? What are my options here. 

I hate Uber, so I'm probably in the minority here, but if you enjoy public transportation you could take the Tri-Rail (commuter train) for 5 bucks.  there's a free shuttle bus from the FLL airport to the train station there.  takes about an hour.  

Another option is to rent a car for 24 hours, pick up from FLL Airport and drop it off Miami downtown.  I use AVIS.  the downtown Miami location code is Q8M and they have a free shuttle to the cruise port if you're picking up or dropping off a car there.  so in essence you're getting your Uber ride to the port baked into the price of your car.  since you have your own wheels, now you can rebook your MIA airport hotel anywhere cheap in the metro area (assuming your hotel was refundable).

Miami Airport area sucks, and I only really stay there if coming in on a late night arriving flight.  

Interesting, we did the same thing for our May B2B cruise from Miami, flights to FLL were way cheaper. I hadn't even considered a one way rental. We are flying back the day after the cruise, so plan a hotel in Miami for the day before and then a hotel up near FLL for departure.

7 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

I hate Uber, so I'm probably in the minority here, but if you enjoy public transportation you could take the Tri-Rail (commuter train) for 5 bucks.  there's a free shuttle bus from the FLL airport to the train station there.  takes about an hour.  

Another option is to rent a car for 24 hours, pick up from FLL Airport and drop it off Miami downtown.  I use AVIS.  the downtown Miami location code is Q8M and they have a free shuttle to the cruise port if you're picking up or dropping off a car there.  so in essence you're getting your Uber ride to the port baked into the price of your car.  since you have your own wheels, now you can rebook your MIA airport hotel anywhere cheap in the metro area (assuming your hotel was refundable).

Miami Airport area sucks, and I only really stay there if coming in on a late night arriving flight.  

Is the tri-rail the same thing as the bright line? I've actually been looking at the car rental- we have the whole day in Miami so it may be worth it to have a car to get around then just drop the car off Sunday morning and shuttle to the port.  We are staying a night before and a night after the cruise- the night after we have a room closer to the port, right across from the bayside shopping and bayfront park area, so we will  just make due with the crappy location for the pre-cruise hotel. 

So I just went ahead and did the car rental- for the price of uber and the convenience to be able to run around the night before the cruise and get the stuff we don't want to fly with (shampoos\snacks\wine for the room) AND a shuttle to the port after drop off, that sold it. Thank you @PurdueFlyerfor that advice. I'm also not a huge fan of the fees and operating practices of Uber\Lyft so this was a great call. 

It was cheaper for us to fly into FLL for our cruise out of Miami too with better flight times.  We stayed 2 nights before & 1 night after at a hotel in Dania Beach near FLL.  Hotel shuttle back & forth to the airport and SAS Transportation to & from POM $15 each way per person.  Plan to do it all again with extended family in May.  Told my brother I took the cruise just to iron out the kinks for him!😁

4 hours ago, ScottD said:

So I just went ahead and did the car rental- for the price of uber and the convenience to be able to run around the night before the cruise and get the stuff we don't want to fly with (shampoos\snacks\wine for the room) AND a shuttle to the port after drop off, that sold it. 

Yep, that's what we always do. It allows us to have a huge variety of options after landing as far as things to do/see, places to eat/drink, and hotels at which to stay. Big fan of the car rental idea. 

5 hours ago, KevinJ said:

Thanks @Pooch I checked out the SAS Transportation site, it looks like a great way to do this. Lets us settle into our hotel after flying in without having to hassle with a car.

And since we were staying the night after we disembarked, SAS brought us to the hotel instead of the airport.  Very nice company.