Sailing at Christmas...gifts for crew?

We sailed last Christmas. Besides extra cash, we asked our stateroom attendant if there was anything we could pick up for her while in port. At the time, she was unable to leave the ship due to COVID protocol. She said chocolate was always a welcome treat, so we bought some of our favorites in St. Thomas to include a candy that is made about 2 hours from our house. We were shocked to see it in the store actually. We got enough for her to share and she was excited about it. I know they are trained to be "happy" about whatever they are given, but she seemed actually excited. They were working ridiculous schedules at the time and I have a feeling they still are due to the staffing shortages, so I know extra cash will be greatly appreciated.

I do not recommend anything that is not consumable because they have very little space to store their belongings, ie don't give them anything they can't eat or spend because they don't have anywhere to put it.  

28 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

I am from New England so when I travel I will sometimes carry maple candy.  It is a treat that is not available around the world.  I have not found a person who has not enjoyed a piece of maple candy.  It also travels well. 

Maple candy?! Now I want a piece with my (recently ordered) Hot Cinnamon Spice tea!

2 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

No gifts............... only cash..............period.......end of story

Not the end of the story for me.  Though I give cash gifts to my room attendant, waiter and assistant, I make sure to bring little somethings for crew members I have interaction with during the cruise.

Being Filipino myself, I'm excited to meet Filipino crew members.  On my cruise last year the week before Christmas, I brought them traditional Filipino Christmas food items to help bring a little bit of home to them at Christmas time.  For non-Filipino crew, I bring some candies, hot cocoa mixes, and socks.

While I agree to a certain extent that "cash is king,"  I hate the notion that all the crew members think about is getting cash from guests.  For some of them, even the little gifts we can bring makes them feel that we've gone out of our way to make them feel we care.   

17 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Not the end of the story for me.  Though I give cash gifts to my room attendant, waiter and assistant, I make sure to bring little somethings for crew members I have interaction with during the cruise.

Being Filipino myself, I'm excited to meet Filipino crew members.  On my cruise last year the week before Christmas, I brought them traditional Filipino Christmas food items to help bring a little bit of home to them at Christmas time.  For non-Filipino crew, I bring some candies, hot cocoa mixes, and socks.

While I agree to a certain extent that "cash is king,"  I hate the notion that all the crew members think about is getting cash from guests.  For some of them, even the little gifts we can bring makes them feel that we've gone out of our way to make them feel we care.   

Thank you PG Cruiser for sharing your experience with me!