Jump to content

iHealth test kits for travel


Recommended Posts

Has anyone used the government issued iHealth test kit for boarding. Now the service is $25 pp. How was the experience? How easy or difficult to make appointment? I am flying 2 days before boarding from CA to Orlando. My plan is to schedule a PCR test (they no longer offer rapid test) at CVS in the morning the day I fly and bring the test kits with me just in case the test results do not come back in time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sunset1031 said:

Has anyone used the government issued iHealth test kit for boarding. Now the service is $25 pp. How was the experience? How easy or difficult to make appointment? I am flying 2 days before boarding from CA to Orlando. My plan is to schedule a PCR test (they no longer offer rapid test) at CVS in the morning the day I fly and bring the test kits with me just in case the test results do not come back in time.

I heard a rumor that you can only do the iHealth proctoring on a computer/laptop, not on a phone. Not sure if that's true, but it might be a problem if you're not traveling with a laptop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

back in December Matt released a youtube video saying that the Abbott test is the only 1 that Royal Caribbean is allowing
is anyone aware of Royal starting to accept proctored tests from other companies? I have reached out to Royal & wasn't able to get any clarification on it.
 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On May 11, I'll be taking the iHealth proctored test, I'll post a picture of the results, here (redacted, of course).  On May the 13th I'll be presenting my iHealth results at the terminal in Seattle, I'll let you know how it went, here.  

Others in here have posted that the iHealth has been accepted.  

I can't find a thing that says that Royal ONLY accepts the Abbott test.  I've asked in here and Royal for factual information on that and Crickets.  I don't know for sure if Royal will accept the iHealth proctored test or not but the iHealth test meets Royal's requirements other than it isn't advertised on Royal's website.  But, I'm going to find out and I'll let you all know.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if RCI will except those or not but the website says that it is suitable for flights back to USA.  It did say you can only use a laptop or desktop and that tablets and phones are not supported.

Maybe someone on here has used them to cruise.  I would be interested to know if you can or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

I'm not sure if RCI will except those or not but the website says that it is suitable for flights back to USA.  It did say you can only use a laptop or desktop and that tablets and phones are not supported.

Maybe someone on here has used them to cruise.  I would be interested to know if you can or not.

image.thumb.png.849071bde7afb2d7dccc79b28fe84a86.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.thumb.jpeg.6157c52258f8a310b6c2555a9c0baa65.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d11d673e346dc5c60d90426bfe33fb2b.jpeg

This is what is on my phone.  I'm not going to use my phone to take the test but I'll have the results on my phone to show at the terminal.  I'm also going to print the results.

EDITED IN:  Now, I haven't gone any further than what is shown above.  It could be that the app is only a tutorial for the unproctored at home test.  I don't know.  But, like I said, I'm not going to use a mobile device anyway other than having the results on my phone.  

 

 

Edited by 1st Mate
clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whitsmom said:

From what I saw on the website, you have to test with laptop or desktop but you can get a link/app to view on phone.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

(scroll down to Technical Requirement

YOU ARE CORRECT.  I just paid for and scheduled my iHealth proctored COVID test and my confirmation email DOES say that a tablet or phone is not acceptable.  I guess the App is just for accessing the results, if needed.  ALSO, you'll note that only GOOGLE CHROME is acceptable, acceptable

Technical Requirements

The device you use to complete the appointment MUST meet the following requirements:

1. Have stable wifi access to ensure a smooth virtual meeting.

2. You must use a device that is an internet-enabled laptop or desktop computer ONLY. Tablets and smartphones are NOT supported.

3. You must have a working microphone AND a front-facing camera.

4. Browser Requirement:Google Chrome ONLY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, luiiismdo said:

back in December Matt released a youtube video saying that the Abbott test is the only 1 that Royal Caribbean is allowing
is anyone aware of Royal starting to accept proctored tests from other companies? I have reached out to Royal & wasn't able to get any clarification on it.
 


 

No longer accurate; plenty of first hand accounts of folks using the iHealth “government” test to board the ship after paying for the proctor appointment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, luiiismdo said:

back in December Matt released a youtube video saying that the Abbott test is the only 1 that Royal Caribbean is allowing
is anyone aware of Royal starting to accept proctored tests from other companies? I have reached out to Royal & wasn't able to get any clarification on it.
 


 

Back in December that was probably an accurate statement.  A lot has changed since then.  

The bottom line is that Royal is not out there seeking ways to keep people from boarding their ships.  Any valid testing result that satisfies the basic requirements will be accepted.  Where people run into trouble seems to be with handwritten doctor's notes such as "I tested Joe and he is negative, signed doctor Bob." or overly simplistic results that don't have birth dates, names, testing date, etc.  If it has what they need and looks like it's from a lab it will probably be accepted.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

No longer accurate; plenty of first hand accounts of folks using the iHealth “government” test to board the ship after paying for the proctor appointment 

And if you really listen to the video, he says that Royal accepts the Abbott because it is proctored and many others are not and they won't be accepted (or words to that effect).  He NEVER actually says that Abbott is the only accepted test kit.  To me, it's an obvious advertisement, by Royal, to sell Abbott test kits.  

I, once again, want to say that I may be wrong here.  I don't know because I can't get anybody or company tell me if Abbott is the only test kit Royal accepts, or not, and provide official documentation or something about it.  

Royal Caribbean says that the test must be an Antigen or PCR, which Royal considers the same, and be CDC/FDA approved.  iHealth tests meet those requirements.  

It's interesting to note that on Royal's site they have this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

Telehealth Testing for Cruises Departing from U.S. Ports, Puerto Rico and Canada

"Through our testing partners, "we sell" antigen test kits that you can complete online with a supervised virtual video visit, wherever you are, 24 hours 7 days a week to meet travel testing requirements for cruise or flight".

This doesn't sound like an exclusive requirement, to me.

But, enough is enough.  I'll find out for sure on the 13th of May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I just called iHealth Labs.  You can't talk to a person, just push 1 for this, push 2 for that.............  and endless recording after another.  However, scheduling the proctored video is still supported.  So, as of now, I feel that things are still good.  Geeeeeeesh, I hope so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just sent an email to ihealth. I had purchased the test and when I did there was a calendar stating when you need to take the test and it wouldn't allow you to schedule until 30 days out. So I couldn't schedule it I needed for June 10th but then when I looked at it today the calendar is gone and you can't schedule it at all  They don't have any proctored testing times available. The website says it's all sold out and I sent them an email and asking them if they're going to have the other dates available for the rest of the year and if not should I get a refund for the test I purchased.  They just sent email back asking for my address so they can give me a refund.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gdcruise said:

I just sent an email to ihealth. I had purchased the test and when I did there was a calendar stating when you need to take the test and it wouldn't allow you to schedule until 30 days out. So I couldn't schedule it I needed for June 10th but then when I looked at it today the calendar is gone and you can't schedule it at all  They don't have any proctored testing times available. The website says it's all sold out and I sent them an email and asking them if they're going to have the other dates available for the rest of the year and if not should I get a refund for the test I purchased.  They just sent email back asking for my address so they can give me a refund.

I've got a scheduled date for my proctored test on the 11th of this month, Wednesday.  I haven't received any info or notification that it has been/will be canceled.

Maybe they are getting out of the proctored test business.  But, they will honor tests that have already been scheduled, at least that is my hope.  I know that doesn't make you fee any better.  BTW, you can still buy the actual kits on their site, just not the ones that are bundled with the proctored service.  

It's not really a big problem for me.  I've still got the eMed(s) and I can go to my local Urgent Care location, walk in, if something goes wrong with the eMeds, and get a rapid test there, for free and they do meet all the requirements.  So, Wednesday may be a busy day for us.  We'll see.  Fingers crossed!  My proctored iHealth test is scheduled for 9:00 AM Central.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2022 at 9:44 PM, 10-42 said:

I've got a scheduled date for my proctored test on the 11th of this month, Wednesday.  I haven't received any info or notification that it has been/will be canceled.

Maybe they are getting out of the proctored test business.  But, they will honor tests that have already been scheduled, at least that is my hope.  I know that doesn't make you fee any better.  BTW, you can still buy the actual kits on their site, just not the ones that are bundled with the proctored service.  

It's not really a big problem for me.  I've still got the eMed(s) and I can go to my local Urgent Care location, walk in, if something goes wrong with the eMeds, and get a rapid test there, for free and they do meet all the requirements.  So, Wednesday may be a busy day for us.  We'll see.  Fingers crossed!  My proctored iHealth test is scheduled for 9:00 AM Central.  

I sent them an email the other day about it and this was the response I received, so hopefully, it's accurate.  I scheduled tests for us at Wlagreens just in case. 

Screenshot (555).png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

I sent them an email the other day about it and this was the response I received, so hopefully, it's accurate.  I scheduled tests for us at Wlagreens just in case. 

Screenshot (555).png

Thank you so much.  I emailed them about a month ago, not exactly about this issues and never heard back from then.  I figured it was a waste of time to email them with this issue.  Glad you did!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

Thank you so much.  I emailed them about a month ago, not exactly about this issues and never heard back from then.  I figured it was a waste of time to email them with this issue.  Glad you did!!!!

You're welcome.  I'm actually surprised that I received a response, but glad that I did.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...