Jump to content

Logistical questions about the RCCL eMed test process


Recommended Posts

We're booked on the Sunday 4/17 Oasis sailing and will be taking our proctored eMed COVID tests at home on Friday before flying to Miami on Saturday. We have our test kits (plus an extra set) for all five of us (husband, me, 3 tweens/teens), but I have a couple of logistical questions. The "Ready, test, sail" insert with the package says to just scan the QR code on the box to begin the virtual visit. My question is: can we use the same device for all five of us to test--for example, setting up my phone in our best wifi location in the house and then just taking turns scanning the QR code on each box/test--or do we need to use separate individual devices? I'm assuming we have to set up individual sessions with the proctor for each test.  Could anyone who has done the proctored eMed test before sailing with multiple family members share how it all worked and anything you wish you'd known to make the process easier before doing it? Thanks so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Writergina said:

We're booked on the Sunday 4/17 Oasis sailing and will be taking our proctored eMed COVID tests at home on Friday before flying to Miami on Saturday. We have our test kits (plus an extra set) for all five of us (husband, me, 3 tweens/teens), but I have a couple of logistical questions. The "Ready, test, sail" insert with the package says to just scan the QR code on the box to begin the virtual visit. My question is: can we use the same device for all five of us to test--for example, setting up my phone in our best wifi location in the house and then just taking turns scanning the QR code on each box/test--or do we need to use separate individual devices? I'm assuming we have to set up individual sessions with the proctor for each test.  Could anyone who has done the proctored eMed test before sailing with multiple family members share how it all worked and anything you wish you'd known to make the process easier before doing it? Thanks so much!

If using the same device, you will need to reset the browser between each test. Otherwise, the first person to take the test is still logged in.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Writergina said:

We're booked on the Sunday 4/17 Oasis sailing and will be taking our proctored eMed COVID tests at home on Friday before flying to Miami on Saturday. We have our test kits (plus an extra set) for all five of us (husband, me, 3 tweens/teens), but I have a couple of logistical questions. The "Ready, test, sail" insert with the package says to just scan the QR code on the box to begin the virtual visit. My question is: can we use the same device for all five of us to test--for example, setting up my phone in our best wifi location in the house and then just taking turns scanning the QR code on each box/test--or do we need to use separate individual devices? I'm assuming we have to set up individual sessions with the proctor for each test.  Could anyone who has done the proctored eMed test before sailing with multiple family members share how it all worked and anything you wish you'd known to make the process easier before doing it? Thanks so much!

I can't say for sure but some folks in this forum have said that each person (adult) must/should have their own account but can use the same device.  Scanning the QR code directs you to the app that must be used with that particular test kit brand.  That's how I understand it.  I'd say that you open the same app on the same device but you log-in to the individual accounts to take the test and then get the results when you get to the embarkation terminal.  

No matter what, when you start the first telehealth/proctored session, I'm sure the proctor will answer those questions and then you will know for sure.  There may even be a "customer service" phone number to call that will answer those question, from the horses mouth.  I've got 32 days until my next cruise and this will be the first time I've done this pre-cruise testing crap.  On the day that I intend to take the test, that's what I'm going to do, call or connect first.  

There are a lot of people in this forum that provide a lot of great information and have the best of intentions.  But, their experience is just that, their experience.  Their experience may not be what is happening today, at a different location, policies may have changed, whatever.  So, I'd just call on the day of planned testing or earlier or download the app and ask the proctor when you get him/her on the line on the day of planned testing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Writergina said:

We're booked on the Sunday 4/17 Oasis sailing and will be taking our proctored eMed COVID tests at home on Friday before flying to Miami on Saturday. We have our test kits (plus an extra set) for all five of us (husband, me, 3 tweens/teens), but I have a couple of logistical questions. The "Ready, test, sail" insert with the package says to just scan the QR code on the box to begin the virtual visit. My question is: can we use the same device for all five of us to test--for example, setting up my phone in our best wifi location in the house and then just taking turns scanning the QR code on each box/test--or do we need to use separate individual devices? I'm assuming we have to set up individual sessions with the proctor for each test.  Could anyone who has done the proctored eMed test before sailing with multiple family members share how it all worked and anything you wish you'd known to make the process easier before doing it? Thanks so much!

I have not done the test myself yet, but I am on the same sailing with you and have the same plan.  I did find an article that talked about creating accounts for the minors.

How to use eMed and the Navica app to access the only CDC approved, home-based COVID-19 testing kit - MyHealthyApple

 

  I downloaded the NAVICA app (which it says you have to have an account to do the test) and added my son's profile to mine.  All that's left is to take the tests on Friday!  Happy sailing :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just went through the process a couple weeks ago. I can confirm that you need accounts for the adults and under one of the adults you can add multiple profiles in the Navica app for each minor. We did all the tests from the same computer, just needed to log out of my account before my wife logged in to do her test. We didn't need the kid's passports. The proctor just asks for the name of the person being tested then asks for the adult to show their ID.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had 5 adults in my cruise party who did the process. We used 2 devices. My mother's phone kept losing connection no matter where she went. My phone was the best, so I let 3 of them use it. I just had to sign out after each one and then we connected again. I would say do it either at night or after 12pm. We started trying in the morning and had some iffy wait times. Make sure info on your ID is same as info in app. My brother didn't put an initial in the app and they refused to do test until his name matched his ID.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RDU said:

I already have the eMed account and planned to do the testing on my laptop.  Do I still need to install the Navica app?  

You don’t need the app, but you do need a Navica account in addition to eMed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

You don’t need the app, but you do need a Navica account in addition to eMed. 

Okay, that's where I was confused.  Both accounts are needed for the testing.  Yes, clearly I'm that slow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

Don’t feel bad. Took me a while to wrap my brain around it!

And do we both need an account with Navica (me and Hubby)?  It looks like I can add him, sorry again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My question is, we are taking our 12 year old granddaughter as a surprise for her 13th birthday.  She lives in a different state than us but will be traveling to Florida with us.  She arrives in our state the day before our cruise so she will have to be tested in her home state, correct? In order comply with the 2 day rule she will need to be tested the day before she arrives to our home.  Can we send her the eMed testing from Royal Caribbean and have her parents log on to complete the testing with her even though they will NOT be cruising?  Can this be done without the proctors stating it is for a cruise?  We are really trying to keep this a secret from her until we arrive at the cruise port in Miami.  Not sure we are going to be able to😟  Any help to these questions is appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, KimV said:

My question is, we are taking our 12 year old granddaughter as a surprise for her 13th birthday.  She lives in a different state than us but will be traveling to Florida with us.  She arrives in our state the day before our cruise so she will have to be tested in her home state, correct? In order comply with the 2 day rule she will need to be tested the day before she arrives to our home.  Can we send her the eMed testing from Royal Caribbean and have her parents log on to complete the testing with her even though they will NOT be cruising?  Can this be done without the proctors stating it is for a cruise?  We are really trying to keep this a secret from her until we arrive at the cruise port in Miami.  Not sure we are going to be able to😟  Any help to these questions is appreciated.

She would be best to test in her home state because f she is positive you do not want her traveling AND her parents can administer her test.  NO you do not need to say it is for a cruise, they can click off air travel (perfect excuse!).  Just be sure that you can access those results, a print out may be the best thing-sealed in an envelope.
ALSO, seeing  as you are not the custodial parent/guardian you should get the signed letter from the parents giving you permission to take your granddaughter on the cruise.  I would also advise a notarized letter giving you permission to make medical decisions in case of emergency. and get a photo copy of her medical cards to have with you.  I did this with 8 of my Girl Scouts.  You can see a template of the permission to travel form here.  https://www.pdffiller.com/jsfiller-desk16/?requestHash=e5e0bb2364423b69438bc85ff3bc4df9367d046badb6d1fc93fa00b787e06167&projectId=980520727&loader=tips&replace_gtm=false#87d4edbd8211490f839678551668bc03  or google and you will find something.  It does NOT need to be on RC official letterhead but it should be notarized. 

Regarding the testing....2 days ahead of time is the maximum if fully vaxxed, but you can test the day before or even the day of if fully vaxxed (but it's cutting it close)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were 7 of us at my house on the Saturday before our Monday cruise…. We used 2 laptops and it was a breeze.  Each time the next person was going to test they just logged in, entered their info and clicked take test.  We were all done within an hour or so…nothing hard about it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...