Cabins - Royal Caribbean vs You Pick cabin

KimV

We are looking to book a cruise for this June (taking our 12 year old granddaugher for the first time) and the difference in letting the cruise line pick our cabin and we pick (which we have always done) is over $100 difference pp. which comes out to be over a $300 savings by letting them pick our cabin (looking at a balcony cabin).

I would like to know what kind of bad luck/good luck others have had by letting RC pick your cabin.  Your input would be very much appreciated.

If you have any concerns about where you’ll end up, I recommend choosing your cabin yourself.  You can’t tell Royal to put you wherever they want then complain when they do.

It’s really a crap shoot whether you get a “good” cabin or not.

We have booked guarantees more often than not because most of the time we genuinely don’t care where we end up.

When we absolutely want something specific, like the aft balcony cabin we booked for our European cruise, we pay the extra to be able choose it.  

1 hour ago, bigmoose7563 said:

Sure but then you would have to pay whatever the going rate for that room is that day

Not necessarily.  As long as @KandMremain within the same cabin category (they stated 4B to 4B) there would be no change in cruise fare.  With GTY assignments, Royal is generally pretty good about allowing changes to your cabin if there is an alternative available.  If you try and change categories then that's a different story....you would be subject to a fare change.

@KandM, it never hurts to have your TA see about moving to a different cabin or, if you booked direct, just call and see if you can move.  There shouldn't be a change in fare if you don't change categories.

Have done GTY twice now and it's been ok.  Talked with someone on our B2B who were down low somewhere and laying in their bed they claimed they thought someone had installed a magic fingers massager and they were trying to figure out how to turn it off.  Well something like that.  I generally do interior rooms either way and have been on deck 7 or 8 each time.  Thinking about a balcony I have to say that I don't think there would be a single one I wouldn't be happy about other than the room being bright with the sun in the morning when I want to sleep, LOL.