Has anyone been denied boarding? If so, why?

LisaRN97

We sailed last month on another cruise line and everyone had to have a covid test done at port - talk about stressful! At least with RC, you can take your Covid test prior to embarking and arrive with a negative covid test in hand, but I still have a crazy fear of being denied boarding!  Perhaps the fear has been embedded in me from the previous cruises we have taken since the pandemic  - we would see many, many families turned away at port for positive tests.  Back to RC, is it only those with children under 5 who end up testing positive who are turned away?  And those who answer the health questionnaire honestly (exposure to covid question).  We don't sail until April - but I'm having nightmares already! Just looking to calm my nerves.

With Royal Caribbean, unless you have an unvaccinated child who has to be tested again at the port, there is no reason that you should be turned away at the port unless you are missing your documentation.  Make sure you have your passport (or license/birth certificate for closed loop), your vaccine card with 2nd dose at least 14 days before, and a copy of your negative Covid test and you’ll be fine. 

I have a cruise scheduled with the cruise line that tests at port for September and I’m probably cancelling.  I can’t imagine going through that. 

31 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

With Royal Caribbean, unless you have an unvaccinated child who has to be tested again at the port, there is no reason that you should be turned away at the port unless you are missing your documentation.  Make sure you have your passport (or license/birth certificate for closed loop), your vaccine card with 2nd dose at least 14 days before, and a copy of your negative Covid test and you’ll be fine. 

I have a cruise scheduled with the cruise line that tests at port for September and I’m probably cancelling.  I can’t imagine going through that. 

Thank you for your reply. That stress and anxiety of testing at port was insane, and leading up to the trip. It was sad to see families and kids crying because they were denied.  With the other sailings, everting was put into a QR code which made it easy, we didn’t need anything additional at the port, just passport or ID. 

I just need to relax! We can check in online next week - once that’s complete and everything approved there, perhaps I can relax. 😊

I wasn't quite denied boarding but close. I had the official cvs covid pdf document.  However, one of the Intercruise shore agents in Galveston was on  power trip and wouldn't accept it. He kept saying it was a cover sheet and wouldn't even look at it.

Ironically,  we were able to board when I called up the cover sheet on my phone. 

My daughter sailed out on Sunday, and he's still at it. 

Word to the wise, when sailing, print everything covid related. There are some bad agents out there!

We had the same issue when we sailed last week. I brought the only pages that printed,  which the port agent (a lady, so not the same agent as your guy) said was just the cover sheet. She said CVS changed and started doing this about 6 weeks ago, and the port agents have been  hating CVS ever since. I get why they don't accept it - looking back, I don't remember a place that specifically said my test was.negative. Instead is says something like "a negative test only means you were negative when the test was administered". Fortunately I had screen shots of the results from the results text CVS sent on my phone. 

I did go back into my CVS account today so I could screen shot what I had printed, and it looks like they have changed the format to something that is much more obvious. Hopefully it won't be an issue for those going forward. 

2 hours ago, steverk said:

I wasn't quite denied boarding but close. I had the official cvs covid pdf document.  However, one of the Intercruise shore agents in Galveston was on  power trip and wouldn't accept it. He kept saying it was a cover sheet and wouldn't even look at it.

Ironically,  we were able to board when I called up the cover sheet on my phone. 

My daughter sailed out on Sunday, and he's still at it. 

Word to the wise, when sailing, print everything covid related. There are some bad agents out there!

Yikes!  Talk about stress inducing! We will be testing through my husbands work ( he's in the medical field and there is an urgent care facility associated with them) - those results come back in less than 24 hours and are in a PDF that states negative etc... 

1 hour ago, melmar02 said:

We had the same issue when we sailed last week. I brought the only pages that printed,  which the port agent (a lady, so not the same agent as your guy) said was just the cover sheet. She said CVS changed and started doing this about 6 weeks ago, and the port agents have been  hating CVS ever since. I get why they don't accept it - looking back, I don't remember a place that specifically said my test was.negative. Instead is says something like "a negative test only means you were negative when the test was administered". Fortunately I had screen shots of the results from the results text CVS sent on my phone. 

I did go back into my CVS account today so I could screen shot what I had printed, and it looks like they have changed the format to something that is much more obvious. Hopefully it won't be an issue for those going forward. 

What you say is true, but it is a legit test result with all of the required information.  They see enough of them to know this and should behave accordingly.  

7 hours ago, LisaRN97 said:

Thank you for your reply. That stress and anxiety of testing at port was insane, and leading up to the trip. It was sad to see families and kids crying because they were denied.  With the other sailings, everting was put into a QR code which made it easy, we didn’t need anything additional at the port, just passport or ID. 

I just need to relax! We can check in online next week - once that’s complete and everything approved there, perhaps I can relax. 😊

I don’t get why someone wouldn’t self test before heading to a cruise that tests at the port. Seems like a scene could possibly be avoided, if not the disappointment. Especially with children 

3 hours ago, steverk said:

What you say is true, but it is a legit test result with all of the required information.  They see enough of them to know this and should behave accordingly.  

Mine actually didn't say anything about me being negative - the result is missing and is all just generic info about "if" I am negative.

This is what I had at the port and was told they couldn't accept. When I accessed the new version today it says "negative" in giant blue font in the space under the bold "your covid-19 test result" at the top of the page.

Screenshot_20220224-191401_Drive.thumb.jpg.9a6822c87bf40e32ae41ae45e93e1688.jpg

54 minutes ago, fa-li said:

I don’t get why someone wouldn’t self test before heading to a cruise that tests at the port. Seems like a scene could possibly be avoided, if not the disappointment. Especially with children 

Many of the people on DCL are families. 4 Binaxnow tests would cost $40-50 and back in January when there were reports of many families testing positive at the port, were very hard to find.  These were people who were fully vaccinated (DCL requires it for everyone over 5) and had no symptoms. When do you test to ensure no disappointment - before you fly down?  Just because you test negative on Thursday morning before your flight, doesn’t mean you will test negative Friday afternoon.  

DCL also advertises their cruises as part of a “land/sea” vacation (many of their cruises are 3 and 4 days).  Do families test after the “land” portion of their vacation is over?  What’s even the point?  Personally, I find it ironic that DCL has everyone test at the port, but their theme parks went maskless even indoors earlier this month. 

10 hours ago, fa-li said:

The families that we knew from our cruise group on-line, had completed home tests prior to traveling down.  One member in the family tested positive at port, asymptomatic, and was denied boarding.  The testing company  re-run's the same test sample to verify it is positive.  In one situation the testing company notified the state and when the family went to fly home, they were on a do not fly list and were denied check in at the airport.  It was terrible.  Another family left the port and went to a local chain pharmacy to retest, and it came back negative.  Our sailing on DCL in January, 99 people were denied boarding - 800 made it on board.

11 hours ago, melmar02 said:

Mine actually didn't say anything about me being negative - the result is missing and is all just generic info about "if" I am negative.

This is what I had at the port and was told they couldn't accept. When I accessed the new version today it says "negative" in giant blue font in the space under the bold "your covid-19 test result" at the top of the page.

Screenshot_20220224-191401_Drive.thumb.jpg.9a6822c87bf40e32ae41ae45e93e1688.jpg

To clarify, the test results you posted were the ones that gave you trouble, or the one that was accepted?

24 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

The one that gave us trouble. 

20 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Wow, that is the only one I have used for 2 trips now, the one with "Negative" in big blue letters

Sorry, now I see the difference in what I have used and what you had posted.  Thanks for the information, I did not realize the different pages one could print.  What I have has big Blue "Negative" at the top as well as lower down.  Good information to have, and I will be careful what page I print out moving forward.