Help with explaining what is need for a cruise

bmatrose

My family and I are experienced cruisers but our next cruise both my kids are bringing friends who have never cruised before.  Cruising as much as we have I know what to expect and what to pack but I don't know what to communicate to the parents of the kids coming with us.  I found the consent form that is needed to be signed by the parents but other than that I'm having a hard to figuring out what they need to know other then the basics like itinerary.  Anyone have experience with this and can give some advice?

Since they are sailing with experienced cruisers,  most things can simply be considered as surprises for them.  Sometimes, overpreparing can take away the novelty of it.

I would suggest to just stay with the basics - required documents, clothes to wear, toiletries, medication, gadgets & devices they may need.  On my way to the port on every cruise, there is the gnawing feeling that I left something behind. I calm myself by saying, "As long as I have the bare necessities, I'm okay"

The consent form signed by both parents, original vaccination card, negative COVID test, birth certificates or passports are the crucial pieces to get on the ship. You also should consider getting a medical decisions POA just in case something happens and you need to give medical consent for something that parents would typically be responsible for.

Thanks for the responses!  I do feel like im over thinking it, as long as they have the documentation and know what to pack they should be fine.  The COVID testing is giving me the extra stress.   I bought the 6 Pack from EMED so I should be all set but we will need to test people from 3 different households.

2 hours ago, bmatrose said:

The COVID testing is giving me the extra stress. 

I hear ya!  For my first post-COVID cruise in September last year, I was super-stressed for days before the COVID test.  I booked three appointments just to be sure. On the day of the tests, I could feel my heart beating out of my chest until I got the NEGATIVE result(s).  Funny thing is that I could not tell myself to "Stay positive!" lol.

We were on the first sailing of Odyssey back in July and the testing requirement was implemented the Thursday before our Saturday sailing.  So we had to run out Thursday night and find a test and had a backup rapid test down Friday morning before we flew to the port Friday afternoon.  That was super stressful.  At least this time we have the tests in hand and just have to worry about the negative results.

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

The consent form signed by both parents, original vaccination card, negative COVID test, birth certificates or passports are the crucial pieces to get on the ship. You also should consider getting a medical decisions POA just in case something happens and you need to give medical consent for something that parents would typically be responsible for.

This. I do not take someone else’s child anywhere distant without a medical poa. You never know what might happen and better to be safe than sorry

Other than that, it just depends how well you already know the kids. If your family has certain vacation values like packing snacks to avoid hangry situations, or “on time” is 5 minutes early, it may be worth having a general conversation ahead of time so you don’t end up frustrated. When my DD was young, she would ask her potential bring alongs if they could wait without complaining because she knew that was a pet peeve of mine lol