Onboard COVID Testing

JohnDRoc

I recently learned that a family member "felt sick" the day after her cruise started but "fought through it" so she didn't ruin her vacation. She tested negative prior to the cruise and is vaccinated. 

Turns out she does have COVID. She tested as soon as she got home. 

Questions: is it worth bringing up to Royal? Do they have any type of anonymous way to do so? Did she have any option to get tested onboard (I haven't asked her this because it will come across judgmental)?

It seems like other passengers should know. But also, maybe everyone on a cruise ship should assume that someone on board has COVID. 

This is frustrating and I'm disappointed in her. But I suspect she isn't the only person that has done this, and many others will. How can cruising be safe. 

Edited by JohnDRoc
Fixed you

Yes, if she'd reported symptoms onboard they would have tested her. 

I am not sure if, at this point, they would still  have a way to know who her close contacts were, and, honestly, contact tracing in this country has been fairly nonexistent anywhere.

How can cruising be safe?  Well, ships sail between 95-100% vaccinated and tested. A few will slip through the cracks.  My workplace is likely 60% vaccinated at best, no testing unless someone reports symptoms (and then it's up to them to find a place),  and there have been a few who have worked for 3 days before they mentioned it to anyone because they are "tough guys and don't get sick".

So which is safer?

I bring a test kit with me in my luggage. My plan is if I feel ill or in any way think I may have it…I’ll do the test in my room. This way I at least have an idea before I call. *I know, pretty anal!
But…I’ll still call. I’m guessing they do PCR which is much more specific than the rapid antigen test at identifying Covid. It may ruin the cruise for me, but if I do have it, I’d rather have a medical person monitor me in case the infection suddenly affects me in a bad way. Most importantly, I don’t want to be responsible for causing others to get it…especially those who may have a life-threatening reaction. That would be tremendously selfish.