Adventure of the Seas texting through Royal App questions

I saw on one of Matts videos from one of the Adventure sailings that he mentioned being able to pay $1.99 a day to text through the Royal App.

questions:

1. is this a thing one would think would be offered on other ships and sailings?

2. Does it work? I think I have heard trouble previously with texting through the App

3. If it is on a given sailing, can it be ordered through cruise planner or must it be purchased once onboard ship?

Interested in experiences with using this feature on the Adventure or otherwise

14 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I saw on one of Matts videos from one of the Adventure sailings that he mentioned being able to pay $1.99 a day to text through the Royal App.

questions:

1. is this a thing one would think would be offered on other ships and sailings?

2. Does it work? I think I have heard trouble previously with texting through the App

3. If it is on a given sailing, can it be ordered through cruise planner or must it be purchased once onboard ship?

Interested in experiences with using this feature on the Adventure or otherwise

You had to sign up separately and pay to use it. We had the Voom page so we just used whatsapp.

@PoochWhats app is an app that uses wifi/internet/data to text one another as opposed to cell service. If you have iphones, imessage does that naturally. Android phones, I believe, use cell service for texting so an app that uses wifi/data allows one to text others with a Voom package and prevents cell charges by your carrier..

3 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Royal told me it's going to be available on all ships going forward. I'll verify on Freedom this weekend.

Yes, worked well between my wife and I when we tested it out over two days. Push notifications were coming through

So far, I've only seen option to purchase on the ship

14 minutes ago, Tyro said:

I thought remembered a time where you could still use iMessage even without paying for it, as the Royal Internet was not able to block it, is this no longer the case?

That was still a thing on Adventure when I was on the other week.

On 6/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, Matt said:

That was still a thing on Adventure when I was on the other week.

Just to confirm, that was without Voom and the messaging in the app?

We’re on Adventure this Saturday so I’ve been debating this, particularly because we have a 12 year old we need to keep in contact with. On Harmony in 2019, iMessages came through with no problem. I assume they use the same port as the app. Messaging through the app was hit or miss then though.

I’d really love to be completely disconnected and spend that money elsewhere!

The unintended "free" iMessage loophole was available on RoyalIQ ships at the time such as Harmony and Anthem.  It was a side effect of allowing push notifications through for the chat feature built into the old RoyalIQ app.

I don't recall it working on Adventure when I sailed her a few times in that era however if Matt says it worked I'm wondering if that's because he paid the $2 fee for Royal chat which relies on push notifications and therefore iMessage rode on top of that like it did in the old RoyalIQ app days.

Your feedback once aboard Adventure will be very interesting.

11 hours ago, Biff215 said:

Just to confirm, that was without Voom and the messaging in the app?

Yes, I would sign my phone from Voom so I could use it on the laptop, but I'd still get imessages coming through.

To be clear, I would not bet on it being a loophole for your cruise necessarily.