Wrong Cruise Line, but still a good sign?

Carnival Is Crewing Up Its Cruise Fleet

The cruise industry continues to near a restart in the United States as Carnival Cruise Line has begun the process of bringing crew back to its fleet of cruise ships.

“We are delighted we have now reached the point where we can invite our crew back to the ships,” was what the line wrote in an email sent to select crew and obtained by Cruise Industry News.

Carnival said its team had been “very busy” working with relevant health authorities in developing health and safety protocols to enable a return to guest operations.

“As you can imagine, there have been many changes implemented since you were last onboard,” the email continued, “all developed with the health and safety of everyone in mind.”

The cruise line said in the letter it expects to ramp up its fleet and an email series for crew will launched to help them prepare for what’s ahead, what to do at home, when they will travel and the new way of life onboard.

Carnival also said it would be sending out additional communications to crew over the next several weeks.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

It's coming.  The restart will soon be upon us...

Tripping I Feel It GIF by MOODMAN

Crossing everything that can be crossed!

EDIT:  Actually my son is working on his visas now.  He's joining the Virgin ship on March 15th.  He was already on board last year as the ship was prepping for its inaugural. But he was sent home a few months after the pandemic hit.

40 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Crossing everything that can be crossed!

EDIT:  Actually my son is working on his visas now.  He's joining the Virgin ship on March 15th.  He was already on board last year as the ship was prepping for its inaugural. But he was sent home a few months after the pandemic hit.

Great news!  Keep us informed as he progresses.

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

Great news!  Keep us informed as he progresses.

The only "progress" I can share for now is that I had to loan him some money to take care of his papers.  Most crew members have depleted their savings while waiting for cruising to resume.

13 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

The only "progress" I can share for now is that I had to loan him some money to take care of his papers.  Most crew members have depleted their savings while waiting for cruising to resume.

As have I early in this when service jobs were lost.  Rent still needed to be paid.  I understand all too well.  

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Does RC pay for the transportation to/from the employees' home countries before and after a contract?

Could be a challenge to get the crew to ships if they have to pay their own way after a year with no income.

In the Philippines, there are agencies that handle all of these expenses. They are reimbursed with their cut from the remittances from crew members.  The agencies also handle these remittances.

13 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Actually my son is working on his visas now.  He's joining the Virgin ship on March 15th.

I had forgotten that Virgin never even got to get up and running as an operating cruise line because of all this. This sounds promising, though. All the best to your son!