Royal changed my refundable cruises to non-refundable

jupiter03

Has this happened to anyone else? I always book refundable cruises since I book them years ahead of time and am never sure what might happen.

I had two spring break cruises booked for Mar 2021 on Liberty, but they were cancelled earlier this year for the expected drydock. Royal allowed me to move one to June 2021 on the Liberty and one to Mar2021 on Adventure, each with some OBC for my inconvenience. When the Liberty drydock was cancelled and the original cruises returned to be able to book, I cancelled the Adventure cruise and rebooked my original Mar2021 Liberty cruise. However, it turned out that both cruises had been converted to non-refundable fares, which was in very fine print of the invoices Royal provided.  So instead of receiving a refund, I have received a $150 refund and $100 FCC. I have no idea what happened to the rest of deposit ($500) and nobody can tell me.

This made me look through the fine print of my other invoices and this has also happened to the two Allure of the Seas cruises I booked for Mar2022, which were cancelled (so sad!) and automatically changed to analogous Liberty cruises. Both were originally refundable and now both are non-refundable. To add insult to injury, one of them was not price protected according to the invoice and is much higher than my original booking. 

I know that Royal is super busy with the endless cancellations, but I'm pretty annoyed with these mistakes and how long it's taking to fix.  It's been several weeks since I first noticed all these errors and none have been corrected yet. My TA is always talking about how behind Royal is, but something like this seems like it should be an easy fix for something that is obviously their mistake. Did this happen to anybody else and does anybody have any advice? I don't want to keep bothering my TA so that she keeps bothering Royal, but I don't want to fall through the cracks.

27 minutes ago, lh193 said:

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. I guess their computers must automatically default to non-refundable.

Yes they do automatically default to non-refundable. I have been able to fix it for people on the same day or the next day, so hopefully you or your agent can call in and figure it out.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:15 AM, lh193 said:

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. I guess their computers must automatically default to non-refundable.

They definitely do! I second Sharla - the Royal reps automatically default to Non-Refundable Deposit rates when you call in (just like the website). I always specify 'Refundable' and usually double or even triple check that it's still Refundable before I hang up. Hopefully they should be able to fix it for you!

Could it be they did it to keep the cost lower (even though you didn't request- assuming you wanted the lower cost)?  That happened with me when I had a refundable deposit and moved to a later cruise - it was re-booked as non-refundable and I didn't realize under a few days later when I received the invoice.