Unlimited dining package vs Costal Kitchen

12thman

Although I've done Star Class before and suffered that food fatigue, I prefer the variety and would do the UDP over CK.  The CK lunch menu doesn't change and you can use the UDP for lunches.  I'm a big fan of sushi and I like the a la carte Izumi sushi option that the UDP affords.  I love the CK venue on the Oasis class ships for the views, but if you have full CK access then you have the suite lounge access anyways and can partake in those views.  CK is worlds better than the MDR, so I understand wanting to take advantage of it if you have access but if this is your first time on Royal you might also want to try as many of the specialty venues as you can so you get a good sampling of what they have to offer in order to plan your next Royal cruise.

46 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Although I've done Star Class before and suffered that food fatigue, I prefer the variety and would do the UDP over CK.  The CK lunch menu doesn't change and you can use the UDP for lunches.  I'm a big fan of sushi and I like the a la carte Izumi sushi option that the UDP affords.  I love the CK venue on the Oasis class ships for the views, but if you have full CK access then you have the suite lounge access anyways and can partake in those views.  CK is worlds better than the MDR, so I understand wanting to take advantage of it if you have access but if this is your first time on Royal you might also want to try as many of the specialty venues as you can so you get a good sampling of what they have to offer in order to plan your next Royal cruise.

I think Ashley makes some very good points like the lunch options as well as the variety that the UDP offers as contrasted with the CK.  I am not saying that the CK is not a good venue.  Far from it.  Especially on the Oasis class ships, due to the beautiful view and style of that CK, it is a solid choice but I like having the option to go ANYwhere I want to go, including the CK.  Unless you have the UDP you will not have that option (except for full price, of course).

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think Ashley makes some very good points like the lunch options as well as the variety that the UDP offers as contrasted with the CK.  I am not saying that the CK is not a good venue.  Far from it.  Especially on the Oasis class ships, due to the beautiful view and style of that CK, it is a solid choice but I like having the option to go ANYwhere I want to go, including the CK.  Unless you have the UDP you will not have that option (except for full price, of course).

Totally agree. I like having the freedom to go wherever I want to go. I will never eat in the MDR again. Just my personal opinion and choice but I find the food really bad. 

4 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Although I've done Star Class before and suffered that food fatigue, I prefer the variety and would do the UDP over CK.  The CK lunch menu doesn't change...

The lunch menu in CK does change the entire trip? What about breakfast? We have Sky class so we were thinking about having some breakfast and lunch in CK.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:59 AM, 12thman said:

Yes, originally had that then the unlimited went on sale and doing the math for lunch and dinner it was a really go deal. Then came across people mentioning how go CK is and how the menu rotated nightly. Which I thought stayed the same every night which didn't interest me. That's why I put up the question here as to which is better unlimited dining package or Coastal Kitchen so I could get some feedback to decide what to do. As of right now I still have the unlimited dining package.

This is exactly where I'm at. CK is looking good, but the unlimitedness of the UDP plus Izumi, is what is keeping me booked (@ $175/pp) for now. 

13 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

This is exactly where I'm at. CK is looking good, but the unlimitedness of the UDP plus Izumi, is what is keeping me booked (@ $175/pp) for now. 

We're thinking the same!! So difficult to decide. 

12 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

If you can get a good price on the UDP, might want to go ahead and get it.  For us, we like having the option to go to the CK for dinner instead of the WJ or MDR if we don't feel like doing a specialty.  I will say, I really enjoy the CK breakfast every morning.  It's really nice and peaceful and the food has always been excellent #EggsBenedict   Lunch and dinner are always good backups in there if we aren't feeling anything else.