Live Blog from Adventure of the Seas 8/31-9/7 Canada and New England Cruise

Rimmit

I am the Husband. Lol.  My wife writes and i do the photography.  All pics were taken by me.  95% Canon 5d Mark IV and 5% iPhone. Thanks for the compliments.  It was our first cruise live blog and second live blog ever,  so we appreciate the feedback.

Our kids travel relatively well.  They have their moments as all kids do,  but We love taking them places just to see their  expressions when they see or explore new places.

12 hours ago, Rimmit said:

Not live any more, but this was our live blog of our Canada and New England Cruise.

This was such a gift for those of us who are booked on this cruise.  What a fabulous blog and beautiful family you have.  If it's ok, I may inundate you with many questions from now until July! What a wonderful experience I had going through this with your family.!

11 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

This was such a gift for those of us who are booked on this cruise.  What a fabulous blog and beautiful family you have.  If it's ok, I may inundate you with many questions from now until July! What a wonderful experience I had going through this with your family.!

Absolutely.  Feel free to ask any questions.  I am working on reviews of all the tours:  check back here or subscribe to our blog to see when they get posted.  Happy to help.

it was a great cruise.  We lucked out and had perfect weather the whole time.

@Rimmit, did you find there was a lot of scenery to enjoy while sailing up and down the coast, or were you too far away from land when not in port to really see anything?

I've always felt like this is a cruise similar to Alaska, where if you can afford a balcony room and don't mind paying for it, it would be beneficial just for enjoying the scenery as you go along, but I'm starting to think that an interior room could be totally fine since the view can be taken in from plenty of places on the ship; helipad, Viking Crown Lounge, Windjammer, pool deck...

With a balcony, I'd only have a view of the landscape at most half of the time (either on the way up or the way down, depending on which side of the ship your room was on), and the rest of the time would just be views of the ocean (which I do also happen to love). I'd also think that even by late August, it would be getting cool enough once up around Bar Harbor that a balcony might be less-used than on a Caribbean or Bermuda/Bahamas itinerary. And of course, there was that fog you woke up to one day...

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@Rimmit, did you find there was a lot of scenery to enjoy while sailing up and down the coast, or were you too far away from land when not in port to really see anything?

I've always felt like this is a cruise similar to Alaska, where if you can afford a balcony room and don't mind paying for it, it would be beneficial just for enjoying the scenery as you go along, but I'm starting to think that an interior room could be totally fine since the view can be taken in from plenty of places on the ship; helipad, Viking Crown Lounge, Windjammer, pool deck...

With a balcony, I'd only have a view of the landscape at most half of the time (either on the way up or the way down, depending on which side of the ship your room was on), and the rest of the time would just be views of the ocean (which I do also happen to love). I'd also think that even by late August, it would be getting cool enough once up around Bar Harbor that a balcony might be less-used than on a Caribbean or Bermuda/Bahamas itinerary. And of course, there was that fog you woke up to one day...

We were typically too far to enjoy the scenery unless we were going into and out of port.  It is not like Alaska, New Zealand or Norway where you cruise and are surrounded by beautiful scenery.  I do not think a balcony would be beneficial for a a sightseeing perspective.   They had an unusually hot year for the Canadian coast. They said it was 90s and humid and a pretty miserable summer.  When we were there is was spectacular and mid 70s as the high and lows of 60.   There was only one night when we went to the hot tub that the temps dipped into the high 40s and it was raining and foggy.  It felt great in the hot tub but would have been miserable to be on deck.

If you got a balcony it would be for the ocean views.   The weather was pleasant enough to sit out there on our cruise but I am betting you could luck out and it could be too cool come sept as well.   

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Rimmit said:

Our review of Oli’s Trolleys 4 hour Acadia National park tour for those considering it.

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/09/10/olis-trolleys-4-hour-acadia-national-park-review/

Thanks for sharing this, I'll be considering this if we do a group cruise in 2020 to CA/NE, or any future CA/NE sailing.

Re-read your main blog entry for that day, saw you were up at 6 and even then didn't get tendered over until 8:30. Is that simply because of time needed to get breakfast with your kids, or was there also a delay while waiting for Royal-hosted excursions and suite passengers to get tendered first? Did you find yourself waiting in line for the tender a long time, or having to get on that line as fast as possible after breakfast? Or was it a little more laid back than all that, since Adventure is a "smaller" ship (at least compared to Anthem)?

That's about the only concern I have with booking a third-party excursion at a tender port; if there's any delay getting off the ship due to those priority passengers, there goes the excursion I booked. My kids are teens and we can scarf down a quick breakfast when needed, but the variable about how early to get in line for the tender and worrying about how rapidly they're shuttling back and forth would drive the control freak in me kind of nuts. ?

Now THAT was a fun blog - thank you so much for sharing!

I kept having to revise which of your photos was my favorite, but I think I'm going to 

stick with the one of your beautiful daughter dancing in the gazebo.  What a fine looking

family, and your kids are adorable.

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Thanks for sharing this, I'll be considering this if we do a group cruise in 2020 to CA/NE, or any future CA/NE sailing.

Re-read your main blog entry for that day, saw you were up at 6 and even then didn't get tendered over until 8:30. Is that simply because of time needed to get breakfast with your kids, or was there also a delay while waiting for Royal-hosted excursions and suite passengers to get tendered first? Did you find yourself waiting in line for the tender a long time, or having to get on that line as fast as possible after breakfast? Or was it a little more laid back than all that, since Adventure is a "smaller" ship (at least compared to Anthem)?

That's about the only concern I have with booking a third-party excursion at a tender port; if there's any delay getting off the ship due to those priority passengers, there goes the excursion I booked. My kids are teens and we can scarf down a quick breakfast when needed, but the variable about how early to get in line for the tender and worrying about how rapidly they're shuttling back and forth would drive the control freak in me kind of nuts. ?

It’s only because I have small/young kids. Everything takes doubly long with them as you well know.  They take forever to feed.  They need to potty at the worst times, etc.  We were there SUPER early so we ended up walking around and taking pics.  We are always cautious with young kids on timing and it is always better to be early than late.  

I also love to do photography and the early morning hours are the best light so,  even if we are early I can take pics and the kids can play.  Or I can take pics of the kiddos playing which is even better.  Lol.  There were many people who took a later tender,  we just didn’t want to risk it,  but in reality my wife and I both agreed we coulda gotten up at 7:00 and still been fine.  There was no line for the tender that early.  They didn’t start handing out tender tickets till 8am so we were the first tender.

If you have teens you will be much faster and efficient.

4 hours ago, Floski said:

Now THAT was a fun blog - thank you so much for sharing!

I kept having to revise which of your photos was my favorite, but I think I'm going to 

stick with the one of you beautiful daughter dancing in the gazebo.  What a fine looking

family, and your kids are adorable.

Thanks again!

Thank you.  I am very biased, but I would have to agree on the kids front. ?  They are a blast to take places.  They have a real zest for life.  What's funny is people always ask me how much I pose them... and the irony is almost none.  Kids just do the funnest things on their own.  

So for those interested, we are starting a live blog on the Norwegian Breakaway TA. This may be somewhat relevant to RCI cruisers, as we primarily cruise RCI, and are Diamond and almost Diamond Plus and this is our first Norwegian Cruise since 1991, so it will basically be new to us. Much of our commentary will be somewhat of a comparison between the two lines. We are very anxious stepping outside our comfort zone of Disney and RCI, but the price was right and itinerary a little different. 

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/09/30/northern-transatlantic-cruise-live-blog-day-1/