Independence of the Seas

We are book on Indy for next April, we are seeing a lot of reviews about over crowding and long waits for dinner since the refurb. From more experienced crusiers is this something they will control better as time goes on?  We are considering looking at other options for that month, like Vision of the Seas. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Having sailed on Liberty and Freedom, both of which have the new cabins (Liberty got more than Freedom did) I'm a bit surprised.

I noted a lot of people complaining about it even before Indy went into dry dock.  Especially on some other forums. 

I wonder if the complaints you have seen are because of the pre-dry dock complaining or if there is something to it.  With a seed planted, people will 'find' it so because subconsciously they are predisposed to, having read dire predictions. 

It could also be that she is selling really well right now due to all the hype.  Perhaps she is carrying more than she will once everything falls into a pattern and settles down.   Summer crowds on any ship tend to be high just because it is summer so perhaps that is a factor.

Having sailed her just prior to dry dock I'm going to hold my judgement until I experience it myself, but I will be booking Indy again, for sure. 

I thought I had read that there were a lot of extra cabins added to Indy in dry dock. I found Indy to feel more crowded and busy than Navigator for example to start with. I think a few extra hundred people could make a difference with a sold out ship for sure.

We all know that Royal is removing open general spaces and filling them with "to pay" options.....so that alone will result in less space per guest.

It's difficult to quantify what "crowded" and "long lines" constitutes exactly. One person's short wait is another person's "worst wait ever".

Personally, I don't put much stock in reviews as a means of determining which ship you should or should not sail on. This isn't TripAdvisor where you're trying to figure out if the hotel is in a bad area of town or has bed bugs.  Rather, so many complaints end up in subjective areas of preference and opinion. 

I read the reviews too, but use it for entertainment value.

We'll be on Independence in November and the negative reviews won't stop us.  We also have been on Liberty after the dry dock during spring break and never experienced the crowds as described.  Maybe the crowds are just normal to us as we cruise during school breaks and the 3rd and 4th person occupancy rate is higher than non-school break times. I sometimes use the negative reviews as a lesson on what not to do.  I tend to be realistic as nothing is perfect on any cruise but the bad isn't really all that bad.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

It's difficult to quantify what "crowded" and "long lines" constitutes exactly. One person's short wait is another person's "worst wait ever".

Personally, I don't put much stock in reviews as a means of determining which ship you should or should not sail on. This isn't TripAdvisor where you're trying to figure out if the hotel is in a bad area of town or has bed bugs.  Rather, so many complaints end up in subjective areas of preference and opinion. 

I read the reviews too, but use it for entertainment value.

Totally agree 

What one person likes another may dislike, likewise what someone finds bad or annoying others may think is good. 

Everyone is different and shouldn't read to much into negative comments as that's just a person's personal opinion