Harmony (a different prospective)

1 minute ago, mworkman said:

She's a monster.  Were you flying your drone over the Allure when she went out 25 Feb 18? We had one hovering over us as we left port.

That wasn’t me. There are no less then 10 drones in the air right around 4:45pm though on Sat & Sunday’s just waiting to get good shots. 

4 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

That wasn’t me. There are no less then 10 drones in the air right around 4:45pm though on Sat & Sunday’s just waiting to get good shots. 

I'm not a drone owner but 10 drones jockeying for position seems like an invitation for a collision and loss of drone, potentially falling onto the ship.  Is that a real fear or do you folks find ways to fly the friendly skies together?

On 3/17/2018 at 8:59 PM, twangster said:

I'm not a drone owner but 10 drones jockeying for position seems like an invitation for a collision and loss of drone, potentially falling onto the ship.  Is that a real fear or do you folks find ways to fly the friendly skies together?

Along those lines, I'd be concerned about it falling into the ocean and/or otherwise breaking.  But then again, I'd assume a drone owner would practice before attempting this.

Also, the DJI drones have a "fly home" feature, if I'm not mistaken.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Along those lines, I'd be concerned about it falling into the ocean and/or otherwise breaking.  But then again, I'd assume a drone owner would practice before attempting this.

Also, the DJI drones have a "fly home" feature, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, DJI has really advanced drones. They have redundant flight systems and a multitude of obstacle avoidance systems onboard. You have to be a major F@ckup to crash one these days. There is not a high likelyhood of a crash or failure. 

So my son is a drone pilot and is in the process of getting his FAA Part 107 certifications and noticed that FLL was in the background in some of the pictures.  And according to him flying so close to a major airport (within 5 miles) is unauthorized unless you received ATC clearance.  Thoughts from those who are drone pilots?

3 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

So my son is a drone pilot and is in the process of getting his FAA Part 107 certifications and noticed that FLL was in the background in some of the pictures.  And according to him flying so close to a major airport (within 5 miles) is unauthorized unless you received ATC clearance.  Thoughts from those who are drone pilots?

The DJI map will show you it’s within the 5mi radius but not in the “red restricted airspace”. Not necessary to call ATC, besides, it’s literally the backyard of my home and I fly over the coast guard vessels every weekend. They wave at me!

3 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

This weekend I will fly by the USCG cutter and take a pic of them waving for you.