Understanding refundable deposits

Also when you think about what you are insuring with paying for refundable that in reality if you have a non-refundable and you can change your sailing (different date, different ship, different itinerary is okay) before the full payment date instead of a full cancel your penalty is actually $100 pp, not $500.

Travel insurance doesn’t always cover every scenario.  “My dog is sick and we can’t cruise” is not covered by most insurance policies. 

Travel insurance is rarely something that covers everything.  It depends.  There are covered events that are typically well documented.  Losing your job or an adult child is having a baby, or is graduating from the military, may not be covered events.   

When my child had a change in their military graduation I walked away from a cruise and got zero despite having an annual travel insurance policy.  It was not a covered event. 

Just like refundable airfare there is an up charge for the flexibility that refundable fares offer.  

Rather than thinking of a refundable fare difference as an up charge, think of non-refundable fares as including a discount for committing, locking in, and having reduced flexibility.