MyTime isn’t really my time?

On Explorer of the Seas. MyTime is supposed to start at 6.45pm. 

However that’s not really the case, at 6.45pm you have to stand and watch everyone with a reservation be seated first.  Last night that took about 30-40 minutes, we had to wait 50 minutes and missed a show. 

The absolute earliest you might get a table is 7.15 if you got in at the front of the line.  If not at the front of the line it could be 7.45.  Makes it difficult to plan any evening entertainment. 

It’s completely different from our last cruise where there seemed to be a dedicated MyTime dining room and we waited no more than 5 minutes for a table.

Looks like we’ll miss our entertainment again tonight!

I highly recommend taking advantage of the reservation option in the cruise planner, and the earlier in your planning the better. Essentially My Time is now more 'when I feel like eating not at the early or late seating times' and you have way more control over it. I honestly wouldn't bother going to the MDR without a reservation - if I didn't have one it would be because we are planning to eat somewhere else that night. I study the itinerary, estimate what time we'll be back on board on port days, put some cushion in there for a shower, etc, and set a time. I set them up for the whole cruise, and then make adjustments when I get on board. 

On 4/20/2024 at 8:04 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

MyTime now means "make a reservation" and "if you want a particular time you better make that reservation the day that reservations open."

55 minutes ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

I highly recommend taking advantage of the reservation option in the cruise planner, and the earlier in your planning the better. Essentially My Time is now more 'when I feel like eating not at the early or late seating times' and you have way more control over it. I honestly wouldn't bother going to the MDR without a reservation - if I didn't have one it would be because we are planning to eat somewhere else that night. I study the itinerary, estimate what time we'll be back on board on port days, put some cushion in there for a shower, etc, and set a time. I set them up for the whole cruise, and then make adjustments when I get on board. 

Heh...I make my reservations as soon as they open...usually 1 yr in advance. My next cruise was a short notice one and only had about 60 days prior but still was able to make my reservations @ 7:00 PM.

We always book mytime dining times through the App/Cruise planner. That way we have a spot reserved. Without exception, we always have a table for 2 and have thus far, been seated with the same servers each night. A quick pleasant chat at the desk on the way out on the first night takes care of that.