Odyssey / Quantum -- Royal's Dud?

I was on Odyssey in Nov of 2022 the first sailing after the end of the Med season. She was very low on the totem pole for me as far as Royal's ships go. My major dislikes were the layout, the Esplanade, and lack of decent shows. This was still during the restart so a lot of the specialty restaurants and such left a lot to be desired as well; we could never get service at Playmakers. I didn't have a problem with the elevators. I had more of a problem that if you didn't go a certain way, you wouldn't be able to access your room. I actually decided Quantum class was a one and done and that I wouldn't sail that class of ship again. After that I have sailed a lot of more classes and ships. So, I begin to look on Odyssey with more grace. I am sailing Quantum to Alaska in Sept. I wouldn't call this class a dud, more so an outlier. 

Given the description of the elevators on Odyssey, this might be an issue for my wife. She has benign cerebellar tremor, which causes her hands to shake all the time. If using those elevators requires steadily pointing a finger in front of a button but not touching it, she may get very frustrated if she constantly sets off all the neighboring buttons due to the tremor.

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Given the description of the elevators on Odyssey, this might be an issue for my wife. She has benign cerebellar tremor, which causes her hands to shake all the time. If using those elevators requires steadily pointing a finger in front of a button but not touching it, she may get very frustrated if she constantly sets off all the neighboring buttons due to the tremor.

This could happen, but really it's not as big of a deal as reading this thread leads one to believe.  We met a lot of different people on the elevator.  We always had a conversation starter w/"don't get too close to the elevator buttons, or we'll have to stop at all the floors".  Yes, sometimes we stopped on some extra floors.  Twice we even got to ride in the elevator w/ the surprise piano player!   We enjoyed the journey.  We were on vacation.  The elevator can be one of your favorite memories of the ship.  It's all in the  perspective.

9 hours ago, JLMoran said:

She won't have any issues, one can just press the buttons like a normal elevator; 3/4 of the time that's what I did just out of habit.

16 hours ago, JBC said:

I was on a sold out Odyssey in February.  Can confirm that while I personally didn't have trouble operating the elevator buttons, lots of people did.  Which leads to lots of unnecessary stops and lots of waiting for elevators.  It's definitely an issue and a common complaint regarding that ship.  On a sold out sailing, it was awful.  

I echo pretty much everything the original poster said.  Super clean ship, food and service were great.  The layout is not conducive to crowds and is generally a bit odd.  I also did not go to 270 at all.  All I ever noticed going on there was "The Book" which I have seen before and is terrible.  So I never had a reason to go there.  Yet every trivia event was held at the pub or schooner, and they were all packed to the gills 20 mins before they started.  Not a good plan, the music hall and 270 are 4 times the size and both seemed very underutilized all week.  It seems I spent way too much time all week looking for chairs at the pub, schooner and the pool deck/solarium.  Way more so than on other ships.     

WOW

I thought The Book was the 2nd best Royal Production I have ever seen (behind Mama Mia). We went to it twice when we were on Odyssey in March.

22 hours ago, need2cruz said:

This could happen, but really it's not as big of a deal as reading this thread leads one to believe.  We met a lot of different people on the elevator.  We always had a conversation starter w/"don't get too close to the elevator buttons, or we'll have to stop at all the floors".  Yes, sometimes we stopped on some extra floors.  Twice we even got to ride in the elevator w/ the surprise piano player!   We enjoyed the journey.  We were on vacation.  The elevator can be one of your favorite memories of the ship.  It's all in the  perspective.

I feel like that applies to almost anything read online. People focus on the negatives(food, or travel in general). Once you try it out yourself it’s actually a positive experience. 

I have cruised freedom class 4 times, voyager class once, radiance class once and vision class 4 times
First time on oasis class will be July then radiance class in August, B2B2B on ovation in October and then TA on Odyssey in April next year

every class has its good and bad points and I haven’t found a totally bad RC class yet.

Absolutely nothing can compare to the TUI ship I sailed on (Thompson Discovery) in the early 2000’s that was a nightmare to navigate - it had half decks, stairs that didn’t go where you would expect and was generally horrible as a cruise ship. But it was cheap for a family with 4 kids and it gave us the ability to cruise and take the kids places we wouldn’t have seen otherwise

now as an older adult I don’t need water slides and entertainment 24/7 so I think the quantum class is going to be fine for us and I look forward to taking my now adult kids and grandkids on oasis ships in Europe in the next few years

On 4/5/2024 at 10:27 AM, michaelp1446 said:

It seemed that the sensitivity had been adjusted from 2 years ago to reduce the number of false button pushes. When the elevator gets packed, there seemed to be a lot of people that accidentally leaned against the buttons. I don't know which was a brighter red -the buttons or the faces of those who realized what they had done😳

If the buttons were reduced to make them less sensitive, I can't imagine what they were like before. As it is now, if you're within 6 inches of the button is lights up. As I said, on easily 95% of the elevator trips I took there were buttons accidentally hit either by people while I was on it or by people who had just gotten off. If it was more sensitive before, you must've not even been able to stand in the elevator without setting them off. 

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

If the buttons were reduced to make them less sensitive, I can't imagine what they were like before. As it is now, if you're within 6 inches of the button is lights up. As I said, on easily 95% of the elevator trips I took there were buttons accidentally hit either by people while I was on it or by people who had just gotten off. If it was more sensitive before, you must've not even been able to stand in the elevator without setting them off. 

you just had to be standing close...I believe there were a lot of complaints when she first came out.. I did notice that not every floor would light up this past cruise as had in the past.