Bartender Front of house vs. utility bartender

I'd like to better understand how my drink is being made and who gets the tip when I don't order at the bar. I was recently on the Allure, in Boleros Latin Club, and ordered a Mojito at the bar. I then went and found a seat in the lounge area and ordered another drink with a waiter. I noticed that he did not go to the bar, which was about 20ft away, but instead walked to the opposite end of Baleros Latin Club and disappeared into what appeared to be kitchen doors. I received my drink, but it was not taste like the first drink made by the bartender.

I found myself going back to the bartender for my drinks while the waiter watched. The remainder of the cruise I noticed the exact same thing happen across different areas. If I didn't order directly at a bar, the waiter would disappear to another area, but still very close to the bar venue I'm in, and then reappear with my drink order. 

To clarify, I'm not talking about the MDR or any show venues. 

Edit: I recently read a Reddit AMA from a Royal bartender. He stated that, he received the auto gratuity for every drink he served. That's a big motivation to give prompt service, which is great for everyone. Do the waiters get the same? Are they the ones actually making a drink? 

Edited by jtousch
Replies have drifted away from main topic

I've always assumed there was a service bar in some venues for the servers to use as not to slow down the actual bartenders.

We were on Jewel a couple years ago and at the advice of a couple we met, they told us always to look for a specific server.

He brought every drink as a double.

I have absolutely no idea how it works on cruise ships, but I help out at my buddy's brewery + cocktail bar once or twice a month as needed and we do something a bit similar to what it sounds like may be happening there. We have a main bar area where people can walk up, order, and sit at as space allows. We also have roaming servers but when they take an order, and on busy days it redirects those orders back to a "behind the scenes" back bar. This is so that we have fewer bartenders bumping in to each other (and slowing things down) up front. On quieter days, it's not rerouted and the back bar isn't used too much. 

Some newer Starbucks do things like this too, in that they have two prep areas - one for drive-thru and one for in-store. 

It’s been this way.  My understanding is once you’ve found a bartender who makes a drink the way you like it stick with them.  I had a waitress swear she made a better chocolate martini than the bartender in the Pub on Anthem.  She was wrong, hers tasted like trash.  Lesson learned!

I like ordering at the bar because I can see if they are using the vodka I ask for, though I can taste the difference if the waiter goes behind the scenes and makes my drink. My days of bellying up to the bar and hanging out to drink are pretty much gone, but I do know usually a good tip gets you prompt service and a good drink.?

4 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

It’s been this way.  My understanding is once you’ve found a bartender who makes a drink the way you like it stick with them.  I had a waitress swear she made a better chocolate martini than the bartender in the Pub on Anthem.  She was wrong, hers tasted like trash.  Lesson learned!

I like ordering at the bar because I can see if they are using the vodka I ask for, though I can taste the difference if the waiter goes behind the scenes and makes my drink. My days of bellying up to the bar and hanging out to drink are pretty much gone, but I do know usually a good tip gets you prompt service and a good drink.?

Funny- the pubs are where I notice this most. They servers take your orders and go to the back room, not to the bartenders. And our server also swore he made a special mocktail that no one else made and talked me into it. It was actually really good, though. 

As most have said, each waiter makes there own drinks in the service bar that is through those doors that you don't see.

I have no idea how charged gratuity tips work when you pay individualy for a drink.  But for cash tips, generally the bar tenders at the bar itself pool among themselves.  Wear as wait staff are each on there own.

Recently, seams they have cracked down on all bar tenders measuring pours, last 6-8 months tip or no tip pours are the same measured.  No healty pours as experienced right after start up