Sushi Class - is this the new normal?

Background- my wife and I attended the sushi making class on Independence back in 2019. It was 12 of us in Izumi with the chef. Pretty intimate experience and we learned a lot. 

Today- currently in Allure, my daughter wanted to do the class so we booked it way in advance to ensure a seat for the 3 of us. Mainly because we expected the same type environment as before. 

Well, we were way way way wrong in our thinking. Intimate environment changed to 80+ people in another area of the ship sitting at two loooong tables. We ended up at the far end of the table from the chef which led to a de facto game of telephone being played during the course on what we were doing. I ended up “teaching” the people around me just so they could stay caught up as the class was very rushed feeling. I did notice most didn’t stay to eat once we were done. 

Maybe I’m wrong with my criticism of this but it just feels like a massive money grab by RC to conduct the class in this method. Plus the reduction in food quality showed as well. 

7 minutes ago, Smokey79 said:

Background- my wife and I attended the sushi making class on Independence back in 2019. It was 12 of us in Izumi with the chef. Pretty intimate experience and we learned a lot. 

Today- currently in Allure, my daughter wanted to do the class so we booked it way in advance to ensure a seat for the 3 of us. Mainly because we expected the same type environment as before. 

Well, we were way way way wrong in our thinking. Intimate environment changed to 80+ people in another area of the ship sitting at two loooong tables. We ended up at the far end of the table from the chef which led to a de facto game of telephone being played during the course on what we were doing. I ended up “teaching” the people around me just so they could stay caught up as the class was very rushed feeling. I did notice most didn’t stay to eat once we were done. 

Maybe I’m wrong with my criticism of this but it just feels like a massive money grab by RC to conduct the class in this method. Plus the reduction in food quality showed as well. 

I did the class on Harmony back in May and there was maybe 20 down both sides of a few tables.  I would consider it an intimate experience, but there was some "telephone" going on at times. 

5 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

I did the class on Harmony back in May and there was maybe 20 down both sides of a few tables.  I would consider it an intimate experience, but there was some "telephone" going on at times. 

I’m willing to concede that it may be an Oasis v Freedom thing but it was really disappointing. 

5 minutes ago, Smokey79 said:

I’m willing to concede that it may be an Oasis v Freedom thing but it was really disappointing. 

Possible.  And I agree that many people does not seem ideal for what the class is.  I thought the sushi materials were good during my class.  But, I do keep hearing quality has been suffering over the past several years.

Did this on Harmony in Feb.  It was about 20 people, 2 long tables with 2 chefs leading.  I found it pretty much in keeping with what I would have expected.

I also thought that the quality of the ingredients was very good, and the quantity of sushi I made and ate was certainly worth the cost of the class.

image.thumb.jpeg.2ad2ea14b679fa037b10bbf040c78e60.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I wonder if it has something to do with being on a short sailing vs a 7 night?

That’s crossed my mind as well but they could have done something different as it was just one single massive class. Split the class up to different times or just say it’s sold out? It was sold out on the cruise planner back in November. 

Spoke with my genie this evening. It seems I’m not alone in my complaints with the class. They are awaiting word on the proposed resolution. I feel strange as I’m not asking for a refund or anything of the sort. I don’t want people to experience something that I loved doing and really pumped up my kid in anticipation only to see it done half-a$$ed.