Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Nachicocum Beach Resort for the day


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, dejagatkins said:

We have reservations for beach for the day here in April. I am wondering now with the Travel warning issues for that area, if we should cancel? We have to take a 10 minute taxi ride there and don't wish to be kidnapped! Thoughts?

This is from the State Department dated 8/22/2017: "Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the level of drug-related violence and crime that are reported in the border region or in areas along major trafficking routes." I was in Cozumel last March with no problems seen nor encountered. I also have reservations at Nachi next April and am not inclined to cancel at this time. If conditions degrade and the travel warnings "go south" for Cozumel, then I will rethink Nachi. 

Also, keep in mind these drug related activities have been going on for many, many years but not in the tourist destinations. Oh yeah, just don't drink the water.:3_grin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dejagatkins said:

I would still hold off until next year. If you cancel your Nachi reservation now and try to get a reservation next year, it may be all booked up. They only take 100 reservations a day. :27_sunglasses:

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dejagatkins said:

I was worried more about the taxi ride. Folks have said that they have been held ranson etc. But Cozumel govt is asking for exemption from the warning. I will keep my reservation and give it time. I have till April 2018

I don't think you have to worry about the taxis at the port. From what I have seen, they're pretty much controlled by someone who appears to be in charge. He will fill up taxis and vans with as many folks as possible going to the same destination, ie, Nachi. When you are ready to leave Nachi and head back to the ship, your waiter will arrange for your taxi. Any "taxi shenanigans" will not be tolerated as that will have a detrimental effect on their daily income. :27_sunglasses:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the travel warnings are for the mainland and the Cancun Peninsula. Everything I've read identified places like Cabo, Cancun, and Riviera Maya. I haven't seen any reference to Cozumel in any of the reports or warnings. I might think twice about visiting Tulum, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
On 8/24/2017 at 8:16 AM, dejagatkins said:

We have reservations for beach for the day here in April. I am wondering now with the Travel warning issues for that area, if we should cancel? We have to take a 10 minute taxi ride there and don't wish to be kidnapped! Thoughts?

We've been there twice, took a cab both times. We have never had a minutes trouble. The resort is nice..not super fancy, but if you want a nice relaxing beach day...Naichi is your place.

We go there every time we go to Cozumel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, dejagatkins said:

What do you eat and drink there to be sure you don't get Montezumas Revenge?

I personally have not had any issue with this in Cozumel. I think most resorts are aware and pretty careful of this - I've never had an issue coming from Cozumel, and I've been to Nachi twice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dejagatkins said:

What do you eat and drink there to be sure you don't get Montezumas Revenge?

We at each off the menu, ceviche, nachos, Guacamole , but be warned..it's not TexMex.  It's real Mexican food with spices and jalapeños.

That pico will light up your tongue! :17_heart_eyes:  It was delicious each time we ate there and no issues at all with "the revenge". Just drink bottled water and don't use the ice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@dejagatkins I've been to Cozumel approximately 12 times, most of the times on Cruises but spent a week down there in 2016 at a resort, been to Nachi Cocom twice, eaten and drank at places all over the island and have never had an issue that I would correlate back to food or water I ate or drank.

If you are suspect to getting " Montezuma's Revenge" I would stick with bottled water and to eating at established places, Nachi Cocom is one of those places, if people were to eat and drink there and then get sick it would ruin their reputation and they don't want that anymore than you wanting to get sick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Suzanne said:

We at each off the menu, ceviche, nachos, Guacamole , but be warned..it's not TexMex.  It's real Mexican food with spices and jalapeños.

That pico will light up your tongue! :17_heart_eyes:  It was delicious each time we ate there and no issues at all with "the revenge". Just drink bottled water and don't use the ice.

Is the ice at nachi a concern? Thinking about all the cocktails with ice.... hadn't even considered it might be a problem.   Jane

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Is the ice at nachi a concern? Thinking about all the cocktails with ice.... hadn't even considered it might be a problem.   Jane

My wife had a mixed drink at the restaurant that had ice in it, so I would say no, there is not an issue, again it is their reputation at stake, they don't want you to get sick because of food or water any more than you...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, mom2mybugs said:

Is the ice at nachi a concern? Thinking about all the cocktails with ice.... hadn't even considered it might be a problem.   Jane

Almost any resort or restaurant in Cozumel will have a sign stating that they use purified water to make their ice. This is definitely the case at Nachi. There is no way to really know for sure that it is filtered, but we have never had any issues with it. Like others have said the last thing they want is for you to get sick and never come back. If you're worried about it sticking to beer is always a safe bet. I know sometimes just being worried about it alone can ruin an experience. Our first time in Cozumel my wife and I were having a blast and enjoying some margaritas at a bar when some random guy walked by and said, "You shouldn't drink the ice in Mexico. It will get you sick". The restaurant had used filtered ice and neither of us got sick, but we worried about it all day after that. Never let "that guy" ruin your day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 3:02 PM, Cruiselife said:

Almost any resort or restaurant in Cozumel will have a sign stating that they use purified water to make their ice. This is definitely the case at Nachi. There is no way to really know for sure that it is filtered, but we have never had any issues with it. Like others have said the last thing they want is for you to get sick and never come back. If you're worried about it sticking to beer is always a safe bet. I know sometimes just being worried about it alone can ruin an experience. Our first time in Cozumel my wife and I were having a blast and enjoying some margaritas at a bar when some random guy walked by and said, "You shouldn't drink the ice in Mexico. It will get you sick". The restaurant had used filtered ice and neither of us got sick, but we worried about it all day after that. Never be "that guy".

I won't worry about it... and in fact the last time I was in cozumel I had several daiquiris and didn't!   Thanks for your reassurance! Jane

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...