Off Menu Cocktails

Hello All!

I am going to ask a question, which to seasoned cruisers is probably going to sound silly, but I’m currently on count down to my first cruise on Anthem in May this year and have been pouring over the cruise planner in preparation. 

My question is, is it easy to order cocktails that aren’t in the menus for the bars? For example, I would probably want to order a Bloody Mary at some point but don’t see it on any menu, also a spicy Margarita! We’ve purchased the deluxe drink package already!

Thanks in advance!

🍺🍹🥂

Just as @smokeybandit stated, the menus are just the featured cocktails and some of the bars have their own featured menu.

Since you do have the drink package, here is a quick tip in case you didn't know, always state the brand of liquor you would like in your drinks (i.e Tito's or Grey Goose vodka in your Bloody Mary). A higher shelf liquor will improve your drink quality and does not cost extra with the drink package!

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I just looked up the Tokyo Tea. Like a Long Island Iced Tea but with more liquor.

Yep, and the Midori plus club soda (The Pitch uses Sprite) and no Coke makes it a bit sweeter and fruity.

3 minutes ago, dustfsu said:

I will be on the Allure. They don't have playmakers but doing the Wonder again in 2025!!!

I'm not sure why I've never ordered a Tokyo Tea knowing it's similar to that Playmakers drink. Not like I'm always near the Boardwalk. Was also on Allure in October, should have done it then too, oh well. Enjoy Allure!

Just looked at a Playmakers and they have the drinks that I’d exactly want, a spicy pineapple marg and a Bloody Mary. 

Alas, no Playmakers on Anthem 🤣

Oh well, will need to make sure the next boat we try has a Playmakers! I’ll talk very nicely to all the bar staff and hopefully they’ll be able to accommodate me! IMG_8651.thumb.png.bc6c4c1170a7e9cfce75a72484e54ed8.png

Echoing what the others have said, that if the bar has the ingredients they will absolutely make whatever you order.

But, in weird internet coincidences, I just watched a video of a couple who were on Freedom. The wife ordered a "Bob Marley" a couple times from different bars and, rather than getting the layered drink, often ended up a cloudy green mess.

(for those like me who don't drink nearly often enough to know cocktails, this is the expectation vs reality)

image.png.c8f88f2928a213854f72d30354eb2f2f.pngimage.png.95a96f2748253dfad0191ba3941b279c.png

5 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

The wife ordered a "Bob Marley" a couple times from different bars and, rather than getting the layered drink, often ended up a cloudy green mess.

I got at least 3 very different rum punches on Allure in October... only one had the Kraken floater on top like the app recipe... and that's the one I like best. They were all fine though.

53 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I got at least 3 very different rum punches on Allure in October... only one had the Kraken floater on top like the app recipe... and that's the one I like best. They were all fine though.

Now that this lovely forum has educated me on what a floater is...I know if I got one made like app menu... I would think the bartender had no idea how to stir 😅 I always say that I like my drinks to be 21+ but taste child friendly

1 minute ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I always say that I like my drinks to be 21+ but taste child friendly

Sounds exactly like my wife. She'll have an occasional daiquiri lying out (either light on the rum or just virgin) and an occasional mudslide after dinner with extra chocolate syrup b/c she's also a big kid. She also likes to bring a banana from WJ to the Solarium bar to be added to her strawberry daiquiris (she asks first but every bartender has said yes).

We got to know an amazing bartender in the SL on Wonder in June who was basically making her boozy milkshakes b/c he could get ice cream from the CK kitchen. He was adding banana liqueur and I forget what else but she was drinking them all week.

28 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sounds exactly like my wife. She'll have an occasional daiquiri lying out (either light on the rum or just virgin) and an occasional mudslide after dinner with extra chocolate syrup b/c she's also a big kid. She also likes to bring a banana from WJ to the Solarium bar to be added to her strawberry daiquiris (she asks first but every bartender has said yes).

We got to know an amazing bartender in the SL on Wonder in June who was basically making her boozy milkshakes b/c he could get ice cream from the CK kitchen. He was adding banana liqueur and I forget what else but she was drinking them all week.

I am WAY too scared to ask for modifications like that haha. I usually just go with whatever is on the bar's menu that has the most fruit juices listed😅

15 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I am WAY too scared to ask for modifications like that haha. I usually just go with whatever is on the bar's menu that has the most fruit juices listed😅

Understood. If you ever get over your fear and are at a bar that's not busy, most bartenders seem happy to recommend things or make something based on what you tell them.

22 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Your wife and I would get along great. LOL I love fru-fru drinks! I plan on getting the refreshments package on my next trip so I can have a virgin daiquiri or pina colada whenever I want. I'm a sucker for anything fruity.

1 minute ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

I love fru-fru drinks! I plan on getting the refreshments package on my next trip so I can have a virgin daiquiri or pina colada whenever I want. I'm a sucker for anything fruity.

I mostly know this from sailing with my young nieces who love their virgin daiquiris but there are more flavors than I realized. I've also read that Royal recently switched brands of fruity drink mix so they could be slightly different now. In any case, if you're looking to make use of your package and like different stuff, ask what flavors they have... it's more than just pina colada, strawberry, and mango. Enjoy!

Well, this I did not know! First Royal cruise in May on Oasis and a couple of my favourite classic cocktails aren't on the menus I've seen. Nothing too crazy, but a regular Old Fashioned, Cosmopolitan, apple martinis, all would be appreciated. What kind of frozen drink mixes do they have? My friend also enjoys a Negroni, so he'll be happy if he can get them easily. 

Now, if they have creme de violette lurking anywhere, I may have to make friends with a bartender and get me some Aviations...

Who am I kidding, I suspect my friend and I will be making friends with some bartenders anyway.

29 minutes ago, Cruising_Figure_Skater said:

What kind of frozen drink mixes do they have?

It can vary by ship/bar/day as they may be out of certain flavors and, as I posted recently, I have read they just switched brands.

They will definitely be able to make all those classic mixed drinks you mentioned.

23 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I mostly know this from sailing with my young nieces who love their virgin daiquiris but there are more flavors than I realized. I've also read that Royal recently switched brands of fruity drink mix so they could be slightly different now. In any case, if you're looking to make use of your package and like different stuff, ask what flavors they have... it's more than just pina colada, strawberry, and mango. Enjoy!

Great idea! Thanks! OOooo I wonder if they have watermelon...😋