Occupancy Rates - Icon of the Seas

I heard...(somewhere)..that Icon is sailing at about 70% (or something) and that they are gonna be gradually increasing their fill rate to 100% for the summer. Anyone have any intel on how that is being managed? Like are they gonna be at 85% in April (extra 250 pax every cruise, etc.) Anyone follow what Ima trying to say?  Is that even true? Also somewhat tangentially, I heard that the first 4 cruises were "special editions" and then they will settle into the norm (special events, seafood on the WJ, and the like) Any one else heard this?

24 minutes ago, usmcddv said:

that Icon is sailing at about 70% (or something) and that they are gonna be gradually increasing their fill rate to 100% for the summer.

This is correct. We were on the inaugural sailing and this was told to us (and many others) by many different crew members.

25 minutes ago, usmcddv said:

any intel on how that is being managed?

No specific details on how they would increase, just that they plan to ramp up to full capacity by summer sailings.

25 minutes ago, usmcddv said:

I heard that the first 4 cruises were "special editions" and then they will settle into the norm

I saw a few Pins post about this who stayed on for the sailing after ours. That they would be running specifically the special WJ lunch (with seafood) for the first 4 weeks. Not sure how true/not true that is.

They were doing similar things after COVID, where they began at 50-60% and went up from there. That was partially safety, but also very much about staff levels. 

Debuting a new class of ship is a very different beast than a typical ship launch. With Wonder, for example, they had the blueprint of 4 other Oasis ships. Very few surprises.

Royal has more data than we can imagine and do all sorts of complex studies on crowd movement, but with a brand new ship design there are things they simply won't be able to predict with crowd movement, congested areas, staff needs, etc., until they just open it up and do it. For example, with a brand new pool deck design, certain bars may have much more traffic than others and they may need to adapt how many bartenders are staffing one vs. another. Better to make that correction at 70% capacity when the lines are only sorta long vs. when they're at 100% and it's a clusterf**k. 

However, I can almost promise you they'll be as full as possible for Spring Break cruises. 

On 2/16/2024 at 6:27 AM, Hoppy2BHere said:

Aquadome was full for the show last night, just in time for it to be cancelled AGAIN for too much movement…We watched from the coastal kitchen…

Too much movement happened on night 6 of the Inaugural as well.  Water splashing out of the pool and the aerial bag swinging across the pool.  Recommend reserving earlier in the cruise instead of day 6

So I understand the 100% is at double occupancy (~5600.) Do we need to reset our understand of what a 102% occupancy, for example, is with this new ship, based on the number of, until now, unprecedented 2+ passenger cabins. Is this unchartered waters (see what I did there?). But seriously, the reports of it feeling kinda under filled, and the reports of it BEING underfilled have me a bit confused. Does this make sense? Where will they be sailing at in the summer? 7000ish? 

1 hour ago, usmcddv said:

So I understand the 100% is at double occupancy (~5600.) Do we need to reset our understand of what a 102% occupancy, for example, is with this new ship, based on the number of, until now, unprecedented 2+ passenger cabins. Is this unchartered waters (see what I did there?). But seriously, the reports of it feeling kinda under filled, and the reports of it BEING underfilled have me a bit confused. Does this make sense? Where will they be sailing at in the summer? 7000ish? 

Possibly. Since the 5600 is based on double occupancy, and Icon has the largest number of 3+ cabins. Summer occupancy might be 6500-7000.