No more cover bands?

We did have 2 cover bands on Odyssey last week that were very good.  The first was Beatlemaniacs.  We had seen them before on Wonder so passed on this sailing.  Not to mention NFL divisional rounds were playing at the same time.  The second band was Rookie and they were excellent.  Neither cover band played in the Music Hall venue.  Both only performed in the main theater.

I was on the same musically disappointing Odyssey sailing. Beatlemaniacs were a headliner in main theater for two performances. Rookie (which was way more talented than a replica Beatle band could ever be) was the only band to play in Boleros. The times they did not play, Boleros was as quiet as a library, not even a DJ’d soundtrack.

They did have Rookie play the second to last night in Music Hall. And they did have the Caribbean pool band play in there on night two or three. That was it for live music in Music Hall.

Music Hall was used for If You Know It—Sing It, Majority Rules, and If You Know It—Dance It. Not to disparage these events, there were quite a few people who enjoyed and attended them; it’s just that that is not what the venue was designed for. It’s not best use for the bazillions spent on decorating, staging, lighting, and sound. It’s not what passengers were sold before they placed their deposits.

I think that future Icon and Icon class passengers should look take a close, hard look at what The New Royal Caribbean does to 3 year old Quantum class ships. They are very telling. As a matter of fact, Jason Liberty whispered a few things just the other day.

On 2/6/2024 at 11:39 AM, MR_Soccer said:

Phoenix played on Icon last week and said they are going to be on Oasis this summer.  

According to their website  https://phoenixclassicrockband.com/ 

Phoenix is doing two weeks on Icon in March, April, and May.  One week on Icon in June before starting on Oasis.

3 hours ago, Peter D said:

According to their website  https://phoenixclassicrockband.com/ 

Phoenix is doing two weeks on Icon in March, April, and May.  One week on Icon in June before starting on Oasis.

It seems like the past few years Phoenix has spent more and more time on Royal ships. They're clearly a draw people enjoy, especially with the Music Club venue on more of the ships. On shore, a band playing 70s & 80s rock covers like that would never be something I'd go out of my way to see [and I certainly wouldn't pay for it!], but it's a fun way to spend a couple hours on the boat in the evening. 

You kind of wonder if at some point Royal will just start hiring full-time rock cover bands that will go from ship to ship. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 12:31 PM, bobroo said:

Rookie (which was way more talented than a replica Beatle band could ever be) was the only band to play in Boleros.

They did have Rookie play the second to last night in Music Hall. And they did have the Caribbean pool band play in there on night two or three. That was it for live music in Music Hall.

It looks like Rookie is on Symphony now - sound like they were good? They are doing a few headliners in the main theater. I'm hoping they will still be there at the end of March.