Royal trip insurance

Is royals trip insurance worth it? I'm looking to book a cruise that's in 2025. I definitely want insurance but unsure how to go about getting trip insurance when the cruise isn't until may 2025.

I haven't cruised in a few years but remember royals insurance not being the best bang for the buck

I learned about https://www.insuremytrip.com/ on this blog - you put in your information and then they offer you a choice of different policies, and I've been a happy customer for the past 3 trips. However, I think you have to book almost immediately to get "cancel for any reason" coverage. I like using an outside company because it covers the whole trip - not just the cruise. Apparently my credit card offers some benefits but it is hard to know what they will cover and for how much.

I also got worried about the medical coverage that was included in the last plan I bought for my cruise in March, so I bought a supplemental health plan from Geo Blue for this trip as well. The person who recommended that one says it was the only travel insurance he needed, although I'm not sure if it would cover everything that my other policy does? But I might look into that next time and see if the Geo Blue plus my credit card would cover the same as my current policy from insure my trip...

Some people buy a full year's worth of coverage for all of their trips. I know Allianz offers one. We usually only take 1 big trip a year so I haven't moved in that direction yet. 

It may depend on what you might need the insurance for.

In my case I wouldn't necessarily need it for the travelling to port part for I live within a 4 hour drive to Miami, FL, and even less to the other 3 Florida ports, so I take my chances on traveling out early on embarkation day.

But for health insurance look and see what Royal offers.

On previous vacations I used Allianz where you can customize the type of travel insurance you need.

My TA can get me "Tin Leg" policies and they seem pretty good. The last few cruises I have started getting the policies myself using the "Squaremouth" website for comparison. It's easier than I thought it would be to buy the policy myself and generally a lot cheaper and better than RC's offering. And it lets me pick and choose very specifically. I always try to get the highest MedEvac and Medical coverage I can. The trip interruption and whatnot I don't care so much about. Missing my cruise would suck, but it would not ruin me financially. Breaking my leg in Aruba, spending the night in the hospital in Mexico or being helicoptered off the ship very well could. So I usually err on the side of too much medical coverage.

Follow up question if anyone is still following. I'm looking to book a spring 2025 cruise. Do those of you who plan so far out in advance purchase cancel for any reason policies? So much can happen in over a year for now. Just trying to gauge the general consensus here 

11 hours ago, Kcusack89 said:

Follow up question if anyone is still following. I'm looking to book a spring 2025 cruise. Do those of you who plan so far out in advance purchase cancel for any reason policies? So much can happen in over a year for now. Just trying to gauge the general consensus here 

I do not, but I'm not booking suites with a large deposit.  If you have to cancel before final payment you are only out your deposit. At 90 days out when final payment is due, the likelihood for me canceling for a reason that wasn't covered under regular trip cancellation coverage is low.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:38 PM, Kcusack89 said:

We don't, but we are retired.  If you purchase right away, you are covered for pre-existing health conditions you may have. 

When I was still working, I made sure my boss approved my leave.  This was Ok several months out, but not two years out. What I did then was "refundable deposit" so if I had to cancel before final payment, I was covered.  Others don't think the deposit protection is worth it.  Recently, our last two booked cruises have been nonrefundable deposit to get a great cruise price.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:38 PM, Kcusack89 said:

I don't.  Depending on pricing, I might by a refundable deposit,  but lately it has made more sense to book ob board with the lower deposit and just take the chance