Allure drink package

The source was a post on the CC boards from someone who is currently on Allure.  The individual was mentioning things onboard that were different from their prior cruise (don't recall how long ago that was).  If accurate, perhaps this applies only to onboard package purchases?

I am surprised that this is a legal thing any cruise line can do!  Let's say for whatever belief you do not drink alcohol and the person you are sailing with does not share that belief, how can they force that person to buy something they don't believe in.  I know passengers have found ways to abuse the system INCLUDING bar tenders on the ship.  They are scanning your sea pass card for every drink which shows your picture on the screen and I'm sure a time stamp is also associated with ordering a drink.  Let's put some responsibility back on RCCL!  I would love to see how this would pan out in the court of law.

@RBRSKI I don't see a legal issue here as the package is a convenience/savings mechanism. In addition, the ships are foreign flagged, so unless the Bahamas had some kind of law related to this, there are no legal grounds to sure on. Further, many cruise lines have had this requirement in place for years and as of yet I haven't heard of any lawsuits. 

42 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

I am surprised that this is a legal thing any cruise line can do!

RCL is the only line that has a drink package and doesn't currently require all adults in a room to purchase it together, so I'm thinking that if there was anything unlawful about it they would have been called on that long ago.  Nobody that chooses not to drink is being forced to drink, and nobody is being forced to purchase the package.  If this is happening (a single anonymous source on Cruise Critic is not enough to convince me) they are being informed before handing any money over, so I'm not sure where anything illegal could even be considered to be happening.  Anybody has the option of purchasing drinks individually without the package.

Not to say I'm a fan of the possible change, though it won't affect my wife and I as we will both be getting the package I know others this would negatively affect.  But I firmly place ALL of the blame on the people abusing the system.  Yes, there might be bartenders who are letting people get away with it, but those people are still knowingly abusing the system.  If someone walks up to the bar with the intent to get a free drink for someone who does not have a package then they are the problem, whether a bartender wants to cause a fuss or not.

In my opinion it's arrogant, irresponsible and concerning that ANY cruise line would not recognize if a person does not drink alcohol or maybe a recovering one, force them to buy an alcohol package.  It blows my mind that they can not find a reasonable solution to this matter. Oh wait, they don't care!

3 minutes ago, NS8VN said:

RCL is the only line that has a drink package and doesn't currently require all adults in a room to purchase it together, so I'm thinking that if there was anything unlawful about it they would have been called on that long ago.  Nobody that chooses not to drink is being forced to drink, and nobody is being forced to purchase the package.  If this is happening (a single anonymous source on Cruise Critic is not enough to convince me) they are being informed before handing any money over, so I'm not sure where anything illegal could even be considered to be happening.  Anybody has the option of purchasing drinks individually without the package.

Not to say I'm a fan of the possible change, though it won't affect my wife and I as we will both be getting the package I know others this would negatively affect.  But I firmly place ALL of the blame on the people abusing the system.  Yes, there might be bartenders who are letting people get away with it, but those people are still knowingly abusing the system.  If someone walks up to the bar with the intent to get a free drink for someone who does not have a package then they are the problem, whether a bartender wants to cause a fuss or not.

So explain to those on this blog who don't drink and want to go with a friend who does, what should they do?  

22 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

So explain to those on this blog who don't drink and want to go with a friend who does, what should they do?  

Friend should buy the drink package.  Friend of friend should either do nothing or buy a soda package, refreshment package, or whatever makes sense for them.

21 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

1: Don't get the package and friend can pay for drinks out of pocket

2: Get the package and enjoy as many lattes, sodas, and fresh squeezed juices as you can handle

3: Vote with your wallet and go to another line that has a drink package that doesn't require every adult in the room to buy in to.  When you find one please let us know

30 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Oh, you mean if both people MUST buy it or neither buy it?

Currently, I sometimes get the package and my wife never does.  If we both HAD to get it, neither of us would get it.  We would pay per drink.

Are we sure they mean both need to buy alcohol packages? Or are they just trying to make you buy a drink package in general? It makes sense that a company would want to make $$ but forcing people to buy alcohol not so much. Religious convictions or prior drinking problems make this not make any sense at all. Or am I reading you all wrong?

Out of curiosity I wanted to look up the other major players in the North American cruise market to see how they stacked up:

Carnival: If one adult in a cabin purchases the package all adults over 21 must also purchase it

Celebrity: Does not require everyone in room to purchase package

Disney: No drink package offered

Holland: If one adult in a cabin purchases the package all adults over 21 must also purchase it

Norwegian: All passengers sharing a cabin OR using the same payment method must purchase the beverage package INCLUDING guests under 21 (only charged for soda package)

Princess: Does not require everyone in room to purchase package but is only available on 7 night or longer cruises

So I was incorrect saying RCL is the only line currently allowing only one person in the room to get a package, but you do have to move up a tier price-wise to find it elsewhere.

3 hours ago, ellcee said:

Are we sure they mean both need to buy alcohol packages? Or are they just trying to make you buy a drink package in general? It makes sense that a company would want to make $$ but forcing people to buy alcohol not so much. Religious convictions or prior drinking problems make this not make any sense at all. Or am I reading you all wrong?

NS8VN thanks for doing the research on other cruise line policies.  ellcee, your last two sentence was what I was trying  to get across.  Makes no sense, Oh Well 

On 8/16/2017 at 9:49 AM, RBRSKI said:

I am surprised that this is a legal thing any cruise line can do!  Let's say for whatever belief you do not drink alcohol and the person you are sailing with does not share that belief, how can they force that person to buy something they don't believe in.  I know passengers have found ways to abuse the system INCLUDING bar tenders on the ship.  They are scanning your sea pass card for every drink which shows your picture on the screen and I'm sure a time stamp is also associated with ordering a drink.  Let's put some responsibility back on RCCL!  I would love to see how this would pan out in the court of law.

They can't force you. They just won't allow the person who wants to buy the package to purchase it.

Nothing illegal about that.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:46 AM, RBRSKI said:

In my opinion it's arrogant, irresponsible and concerning that ANY cruise line would not recognize if a person does not drink alcohol or maybe a recovering one, force them to buy an alcohol package.  It blows my mind that they can not find a reasonable solution to this matter. Oh wait, they don't care!

If someone is a recovering alcoholic that really isn't RCI's problem. 

They offer meeting places for Friend's of Bill W. on every ship.

If someone is a recovering alcoholic, perhaps their cabin mate shouldn't want to purchase the package?

My wife drinks a bit. I drink quite a bit on vacation. I get my monies worth. She doesn't come close. If this policy is rolled out fleetwide then we won't buy the package. No one is being forced to do anything they don't want. You just pay a la carte for each drink.

For the record, I do not like the policy. I am a big fan of the current system that doesn't require both to purchase it.. but.. RCI's primary responsibility is to their shareholders. They have to make money, and if they can't make more money using this set up then that is what they will do.

I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand. 

I still believe that RCCL has all the power in the world to monitor this package on the ships.  They have the technology but chooses not to use it, it's easier for them to force this stupid rule on everyone in the cabin.  And no matter which way this is spun, or why the second person in the cabin doesn't want to purchase the package, it should be their right.

Also, why are the offering a meeting place for recovering alcoholics (which I am not 100% if that is what Friends' of Bill is) and requiring everyone in a stateroom to purchase a drink package, that contradicts itself!   

18 hours ago, constable145 said:

I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand. 

The part that I don't understand is how is how a reputable company would force an alcoholic drink package on someone who doesn't drink...most notably alcoholics or people who don't drink for religious reasons. I understand forcing a drink package, just not one that includes alcohol. If I was either one of these it would challenge my reasoning to cruise.  This doesn't personally effect me but think a huge company like RC would have more social responsibility than that.

2 minutes ago, ellcee said:

The part that I don't understand is how is how a reputable company would force an alcoholic drink package on someone who doesn't drink...most notably alcoholics or people who don't drink for religious reasons. I understand forcing a drink package, just not one that includes alcohol. If I was either one of these it would challenge my reasoning to cruise.  This doesn't personally effect me but think a huge company like RC would have more social responsibility than that.

Amen to That!

They aren't forcing anyone to purchase it...they are just prohibiting others from buying it unless everyone over 21 purchases it.

nowhere is a gun being held to anyone's head making them buy a package.