These three Alaska May-2025 Itineraries

Shaburr

Which of these 3 Alaska sailings would you pick?

- kids ages 8 & 10

- on one hand the Quantum class ship has iFly, FlowRider, rock climbing and an inside pool…. and seaplex. Those alone are worth the extra $1000.

- do Serenade or Radiance have an all ages inside pool? I think not. Do they allow swimming of all ages at set times for an Alaska jaunt?

- the Serenade and Radiance itineraries are so great! We could put the $1000 saved into excursions 

- I do get seasick on snorkelling boats so wondering if the smaller ships would even be a good idea for me… Deck 3 Ocean View?

THX

IMG_2232.jpeg

IMG_2231.jpeg

IMG_2230.jpeg

We have done Alaska 3 times it is our favorite place to cruise. Once on a Quantum class and 2 on Radiance.  Radiance and Serenade allow all ages to swim in the Solarium at specified times.  We are older so we preferred Radiance over the Quantum class.  However, with children, either is great.  You may want to do the Serenade or Quantum itinerary due to flight costs, roundtrip cheaper than multi-city.  

I always have a generic answer to Alaska questions... do whatever will allow you to spend as much time on land (preferably an actual land portion) or at least as many big excursions as you can. I sail for the ships in the Caribbean all the time and don't even like small ships, but in Alaska, I couldn't care less about the ship, I'm there to see Alaska.

45 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

... do whatever will allow you to spend as much time on land ...

This will probably be my one and only trip to Alaska. Unfortunately my husband worked in Alaska and he cringes at the idea of spending $ to go there because he's had his fill already!

I have done Alaska a few times and my vote is for the Serenade itinerary. I absolutely love Ketchikan and the excursions it offers. I don’t know if I would book a cruise that didn’t go there. But that’s me. All the other ports are also fun. I agree that it will be easier and cheaper to do a closed loop cruise. I have teenagers and they never got bored on Quantum. The SeaPlex is an amazing area for kids.

6 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

I have done Alaska a few times and my vote is for the Serenade itinerary. I absolutely love Ketchikan and the excursions it offers. I don’t know if I would book a cruise that didn’t go there. But that’s me. All the other ports are also fun. I agree that it will be easier and cheaper to do a closed loop cruise. I have teenagers and they never got bored on Quantum. The SeaPlex is an amazing area for kids.

What are the better Ketchikan excursions? I'm thinking about going to the lumberjack show. It looks fun, even if tourist-trappy. 

2 hours ago, JFCruise said:

What are the better Ketchikan excursions? I'm thinking about going to the lumberjack show. It looks fun, even if tourist-trappy. 

My spouse and I did the lumberjack show in 2010. FANTASTIC. Definitely an all-ages show. Keep in mind you can buy it through RC as a shore excursion OR you could buy it through their web site/walk up. The only differences are you're going to pay less by booking directly with the show vendor vs. RC, and you're going to sit in a different place to watch the show (e.g. you'll be on the left side of the theater instead of the shore excursion assigned right side). Ha!

We're going back in 2025 as well (different cruise line) and are going to see the show again, it was that good.

@Shaburr we're traveling to Alaska in 2025 as well but on a different cruise line. We're going with two teenagers and chose a ship that does NOT have a ton to do for kids, but chose it because, as @OCSC Mike said above, it hits a lot more ports through Alaska. Also, because we chose a different line, we were able to afford two inside rooms instead of just one! I'm pretty sure we sHALl have a great time. 😉

We last sailed to Alaska in 2017 from Vancouver to Seward.  It was one of our favorite cruises.  We just booked June, 2025 on Radiance B2B which will allow round-trip air to Vancouver and a full day exploring Seward.  One of the things that excites us the most is being able to see Hubbard Glacier twice.  We have been on two Quantum class sailings and love those ships but wouldn't want to sacrifice the full Alaska experience possible on smaller ships.

48 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

@Shaburr we're traveling to Alaska in 2025 as well but on a different cruise line. We're going with two teenagers and chose a ship that does NOT have a ton to do for kids, but chose it because, as @OCSC Mike said above, it hits a lot more ports through Alaska. Also, because we chose a different line, we were able to afford two inside rooms instead of just one! I'm pretty sure we sHALl have a great time. 😉

EDIT: Gotcha!!! I see it now yes you sHALl have a very nice time. .......Disregard the what line did you end up going with?

59 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

I did see that the show is way cheaper if buying directly with them, and gives us the option to eat lunch before going to it without having to go back to the pier for the excursion (yes, it's in walking distance but...pass).

My only worry is if has any risk of selling out.

Thanks for the info.

I did this in 2010 - it's now (basically) 2024. I'm SURE it has changed, so if the cruise shore excursion includes a meal with a decent price, go for it! 

I will also say that our favorite shore excursion was visiting a sled dog camp. I think we had only planned to visit one (Skagway), but we loved that one so much, we did another in Juneau. 

3 hours ago, JFCruise said:

There is an excursion where you get on a small boat and start off with a wildlife viewing cruise and end up at an island with a fishing lodge for a crab lunch. Done this one multiple times and have yet to be disappointed. The town is also nice to walk around, but anything nature oriented is going to be a good time

If the goal is to see Alaska, Serenade (4 ports) or Radiance (ending in Seward) are better options than Quantum.  The Radiance itinerary ending in Seward gives an opportunity to do things there if you have time.  There are Fjord cruises, fishing trips, and Seward Sealife center which kids may enjoy.  You can even take the scenic train back to Anchorage, which is a fun thing to do as well.

The Quantum has way more things for kids to do while onboard and the itinerary is not bad either, although Dawes Glacier is very hit or miss when the ships try to go there.  I was on Quantum in August and ice in water prevented ship from getting anywhere near it.

The options have tons of pros and cons, but there are really no bad options here.  No matter which you choose, you'll have a great time.   

Have you asked your kids which they want to do?

@steverk 4016 isn’t available for 2025 May 16th Northbound. Do I want to be looking at rooms on the left side of the ship then?? I would have guessed that right side is better.

much appreciated. This is our first cruise… all suggestions welcome.

i did consider last night that perhaps a balcony could be justified as “part of the Alaska experience “. Or possibly ocean view at the least.

t

FWIW, we normally book interiors in the Caribbean b/c we're frugal and don't care about our cabin (obviously). We got a balcony for Alaska and then realized any time there was really something we wanted to see we wanted to be up on deck somewhere to see it.

Others will of course use their balcony/window to look out at stuff but I wouldn't feel the need to get one if/when we go back. Just one man's opinion, of course.

53 minutes ago, Shaburr said:

@steverk 4016 isn’t available for 2025 May 16th Northbound. Do I want to be looking at rooms on the left side of the ship then?? I would have guessed that right side is better.

much appreciated. This is our first cruise… all suggestions welcome.

i did consider last night that perhaps a balcony could be justified as “part of the Alaska experience “. Or possibly ocean view at the least.

t

I like 4016 for its location on the ship rather than the view.

It's quiet yet close to forward elevators. The midship elevators and dining room are on the same side so it's convenient for that as well. 

1 hour ago, Shaburr said:

Will I need the view to ground me..

Probably not.  Radiance may be a smaller ship, but she's still large. Therefore, the motion probably won't be as bad as you fear.  Further, being able to see outside doesn't help me very much.

Since this is your first cruise, do come prepared.  Ginger tablets or other motion sickness meds might make sense, although I've never needed them.