Balcony GTY Booking NOT Ocean View - Please Help

Cgash

My husband booked this cruise in 2021 and we are finally 33 days out - in looking at the accommodations its says GTY. He swore he booked Balcony with ocean view...Royal Caribbean  cancelled the original date already once and had us re-book. Is there a way it was switched after re-booking? Now all the ocean views are unavailable and I feel like he must have hit they pick instead of you pick as an option. It does seem a bit confusing...so upset about it, any advice???

3 hours ago, Cgash said:

My husband booked this cruise in 2021 and we are finally 33 days out - in looking at the accommodations its says GTY. He swore he booked Balcony with ocean view...Royal Caribbean  cancelled the original date already once and had us re-book. Is there a way it was switched after re-booking? Now all the ocean views are unavailable and I feel like he must have hit they pick instead of you pick as an option. It does seem a bit confusing...so upset about it, any advice???

There is more than one type of GTY and you didn't say which ship you are sailing.  For most ships the Balcony with Ocean View description is redundant because ALL balconies have an ocean view.  The exception is the Oasis class ships where there are balconies that face the middle of the ship (with either Boardwalk or Central Park view).  You also say the Ocean Views are now unavailable but did you mean actual ocean view class (rooms with windows, no balcony) or did you mean ocean view balconies?  What type of GTY do you have now, and what was your original booking type?  If you don't have that or don't know, then there's not much we can use to advise you.

Sorry Atlantix2000 - new to this group and third cruise on Royal Caribbean.

We are on the Allure of the Seas, out of Galveston in Oct. We thought we booked in Balcony with ocean view but when we called they said we were overlooking the Boardwalk or Central Park View and I am not sure how that happened? The only thing I saw on registration is GTY. We contacted Royal Caribbean -the ocean view with balconies are sold out so we can just upgrade now to junior suite for $7k (offer on the phone) or bid on it with a possible but very small chance. I am just trying to figure out how this got switched up. 

Thanks so much CRznTxn for sharing - We booked in Dec. 23, 2021 with just a confirmation email for $500 not showing any receipt. 1st PDF receipt 02-10-2023 arrives after rebooking. It just states GTY- I guess we should have realized right then.

I am just disappointed we didn't catch this sooner - oh well!  We have no PDFs showing that we had ocean view balcony so it must have been our fault on our original booking. 

Thanks anyway for your response!

image.png

You'll have a great cruise regardless.  Of those 2, I would prefer overlooking Central Park.

Have you done your check in yet?  If so click to view your set sail pass and scan the barcode on it.  The last 4 digits should be the cabin you are in so you will know if it is boardwalk or central park.

It all can be confusing first time through.  A good travel agent can help with these things and won't cost extra but often times will save you some money.

Your cruise will still be great!

12 hours ago, Cgash said:

Thanks so much CRznTxn for sharing - We booked in Dec. 23, 2021 with just a confirmation email for $500 not showing any receipt. 1st PDF receipt 02-10-2023 arrives after rebooking. It just states GTY- I guess we should have realized right then.

I am just disappointed we didn't catch this sooner - oh well!  We have no PDFs showing that we had ocean view balcony so it must have been our fault on our original booking. 

Thanks anyway for your response!

Yeah, unfortunately, Royal's system isn't reliable at sending the PDF receipts with full booking information (or it ends up in spam either due to your internet provider or your email software).  There's an automated phone system (call and answer a few prompts) that can email you a copy.  That doesn't help you now but it is good to know for the future.  Since it's impossible to know exactly what happened in your situation, I would recommend not dwelling on it and enjoy the trip.  Once your cabin is officially assigned, you can call and move to another cabin in the EXACT same category if there is availability.  Have a good trip!

I looked up and this is what I found:

Your invoice should say: XB-GTY, if so, you have an oceanview balcony GTY, if it said XN is a Neighborhood balcony. 

GTY categories are defined as follows:

WS       Suite/Deluxe
XB        Balcony Stateroom
XN        Neighborhood View Balcony Stateroom (Oasis & Icon Class Only)

I have a GTY balcony reservation for Utopia and it says XB-GTY so I expect an oceanview balcony, not a neighborhood balcony.

It’s an easy mistake to make.

If you’ve never cruised before, it’s natural to assume that a balcony has to be facing the sea.

One thing to bear in mind if you go on another cruise is that it is essential  that you research your cabin before booking, and by that I even mean your individual cabin number not just the cabin type. Booking a ship cabin is not like booking a hotel room - you want to know specifically know where your cabin is on the ship as there is so much variety.

Thank you all for your help& Advice!!! I figured out where he thought balcony ocean view and if you allow RC to pick it does not mean a Balcony with Ocean View- He just looked at the pictures-lol!!! I will definitely get a travel agent next time or help my husband book it;) Nevertheless we will have a great time! We checked in and we are Deck 10 Room 213- So I think we are overlooking Central Park:) Again Thank you all!!!

IMG_2609.jpeg

IMG_2610.jpeg