NEED ROATAN ADVICE, PLEASE!

Lauriskov

Hey everyone!! I'm looking for some of your amazing advice.  We're going on the Wonder in less than 2 weeks and I am still at a loss for what to do in Roatan.  I have contemplated a RCI shore excursion, booking something through a third party, just winging it on our own and wandering around (which I've heard is ill-advised at this destination), or just staying on the ship and enjoying a low-key day.

Ideally, we would like to see some of the highlights of Roatan, like a scenic driving tour that hits some nice spots for taking photos, but not an all-day event and not a beach day.  Has anyone ever found or booked a private driving tour of some type with these types of stops?  If so, what do you recommend or how did you do it? 

Or, should we just skip it altogether?? I keep seeing mixed reviews of Roatan in general and that's what's led me to be so indecisive on planning out the day.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Viator had great private tours, but I'm not sure what offerings they have for Roatan. 

Definitely don't wander the port area on your own. While the neighborhood doesn't look terrible, it doesn't look great either. The scary part is more the vendors that are lining the streets pushing their wares on people as they come by. Some of them appear to be quite aggressive. Just my interpretation, others may see it differently, but if you want to do something in Roatan, definitely have it arranged ahead of time.

• 5 months later...

Yes paid in cash, they prefer newish bills as the local banks sometimes won’t take weathered currency..  we loved Roatan, had a driver through Daniel Johnson.  We did not find the vendors aggressive in the least, a simple no thanks given with a nod of respect for their efforts was universally met with a smile.  Also found that the gas stations sell local fast food for super cheap. Three passitos, sort of an empanada, two local beers, a diet soda and a Honduran chocolate bar for $5 american.  

20 hours ago, FLK said:

For those recommending Bodden - we've been encouraged to pay in cash the day of...that would be a significant amount of cash and makes me a little nervous.  Did you pay in cash as well?

It seems to be a thing in the Caribbean countries to prefer cash payments. It seems weird to us Americans, I know, but it's totally legitimate. Our best tour ever in Cozumel was cash only, and I would do that again in a heartbeat.

14 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

It seems to be a thing in the Caribbean countries to prefer cash payments. It seems weird to us Americans, I know, but it's totally legitimate. Our best tour ever in Cozumel was cash only, and I would do that again in a heartbeat.

Agreed. The only tour I pay for in advance via CC is on St. Martin but it's owned by a family from NY who moved there a long time ago and I'm pretty sure they still process their business banking via the US.

My upcoming tour in Roatan with RonysTours offered PayPal for a deposit if I preferred but they were happy to just accept the entire payment in cash when we get there.

As I mentioned in another thread, yes, those tour companies in Roatan highly encourage you to use cash.  The country of Honduras (according to their one of the local tour business's excursion confirmation paperwork) states that the country tacks on a HUGE percentage as a credit card service fee.  They were also indeed very picky even about the nice clean crisp new-looking $100 bills I brought for payment of the excursion.  Here is a clip from Bodden's excursion confirmation:

======================================

There is no prepayment or deposit required for your tour. 

Our preferred payment method is US CASH once you get to the island. 
However, additional payment options are available: 

• We accept MasterCard, Visa and American Express at our tour office -- however, there is a Credit Card Fee:

The Honduran government requires credit card machines to automatically add 19% Honduran Tax onto every credit card transaction

• This fee is broken down on the receipt as 15% Honduran Tax + 4% Honduran Tourism Tax

• The only way to avoid these credit card taxes is to Pay in US CASH

• Honduran banks do not accept US Currency that is worn, taped or torn...so, try to save your BEST dollars for your Roatan visit!

======================================

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 12:53 PM, jbrinkm said:

I paid via PayPal for Roatan Getaway Tours (credit card the year before when we booked with them on Viator for the "mass" tour, not private). 

Did you have the added CC fees when you paid via PayPal?

47 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Did you have the added CC fees when you paid via PayPal?

We have our PayPal linked to checking and only have the credit card as a backup so I'm not sure what the fees might have been if we wanted to use credit, but the invoice doesn't say anything about it (what we got before paying). They are very responsive if you want to reach out directly to ask!