Milkshakes

matt_b

I have never done a cruise before, and I am looking to go on a South Pacific Cruise.

We are not really alcohol drinkers, and do not plan on a drinks package based on what we have learned so far.  we are a young family of 4.

• Mum - drinks coffee (2 to 3 aday) and water. Maybe 2-3 wines a week in a big week.

• Dad - drinks milk and milkshakes only - between 2 to 3 litres a day. Never alcohol.

• Child 1 - drinks water only.

• Child 2 - drinks water and milkshakes only.

My question is, with a meal, will we be able to get milkshakes somewhere?  Will they cost money, or are they included?  How does it all work please?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of anywhere to get free milkshakes. There are several places to get free ice cream. But for actual milkshakes, you can generally only get them on board at places like Johnny Rockets (shakes included with drink package) or Ben and Jerry's (shakes cost extra). 

7 minutes ago, WesKinetic said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of anywhere to get free milkshakes. There are several places to get free ice cream. But for actual milkshakes, you can generally only get them on board at places like Johnny Rockets (shakes included with drink package) or Ben and Jerry's (shakes cost extra). 

And I assume a Johnny Rockets drink package for milkshakes is not cheap?

11 hours ago, matt_b said:

And I assume a Johnny Rockets drink package for milkshakes is not cheap?

Sorry, I wasn't clear--it's not a Johnny Rockets specific package. If you buy the Deluxe Beverage Package (aka the open bar package) or Refreshment Package (basically everything except alcohol), those can be used for shakes at Johnny Rockets. But those aren't cheap and, based on how you describe your drinking habits above, I think both of those would still be overkill for what you really need. If you go on a ship with a Johnny Rockets (Ovation of the Seas does not have one, so this wouldn't be an option there), you can always go there and just buy a shake (I want to say it's about $6, but it's been a while since I've been in one on board, so hopefully someone can chime in with more recent pricing.) Buying them a la carte like that would probably be the most cost-effective way for your party. 

@WesKinetic explained it correctly.

Without knowing your ship, one cannot say for certain if milkshakes will be an option at all as most Quantum class and some older class ships don't have Johnny Rockets. But the restaurants, buffets, and dining rooms do not make milkshakes. I last sailed in April and the shakes at JR on Freedom were $5.99+gratuity, so $7.07. It is roughly $40/day for the refreshment package, and they cannot be shared. 

If I may suggest, there is always soft-serve ice cream (vanilla and chocolate) on or near the pool deck and milk is available at least at breakfast (look near the cereal area). If you have a fridge in your room - and with Ovation you should - I'd consider grabbing a bunch of little cartons of milk and then carrying a plastic drink glass to the soft serve dispenser, then stir your own milk in.  I make up ginger beer floats this way and it works like a charm...

5 minutes ago, Riley said:

If I may suggest, there is always soft-serve ice cream (vanilla and chocolate) on or near the pool deck and milk is available at least at breakfast (look near the cereal area). If you have a fridge in your room - and with Ovation you should - I'd consider grabbing a bunch of little cartons of milk and then carrying a plastic drink glass to the soft serve dispenser, then stir your own milk in.  I make up ginger beer floats this way and it works like a charm...

There is no such thing as a fridge in the rooms, it's a cooler. Speaking from experience, the milk will curdle after a couple of hours.

9 hours ago, matt_b said:

is there somewhere i can go to get this type of information officially.  When i say all i drink is milk and milkshakes, i mean it, nothing else at all.  But the above has me worried it might not be a option on Ovation of the Seas

No Johnny Rockets and no Ben and Jerry's. You'll be able to get milk but no milkshakes.

To keep your milk cold, try looking for a plastic tub, sort of like a dishpan but smaller. Then put the dishpan (with ice and milk) in the fridge. That would hold rectangular cartons better than a round ice bucket. And you can pack your clothes in it and put the whole thing in your suitcase. I'm sure someone onboard now could give you approximate measurements.

The closest thing to a milkshake on ships without Johnny rockets  would be a mudslide.  You can ask for a virgin mudslide.  I think it’s made with ice milk. If you want it more “chocolatey “ ask for extra chocolate syrup.  Not all bars will make them.  My daughter has gotten them at the pool bar and during dinner.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 4:17 PM, matt_b said:

is there somewhere i can go to get this type of information officially.  When i say all i drink is milk and milkshakes, i mean it, nothing else at all.  But the above has me worried it might not be a option on Ovation of the Seas

Just take the plunge and start your milkshake and milk withdraw now so that you can kick the habit before the cruise. The headaches and hot flashes will only last a few days before you can officially get out of bed and tell the world “I did it, I beat my addiction to milkshakes”.