East Caribbean or Hawaii

Hi all,

For 2024, we have option of being on Icon in early May for a 7 night cruise (East Caribbean) or we can have a 9 night cruise on Ovation around Hawaii and back into Vancouver.

Note that Icon is significantly more expensive than Ovation because its brand new...and the Ovation cruise is actually more nights. In fact, the price for 1 of us for the week on Icon covers a balcony for us both on Ovation.

What's your opinion of Ovation?

5 days of this cruise are at sea, so possibly rough?

Wed be flying from Ireland, so its a haul in either case!

Thoughts?

Personal opinion is to do Ovation to Hawaii, even though I am not a fan of Quantum class. I say get better bang for your buck. Icon has a very basic and boring itinerary because it is a new ship designed for families that want the ship to be the destination.

The sea days just means more time to relax and enjoy, I love sea days. Doesn't mean the journey will be rough. 

I’m gonna go against the grain and say Icon. If you want to see Hawaii, you are better off doing Hawaii as a land vacation. Icon is a destination by itself and many Caribbean islands are not places I would necessarily want to stay for an extended vacation so a cruise is perfect there.

After looking at the two itineraries on Royal's website, I think I'd be booking the Hawaiian sailing. The itinerary overnights at Maui which provides a little bit more time to get to explore the island. The Big Island only gets 9 hours of tender, but with a bit of planning could still experience a bit of the land. Fly in a few days early to Oahu before embarkation and this itinerary would provide a nice taste of the islands. And that's before mentioning price. Lowest priced suite fare on this sailing, as of this post, is $3,185 versus an oceanview on Icon at $3,160. If we step down to a balcony on Ovation the fare is $1,213. The cost difference could make for some very nice excursions, onboard spending, and pre- and post-cruise experiences if you're looking to spend so much either way.

I get the Icon excitement, I'm really anxious to seeing her as well but if calculating bang-for-your buck then I think the Hawaii->Vancouver reposition is a no-brainer. Don't know if I balcony is a must for you but you could save a little more even on Ovation by doing an inside with a virtual balcony. How much would you use a balcony on the 5 sea days anyway with not much to look at? Excursions in Hawaii are expensive, maybe not quite as high as Alaskan cruises, but they're up there. So with your savings you could spend more toward experiences or even a dining package onboard. 

As a disclaimer, I'm on the April 2024 sailing from Hawaii and really looking forward to it. I have never been to Hawaii and have been wanting to get back to Vancouver so this one checked the boxes for me. I know I won't get to see all of Hawaii, but it'll be a good taste for me and will give me an idea of where i might want to go for a land trip in the future. I love sea days and having been on Ovation's sister Anthem for a 9-nighter, I'm really looking forward to relaxing on those sea days in 270 and the solarium.

As for it being rough... it's impossible to predict. I had always heard the North Atlantic was rough until I went on my Canada/NE cruise and it was one of the smoothest sailings I've been on. The Gulf of Mexico can be rocky too if a spring storm or something blows through. Just no way to know this far out. 

I have not sailed on Icon or any Quantum ships. II know that Eastern Caribbean cruises usually one or more days at a private island. To me those visits are worthless and I consider them sea days. On the other hand, I used to travel to Hawaii for business for more than 20 years, 6 weeks a year. Hands down, Hawaii is the better destination. Factor in the price differential, it becomes a no-brainer. I am going on Anthem in October for a transatlantic cruise. I think the ship is special from prior comments on this blog and other sources.

Jim