Planning a cruise

Hello everyone!

I have sailed on Royal Carribean twice with the family on Enchantment of the Seas. I am wanting to book another cruise. I am looking at a 5 night cruise on Liberty of the Seas porting out of Cape Liberty (NY) NJ. I am wanting to go with someone that has never ever been on a cruise before. The ship would be going to Bermuda for two days. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Bermuda still requiring a payment from visitors or a COVID test in 2023, even if there are passengers that would not be getting off the ship looking into going in either the summer of 2024 or 2025. Please let me know I am curious and would a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean on one of the bigger ships like Oasis be too much for someone that has never been on a ship before. Let me know your thoughts and looking forward to hearing from you cruising experts.

14 minutes ago, KatrinaG said:

Please let me know I am curious and would a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean on one of the bigger ships like Oasis be too much for someone that has never been on a ship before. Let me know your thoughts and looking forward to hearing from you cruising experts.

Personally I think 7 nights would be a great start and you can't go wrong with Oasis class.  Plenty of options for everyone.  Our kids first cruise was on Allure for 7 nights and they had a blast.  

Hardly an expert but my wife and I have done 3 cruises in the last 18 months, after never having been on a ship......ever. First one was a 4 night to Coco Cay & Nassau as a test drive as it were. Guess we liked it, #2 & #3 were an 8 night & 7 night.  A 3 night & 5 night on tap. We aren't "gotta see and do it all" folks; what happens (or not) happens over the course of the trip. Only advance prep is the dining purchases, beverage, Internet, excursion(s) & the must have beach bed rental at Coco Cay. 

Play it by ear, do what you can or like, let it come to you. Less stress that way as well and it's truly a vacation. We don't measure the value of a trip by how much we did, but rather how chill we got and how much we enjoyed what we did do/see. Cruise length doesn't matter to us. If we've got the time Royal's got the cruise.

Bermuda, BTW is on our 'to do' list.

I would totally recommend an Oasis or Quantum class ship for a 1st time cruiser.

The shows, amenities and dining options are extensive and really give folks an idea of what they would prefer on future cruises.

We sailed bigger ships on our first few sailings, tried a smaller ship for one and now know that we're "big ship" cruisers going forward.

Happy Sailing! 🙂 

In all honesty I think Voyager or Freedom class should be the first stop for a newbie. If you start big the only way to go is down. If you start smaller or more midsize you have something to look forward to when you become more experienced. Lots of people who start at Oasis or Quantum class don't seem to like the smaller vessels and find much disappointment. 

Enchantment of the Seas is the ugly cousin of Royal Caribbean. It's the one that does not fit in with the others; belonging in The Land of Misfit Toys more so than in an ocean. Although you've been on two RC cruises Katrina, you are in for an eyeopening experience just as much as your first time guest.

When I sail with first timers I always select a big boat with all the bells and whistles. Allow Royal Caribbean to show what they do best. My recommendation would be Anthem, Odyssey, Oasis, or Symphony out of New Jersey. Even though they cost a little more, you don't know what you've been missing. You are exactly right about wanting a 7 nighter or better, there are some shortcomings to sailings that are less than a week long.

Bermuda has ceased requiring the $40 Bermuda Travel Authorization thank goodness. Some would categorize it as a visa. I think it was extortion. Let's all be thankful other popular cruising destinations didn't hear what Bermuda was up to and get the idea that they too could collect an additional $40 from every cruise passenger that is headed their direction and there was nothing the passengers could do about it.

Oasis and Symphony both have a lot to offer.  Choosing which one to take would depend on what your friend likes. Shorter cruise or longer?
 Port preferences?
 Time off work?
Do they get motion sickness?

Location of cabin is also important especially on larger ships. You don’t want to tire them out by booking all the way forward or aft.  All that walking can be a turn off for some. 

I was looking at liberty of the Seas because it wasn't too overwhelming but had enough things to do and I thought that 5 days wouldn't be too long or too short of a cruise for her. But I wasn't sure if Bermuda was still doing the while paying extra and have to get a COVID test to even have the boat visit because when I went to Bermuda in 2022 that is what they made us do even if we weren't thinking about getting off the ship. I am wondering if they are still doing that.

13 hours ago, KatrinaG said:

I was looking at liberty of the Seas because it wasn't too overwhelming but had enough things to do and I thought that 5 days wouldn't be too long or too short of a cruise for her. But I wasn't sure if Bermuda was still doing the while paying extra and have to get a COVID test to even have the boat visit because when I went to Bermuda in 2022 that is what they made us do even if we weren't thinking about getting off the ship. I am wondering if they are still doing that.

They are not

Liberty was our first cruise, and we found it a nice size. Enough to do, but not super crowded and a manageable size.  On the other hand if the people you are planning for like to see it all and do it all they might really appreciate all that an Oasis class ship has to offer. 

The itineraries you’re considering are pretty different and you could let that also factor in. Bermuda is lovely because you get a bit more time, the opportunity to overnight, etc. if you did a bigger ship out of Florida you could on the other hand include Coco Cay, and get a few more ports.