Alcohol-Free Drinks On Ships (beyond mocktails); dealcoholized wines, cocktails with liquor removed, non-alcoholic beers

Hi all,

This will be my first time on a cruise since the invention of drink packages where I will NOT be buying the deluxe drink package; sticking with the refreshments package.  I had not admitted I was an alcoholic and gotten help prior to my last cruise.

I know that mocktails are included in the package and I've seen 5 of them listed on the Fleetwide menu but necessarily on specific menus.  Are all items on the Fleetwide menu literally available anywhere on any of the ships in the fleet?

I've also seen O'Doul's and Heineken 00 listed as non-alcoholic beers on the Fleetwide menu, but not listed at every place that serves drinks.

I'm going to be on the Wonder of the Seas for the 7/16 sailing.  Do I have to go specifically to Playmakers if I want the non-alcoholic beers? Or are they everywhere because I see them listed on the Fleetwide menu as well.

Anyone know if they have dealcoholized wines on the ships?  Rather than make wine without alcohol, which tastes like juice, dealcoholized wines have the alcohol removed after making the wine so they are actually quite tasty and complex.

How about some of these specialty cocktails?  Some sound great and only have one type of liquor in them (some have more) and I'm wondering if anyone has had success asking for that cocktail and having them hold the liquor.  

As someone in recovery that has gone 27 months without a drink as of sail time, it's great seeing expanded options for non-drinkers who still want the cruise vibe.  Just wondering how I can expand on the very limited mocktail and beer options.

TIA!

Congratulations on your recovery !  It's a long, hard road but so worth it.

Non-alcoholic beer is, unfortunately, not included in the Refreshments Package.  It is still considered "alcohol" so it's not covered.  I truly do not know if there are any non-alcoholic wines.  I don't know of any.  Even if there were, I'm sure they would not be included in the Refreshments Package, either.

The availability of certain beverage choices is very random.  I think it's fair to say that you would NOT be able to find O'Doul's just anywhere.  As a non-beer-drinker, I don't have first hand knowledge of the potential whereabouts of any particular brand, but I know enough to say that you would have to hunt and peck to find what you're looking for, most of the time.

Again, Congratulations !!

Congrats @ginway1010.  One day at a time.

I' don't have much to add beyond what @WAAAYTOOO has said about the non-alcoholic beers being out of the refreshment package.

I'll hit 30 years without a drink this November but I never got into the non-alcoholic beers, I just moved to soft drinks.  I drink the hell out of soda and I enjoy specialty coffees.  Mocktails are fun here and there.  Those you should be able to get in just about any bar as long as they have the equipment (if it's frozen).

Enjoy your cruise!

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Congratulations on your recovery !  It's a long, hard road but so worth it.

Non-alcoholic beer is, unfortunately, not included in the Refreshments Package.  It is still considered "alcohol" so it's not covered.  I truly do not know if there are any non-alcoholic wines.  I don't know of any.  Even if there were, I'm sure they would not be included in the Refreshments Package, either.

The availability of certain beverage choices is very random.  I think it's fair to say that you would NOT be able to find O'Doul's just anywhere.  As a non-beer-drinker, I don't have first hand knowledge of the potential whereabouts of any particular brand, but I know enough to say that you would have to hunt and peck to find what you're looking for, most of the time.

Again, Congratulations !!

Thank you!  And... that blows my mind that non-alcoholic beer isn't part of the refreshments package when mocktails are.

Sigh - guess that just means that these cruise lines have some evolving to do still when it comes to catering to non-drinkers.  Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, Xaa said:

Congrats @ginway1010.  One day at a time.

I' don't have much to add beyond what @WAAAYTOOO has said about the non-alcoholic beers being out of the refreshment package.

I'll hit 30 years without a drink this November but I never got into the non-alcoholic beers, I just moved to soft drinks.  I drink the hell out of soda and I enjoy specialty coffees.  Mocktails are fun here and there.  Those you should be able to get in just about any bar as long as they have the equipment (if it's frozen).

Enjoy your cruise!

Congrats on 30 years!

If you can find the non alcoholic wine you should be able to carry it in  I would expect the same for O’Douls or the non alcohol Heineken.

here is the beverage policy

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

i would also ask to speak to the bar manager (unsure if title) when you board to verify if o’Douls is not included and if so express your dismay.  Also email the CEO and let him know your dismay. 

18 years here next month. 

As taught in the state sponsored class I had to take a long time ago (that coincides with the incident that caused me expenses to go into Canada to see my in-laws), non alcoholic beer still contains a tiny bit of alcohol, so if someone is on a zero tolerance drivers license (like when coming off an alcohol related suspension), non alcoholic beer could still cause you to show a minute amount of alcohol in your system.  That’s why it’s treated as an alcoholic beverage and part of the deluxe package not refreshment package.  Minors can’t purchase it in the States, either. 

Disclaimer:  I’m not an expert on all things alcohol. 

I know you're not really asking about mocktails, but there is a good RCB article on some of the best available. :

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/05/12/8-mocktails-try-your-next-royal-caribbean-cruise

My favorite is the Miami Vice.  It's half pina colada, half strawberry daquiri.  So good!  Great poolside drink.
My kids (all teens or older) love ordering those when we get the non-alcohol Refreshment package.

And don't forget, you can also get milk shakes at Johnny Rockets with the Refreshment Package!  My boys would stock up on Red Bulls as well.

Easy to get your money's worth with the Refreshment Package I think.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:05 PM, MarcD said:

I know you're not really asking about mocktails, but there is a good RCB article on some of the best available. :

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/05/12/8-mocktails-try-your-next-royal-caribbean-cruise

My favorite is the Miami Vice.  It's half pina colada, half strawberry daquiri.  So good!  Great poolside drink.
My kids (all teens or older) love ordering those when we get the non-alcohol Refreshment package.

And don't forget, you can also get milk shakes at Johnny Rockets with the Refreshment Package!  My boys would stock up on Red Bulls as well.

Easy to get your money's worth with the Refreshment Package I think.

Regarding your kids ordering mocktails, did anyone ever question if they were drinking a non alcoholic drink? 

SO... also a non-drinker for the past 1.5 years!  Like mentioned, NA beers are not included in the package, which sucks. There ARE N\A wines also available, but I did not order one of them, as I think you may have to purchase the bottle from Vintages, not sure if it's available by the glass...

BUT you can do this if you want one waiting in your room, in addition to carrying one on if you choose:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/wine-liquor/alcohol-free-sutter-home-chardonnay-california This will take you to the Royal gifts website, and directly to the Alcohol free Chardonnay you can order to your room ahead of time, There is also an N\A sparkling wine and red wine listed on that site. 

On 7/6/2023 at 12:01 AM, Pattycruise said:

If you can find the non alcoholic wine you should be able to carry it in  I would expect the same for O’Douls or the non alcohol Heineken.

here is the beverage policy

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

i would also ask to speak to the bar manager (unsure if title) when you board to verify if o’Douls is not included and if so express your dismay.  Also email the CEO and let him know your dismay. 

I think RC considers these beers, which is why they don't include them on the package. I would think they may do the same if you tried to carry them on, but definitely worth a call to see! 

On 7/13/2023 at 9:22 AM, Smokey79 said:

Regarding your kids ordering mocktails, did anyone ever question if they were drinking a non alcoholic drink? 

No.  My "kids" are all teenage or higher, but no.  We never got any weird looks or questions from anyone, and the bartenders never questioned.  But my kids were taught to order 'virgin' drinks, so they would ask for a virgin strawberry daquiri or a virgin miami vice, etc..