Awards Miles Travel

I have never had enough airline miles to book award travel.  I currently have the miles with American Airlines because of a new credit card and I am trying to decide what way to book.  I am sure there are lots of people with experience on the boards to give me some advice.

I am traveling from California to Sydney Australia for a TP cruise.  I am looking at booking Los Angeles to Sydney on March 29 or 30, 2024 and then Honolulu to Fresno on April 30, 2024.  

1. I have it booked through Air2Sea for $900 with Fuji Air to Sydney and American Airlines Hawail to Fresno.
  2. I can get American Airlines to Sydney and Hawaii to Fresno for 64,000 miles  + $32.60

The advice I am looking for is should I keep the Air2Sea and save my miles for a later trip or is the 64,000 miles a good deal?

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have a personal rule of using miles/rewards when I have them. You never know when a company is going to change their policy or decide they no longer honor your rewards.  Do I think that would happen with AA ?  No….but when I have rewards, I use them.  THEN I spend my money.

Agreed. Once I have enough for a free flight, I use them.

Sounds like you did exactly what I would have recommended. For long haul, I look at miles and a mix of miles + cash to see if I can get something more than standard economy. 64k miles for your trip is a good value (as mentioned 1.4 cents is what I'd consider a good value).

On 6/18/2023 at 1:06 PM, Traveling Mike said:

I am traveling from California to Sydney Australia for a TP cruise.  I am looking at booking Los Angeles to Sydney on March 29 or 30, 2024 and then Honolulu to Fresno on April 30, 2024.  

So jealous! I did Chicago-Sydney-Brisbane for a 13 Day New Zealand solo on Quantum in March. (I spent a couple days in Sydney before flying on to Brisbane to board Quantum). I loved the ship, our New Zealand itinerary, and Sydney so so much that I really am just strategizing how & when to get back out there again. My cruise was only 1 or 2 cruises before they started the TransPacific and I met so many people that were staying on until Hawaii, and some even until Vancouver. Really, really wonderful; I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

I travel all the time with Delta mileage.  I usually only use them for international flights, which I do yearly.  Often saving up for 2+ years, or try for first class.

Domestic flights I try and use companion tickets.  I have used mileage for flights for years and start looking for the the flights early.  The amount of miles you need change often, sometimes they drop by half.  I have gotten great deals with mileage points.  This year getting flight from Rome to Montana for about 40,000 miles.