Which time would be the best for a 1st cruise?

I work in education so my time off is restricted to school breaks and the summer.   I am trying to determine when the best time for a cruise would be.  It would be my 3 year old son and myself.   I would be leaving out of Galveston.   The ports would be Roaton, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.   My choices are mid March, the first week of July, the week of Thanksgiving or the week of Christmas.   

The week of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas will be full, expensive cruises because that's when most families have time. While mid March is spring break for a lot of schools, you would be okay if you are sailing out of Galveston. Therefore my opinion is mid-March. But ultimately it comes down to what you want and can afford.

Heres my two cents:

Coming from northern New England, July would be out for us because of the temperatures. We cruised from Galveston at the end of August last year and it was way too hot and humid for us to even use our balcony. 

ymmv 

I sail out of Galveston frequently. The weather in cozumel and Roatan is pretty stable year round. Costa Maya gets unbearably hot in the summer. 

On the other hand, winter sailing out of Galveston, while normally pretty nice, can be cold, windy and foggy.

All things considered,  weather is pretty much a wash for any of those dates.

Christmas and spring break are usually crazy busy with tons of kids and high prices. Thanksgiving and summer are both busy with plenty of families, but less crazy than Christmas and spring break.

Therefore, I'd choose Thanksgiving unless you want a big traditional Thanksgiving dinner with lots of family around.

• I am a teacher.  Our first cruise was during Spring Break.  March is spring break month, many schools are all over the map on the specific week.  Ours usually includes St. Patrick's Day.
  • Spring is also great weather-wise in the Caribbean, however it may not be for those flying to the pier so there is that.
  • Last year we went in June and lost 1 day because of tropical storms.  We were supposed to fly to Florida but Symphony was a day late getting in so we were a day late getting out and we missed CoCoCay.

Oh and when we went in March, I got sunburned the last day at sea because I feel asleep next to the chair.  When we got home to KS, it was cold and snowy.   

My son is a teacher, and we have the same issue when I want to take him.  This year we went on the Allure out of Galveston for Spring Break.  It was very crowded, but the ship is big enough to handle it.  Going out of Galveston you will have the choice of a mega ship and a medium size ship.  The medium size ship 4,000 passenger's vs 6,000 for the mega ship.  You will be good for any of the ships.  The nice thing about the RCL ships is all the toys.  Just Emagine doing the flow rider and zip line with your son.  I am not sure if it is too late for you to get a deal on the end of July / first of August but that would be a good time.  I cruise every Thanksgiving week and love the time on the ship.  Just a fair warning, after your first cruise you will be hooked.  Have fun 🙂