xCANCELLEDx Rhapsody of the Seas - Mar 16, 2024 - Mar 23, 2024 (7 Night Costa Rica & Panama Canal) - RoyalCaribbeanBlog Group Cruise

AshleyDillo

As mentioned, we have this cruise booked and got airfare from Air2Sea.  We are flying down the day before the cruise (Delta with connection in ATL arriving after dinner time)  and returning home the day after the cruise (Copa - nonstop).  We have not made any plans for hotels (we need 1 before and 1 afterwards). 

I checked with our TA (Michelle with MEI) and she did not know of any group rates or events. 

Suggestions for pre-cruise and post-cruise hotels (that won't break the bank)?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, baltodave said:

Suggestions for pre-cruise and post-cruise hotels (that won't break the bank)?

There are a few of us staying at the Waldorf Astoria...and the prices are pretty good - for a Waldorf Astoria !  They offer a very good US government/contractor rate if you happen to qualify for that.

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There are a few of us staying at the Waldorf Astoria...and the prices are pretty good - for a Waldorf Astoria !  They offer a very good US government/contractor rate if you happen to qualify for that.

Well, I am a DoD contractor but have never tried that route before.  I do have a ton of Chase points which I can transfer to Marriott (as well as Marriott points).   Are you staying there before and after the cruise?  

1 hour ago, baltodave said:

Well, I am a DoD contractor but have never tried that route before.  I do have a ton of Chase points which I can transfer to Marriott (as well as Marriott points).   Are you staying there before and after the cruise?  

Just before....but we are boarding a week before everyone else.  Our reservation is for 7 and 8 March.  We are flying home immediately after disembarkation (3-23-24).

This price is for 2 nights.  We did upgrade to a condo suite so there are less expensive options but I think that $278.30/night for the WA is pretty reasonable !  Doubt I will ever have a chance to stay in a WA again at this price.

image.thumb.png.1a7251ba6fbd4cd7fa0b6d4d60b09f17.png

I've booked air on Copa through A2S for this cruise.  Big bonus was the direct flights.  

As it turns out Copa was the best choice for a vacation in Ecuador in September so I'll be testing out the Copa flights to PTY (Panama City) in September where I connect in both directions for Ecuador.  If they pass this test then I'll keep the Copa flights for the group cruise in March.  

Delta was always my go to airline for years so much so I am a million miler on Delta, but Delta has had delays and cancellations for 3 or my last 4 trips nearly causing me to miss a cruise and that was flying in the day before.  On the way home I got to spend an extra night in LA thanks to Delta.  In all cases Delta didn't have crews for the planes.  In their zeal for making money in the current demand environment they have let go of customer service, spreading their crew too thin and treating premium passengers like cattle.  "Sorry we cancelled your first class seats, here are some coach seats for the same price".   Oh yeah, they were red eye flights in coach middle seats instead io first class day time flights.  That was their best offer.  

So with American, Delta and United all trying to outdo Frontier with bad customer service I figure I can't do much worse on Copa.  

If you can, fly in two days before the cruise.  Airlines are a mess right now.  All of them.  

Still debating flight options. Air2sea pricing is all over the place. Still debating booking direct with united.

Still sticking with the residence inn, too. Having a kitchen and a grocery store next door helps save a few dollars for being there 2 days before. 

Transportation to colon seems plentiful but I'm hoping RC offers something.

I pulled the trigger and we (wife and me) will be also staying at the Waldorf Astoria the night before the cruise.  We won't get in until late (around 9:30pm) but maybe we can all get together and share a ride to cruise port in Colon on embarkation day (Sat 3/16).

I also need to book a hotel room for 1 night after the cruise.  I was thinking of the Crowne Plaza that's very close to the airport since we have a 9am flight the next morning.   For those staying over an extra night, where are you staying?

I'm still toying with flight prices. Air2Sea is actually cheaper than booking direct with COPA for the flight they're offering. The only issue is the return flight Air2Sea offers is later than I'd like. There is an 11:30 return but I can't book that through Air2Sea. Still holding out as the COPA price hasn't budged since the flights opened.

Booked the Hampton for the night before the cruise. It's 1/3 the price of the Waldorf.

I believe MEI is working on group transport to the port leaving from the Waldorf since so many are staying there. Things wouldn't be finalized until after final payment since there needs to be a count.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

"Sorry we cancelled your first class seats, here are some coach seats for the same price".

I am sorry this happened to you. Flying has been a disaster after the pandemic. I was part of all the cancellations in FLL back in April of 2022. By the time JetBlue finally sent the reason for cancelling the flight (MONTHS later after many requests, escalations, etc) I gave up even trying for reimbursement with travel insurance. The letter admitted fault by them, "staffing" which wasn't covered, so I didn't even bother. "Stuck" in FLL for 2 days until my next flight out. I can write a book on the horrible experience - not one employee gave a shit. Cost me $$$$ to "hang out" in FLL for 2 days AND fly out of a different airport (PBI).

Anyway -- your quote makes me think of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles where Steve Martin had a First Class ticket but a coach seat assignment. "I don't want a refund of the difference, I want a seat in First Class where I was booked and ticketed over a month ago!"

(Sorry if I messed up the line, did that from memory :)) 

Now that I booked the (WA) hotel before the cruise, I need to book a hotel for one night when we disembark (March 23).  I was thinking about the Crowne Plaza since it's so close to the airport and we have a morning flight on Sunday, March 24.  For those staying over after the cruise, where are you staying?

We would be interested in some kind of group transportation BACK to the airport at the end.  Since we are traveling a week before everyone else, the going TO part wouldn't help us, but going back to the airport at the end would be awesome !  I'll send Michelle and email and see what's happening.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We would be interested in some kind of group transportation BACK to the airport at the end.  Since we are traveling a week before everyone else, the going TO part wouldn't help us, but going back to the airport at the end would be awesome !  I'll send Michelle and email and see what's happening.

If the Michelle at MEI is "Michelle Cunningham", she's on family vacay this week.  Might want to wait until next week. 

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I was going to ask my agent about an airport transfer at the end of the cruise. They have the 2 excursions for flights after 3:30pm and 4:00pm but I imagine they sell the typical straight from the cruise to the airport transfers as well.

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I was going to ask my agent about an airport transfer at the end of the cruise. They have the 2 excursions for flights after 3:30pm and 4:00pm but I imagine they sell the typical straight from the cruise to the airport transfers as well.

They typically do but I usually plan my own ride ahead of time; RC's prices are usually way out-of-line. In the case of this cruise, I'm waiting to see what others are doing (since so many are staying over)

Looks like for transfers we have options.  I did an Uber estimate from the PTY airport to the Waldorf Astoria (WA) and it should be less than $20.  It's a bit longer from the end of the cruise (Fuerte Amador) back to the airport so that RC excursion that @smokeybandit mentioned might make sense.  It seems the longest ride would be from PTY or WA to Colon and hopefully, MEI or RCB can arrange a van or bus.

Air2Sea prices for me seem to be inline with Google Flights and United/Copa directly and not too terrible. Although, United is charging ~$4100 where booking directly on Copa is ~$1300 (round trip, per person in economy.)

Trying to stick to my "only book non-stop" rule is getting tricky. Returning to EWR is 9AM which means flying home on Sunday. I am fine with that but I REALLY wanted to fly out on the 14th, especially with how crazy flying is these days. The 14th-24th might be too long of a stretch for her, heck we are concerned with 14th-23rd (Nurse, rotating schedule, denied vacations, the usual).

Returning to JFK is 6PM which puts us in the "what to do all day" situation; I also hate driving to JFK LOL. Going to keep watching for now but Copa via JFK round trip is probably the best (& simplest) choice.

We decided to book the Crowne Plaza close to the airport for one night after the cruise.  (since we have a morning flight out of PTY on Sunday, March 24).  Therefore, we are looking for a tour of the city that leaves from where we disembark in  Fuerte Amador and drops us at the Crowne Plaza or airport (of course, with our luggage).  

Anyone have any suggestions?

We used Air2Sea to book our flights for this cruise.  Our outbound is BWI-ATL-PTY on Delta and the return is PTY-BWI on Copa.  We'd like to modify the outbound flight so our connection is not so long -- on the same airline-- (plus it appears that Delta has reduced the price slightly).  The problem is that Copa has increased the price of the return a lot.  We don't want to touch our return flight on Copa but A2S claims they have to rebook everything (which would cost us a lot more money).

I looked into cancelling everything and booking on my own but the price would be even higher.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Has anyone flown out of PTY before to know what kind of ordeal it is from curbside to gate? I'd really love to take this 12:30pm flight home since it's direct but it just seems too risky.

Same..I'm eyeing a 12pm flight out of there.  I know it's probably a 25-30 min Uber ride after debarking.  Air2Sea won't show anything before 1pm. They tend to be quite conservative, but still..international flight and all so not sure if I want to chance it.  I do have more later direct options but my originating airport is a 4 hour drive home, so would rather not get in later if I can avoid it.

What pisses me off about Air2Sea. We booked Delta BWI-ATL-PTY down there and PTY-BWI on Copa for the return. I want to change the outbound Delta flight w/o touching the return. However A2S has to rebook everything at a higher price due to increase in Copa’s fare. 

3 hours ago, Snotarni said:

We may drive down to Miami and fly on AA...  of course, for more $, there's always Brightline!  😉

I wasn't even considering that..but may be an option. Copa flights are more than $100/person less right now out of MIA than MCO..not sure if that's enough to warrant the extra hassle but I will monitor 😃