Acceptable ID

23 minutes ago, Train4304 said:

This should be a pretty straightforward and easy question. For a closed loop cruise, is a drivers license (by itself) an acceptable form of ID to get on the cruise?

Officially no. A birth certificate with raised seal Is also necessary. There are reports of people getting by with/without other things after long interactions with customs, but this is all very very iffy. How much time do you have?

19 minutes ago, Train4304 said:

It’s not me, I have a passport it’s someone else in the group

That's a lot of time for them to get a certified copy of birth certificate with raised seal. I would have them get right on it. Also, have them apply for a passport for future. It's great help when renewing drivers license or if license gets lost and needs replacing. 

• 1 month later...

Hey there! From my experience, a regular driver's license should be sufficient as a form of ID for a closed-loop cruise. Usually, they just need a valid government-issued ID that contains your photo and birthdate. However, it's always a good idea to double-check with the specific cruise line or consult their website to ensure you have all the necessary documents handy before setting sail. 

Edited by SpeedNoodles
Removed link to site which promotes/provides fake IDs.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:42 PM, Train4304 said:

It’s not me, I have a passport it’s someone else in the group

What is your friend's state of residence? If that state uses Vitals Chek service, they can obtain an 'official' copy long form birth certificate that is cruise line friendly. If you indicate the birth certificate is being requested for a passport application, the certificate issued will also meet US State Department passport application requirements. 

Florida uses Vitals Chek. Both my wife and I had non-compliant birth certificates (etched on stone tablets and other deficiencies). Wife got her official Florida birth certificate in less than a week. As a Michigan native, mine took a bit longer. When I received it, there were errors on it ( father's name). Called Michigan Vital Statistics and explained. They apologized, instructed me to return the incorrect certificate to them. They FedEx'd  corrected copies back. Less than 14 business days start to finish.

Thank you everyone. We just completed the cruise on Saturday with no issues. She got a replacement birth certificate and used her drivers license.  😊

2 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

What is your friend's state of residence? If that state uses Vitals Chek service, they can obtain an 'official' copy long form birth certificate that is cruise line friendly. If you indicate the birth certificate is being requested for a passport application, the certificate issued will also meet US State Department passport application requirements. 

Florida uses Vitals Chek. Both my wife and I had non-compliant birth certificates (etched on stone tablets and other deficiencies). Wife got her official Florida birth certificate in less than a week. As a Michigan native, mine took a bit longer. When I received it, there were errors on it ( father's name). Called Michigan Vital Statistics and explained. They apologized, instructed me to return the incorrect certificate to them. They FedEx'd  corrected copies back. Less than 14 business days start to finish.