RCB Group Cruise - Panama Mar 2024

My wife and I are booked on the RCB group cruise in Panama, March 2024 and want to know what others' travel plans are (e.g. what days you're flying in/home and where you're staying pre- and post- cruise).  The Air2Sea flights are now available.

Even if you're not on the group cruise but have been to Panama, I'd like to hear your thoughts/suggestions.   Because I also have Marriott points, I'd like to stay at a Marriott property. 

BTW, the cruise itself is a Saturday-Saturday cruise on Rhapsody OTS March 16-23, 2024.  It will be our 12th RC cruise but our first RCB Group cruise!  (can't wait!).

One final thing: We live in the Baltimore area (if you couldn't figure that out from my handle) and Copa Airlines will start non-stop service to/from BWI this June on Mon/Wed/Sat/Sun (unfortunately, not on Thurs/Fri and the northbound flights leave at Panama at 9ish AM).  That just means if we fly down on Thurs or Fri, we'll have to make a connection. 

Thanks and I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts/suggestions. 

I'm on the late February sailing (can't make the group cruise due to my work schedule). After looking at Panama City's attractions, I'm flying in Thursday for a full day of touring on Friday before embarkation. There's enough there that I'd like to see, but not so much that heading back in the future would be a good use of my time and money. I'm leaving on Sunday due to Saturday flight schedules. Where I'm heading back to and departure times makeable from Colón requiring an overnight somewhere; I might as well spend another night in Panama City. Currently, I'm hoping Royal will get an excursion with the Panama Canal Railway on disembarkation day running back to Panama City as it appears the train isn't running a regular schedule.

23 minutes ago, Rackham said:

I'm on the late February sailing (can't make the group cruise due to my work schedule). After looking at Panama City's attractions, I'm flying in Thursday for a full day of touring on Friday before embarkation. There's enough there that I'd like to see, but not so much that heading back in the future would be a good use of my time and money. I'm leaving on Sunday due to Saturday flight schedules. Where I'm heading back to and departure times makeable from Colón requiring an overnight somewhere; I might as well spend another night in Panama City. Currently, I'm hoping Royal will get an excursion with the Panama Canal Railway on disembarkation day running back to Panama City as it appears the train isn't running a regular schedule.

Thanks!  Where are you staying in Panama?

35 minutes ago, baltodave said:

Thanks!  Where are you staying in Panama?

You're welcome!

For Thursday and Friday nights, booked at Radisson Hotel Panama Canal. Saturday at Crowne Plaza Panama Airport and sprung for their dinner, bed, and breakfast rate. Figured on the outgoing leg if Royal is offering an excursion from Colón that ends at the airport, I can catch the free shuttle to the hotel (if needed). If not, I can still take advantage the next morning to get to the airport. Either way, last night in Panama I'm confident I will look to chill and not thrill after the preceding week.

Also, Uber apparently is plentiful and cheap in Panama City. However, their drivers love the scam where they don't end the ride after you've been dropped off at your destination, so it's worthwhile keeping an eye on the app and then canceling the ride after you've gotten out if the driver doesn't.

23 minutes ago, Rackham said:

You're welcome!

For Thursday and Friday nights, booked at Radisson Hotel Panama Canal. Saturday at Crowne Plaza Panama Airport and sprung for their dinner, bed, and breakfast rate. Figured on the outgoing leg if Royal is offering an excursion from Colón that ends at the airport, I can catch the free shuttle to the hotel (if needed). If not, I can still take advantage the next morning to get to the airport. Either way, last night in Panama I'm confident I will look to chill and not thrill after the preceding week.

Also, Uber apparently is plentiful and cheap in Panama City. However, their drivers love the scam where they don't end the ride after you've been dropped off at your destination, so it's worthwhile keeping an eye on the app and then canceling the ride after you've gotten out if the driver doesn't.

Great info!  Thanks for the tips.

Taking my mom on the March 2-9 cruise, unfortunately the group cruise dates didn't work for me. A Panama Canal full transit cruise was on mom's bucket list and this works time wise for me with only having to take a week off of work.

I see the Air2Sea flights are starting to pop up and was wondering how many are planning on using it? Is it easy to get the price match? Because I already see the Copa website is less than the AIr2Sea price  And also anyone's experience with Copa Airlines would be helpful.

So far I plan to fly in the day before and stay at the Radisson at the Colon port. I'm guessing Uber is the best way to get from the airport to Colon.

I have also already booked the Panama City tour and airport drop off for the last day. 

23 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

@Matt are you guys staying over after the cruise or flying straight back ?  I haven’t decided what to do yet.

I think the flight schedule will dictate that answer.

Ideally, fly home same day cruise ends. But we don't yet know what time the flight(s) are so have to wait a bit longer to determine that answer.

Hi Everyone,

I decided to book the flights through Air2Sea:

The day before the cruise, we're taking Delta with a connection in Atlanta, arriving Panama City (PTY) at 7:59AM.  The second leg (ATL-PTY) is actually a Copa flight code-shared with Delta.   We have not chosen/booked a hotel for that night (before we embark).

The day after the cruise ends we're taking Copa Airlines nonstop departing PTY at 9:07 am and arriving BWI (my home airport) at 3:07 PM.  

The plan is to tour Panama City the day we disembark from the ship.  We'll wait and see if Royal has any excursions.  Or if anyone here has suggestions, let me know.  One more thing.  It's been my experience that the best Cruise Planner prices are usually the week of Black Friday. 

Another thing, unless you want to use miles/points with Delta (I don't have any), it's probably better to book with Air2Sea since their prices are in line.

@Matt Maybe we can have a RCB group excursion when we disembark?

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No, just hoping once the "new car scent" of the schedule release dies down that prices go down a little bit.

Business travel took a big hit and that is where the airlines make bank.  

Just as remote workers are defying the idea of going back to the office, a lot of frequent business travel has figured out how to do it remotely.  So the airlines have to make bank somewhere else.  That means us.  What I'm paying for travel this summer is shocking.    But as long as idiots like me buy it, the airlines keep selling it at that rate.  

8 hours ago, baltodave said:

Hi Everyone,

I decided to book the flights through Air2Sea:

The day before the cruise, we're taking Delta with a connection in Atlanta, arriving Panama City (PTY) at 7:59AM.  The second leg (ATL-PTY) is actually a Copa flight code-shared with Delta.   We have not chosen/booked a hotel for that night (before we embark).

Mine is Delta from DEN to ATL and Also Delta from ATL to PTY (ticket says operated by Delta) Leaves Atlanta at 9:45 am

I booked Air to Sea from Austin.  There is a Copa direct flight on Thursday so we are taking advantage of that and staying at the Residence Inn.  My MEI TA said that they may do a group hotel so I may change it if that comes together.

21 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I booked Air to Sea from Austin.  There is a Copa direct flight on Thursday so we are taking advantage of that and staying at the Residence Inn.  My MEI TA said that they may do a group hotel so I may change it if that comes together.

If MEI does a group hotel, that would be awesome!  We are flying in Friday and staying over one night after the cruise.  I will give our MEI agent a heads up so she'll be on the look out.

19 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

You and I are in the Residence Inn.  Sounds like we've already booked the group hotel!