MCO or Cocoa Beach Hotel prior to Pt Canaveral Cruise

Hi Everyone,

In late September we are taking Mariner OTS from Port Canaveral on a Friday.  We are flying into MCO (Orlando) the day before (Thursday) with our SWA flight arriving at 11:05 am.  Of course, we are checking bags (it's an 8-night cruise). So I figure it will be at least noon before we can leave the airport (assuming the flight is on time).

The question is should we book a MCO-area hotel or get a hotel near Port Canaveral (e.g. Cocoa Beach)?

I look forward to everyone's 2 cents!

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, baltodave said:

Hi Everyone,

In late September we are taking Mariner OTS from Port Canaveral on a Friday.  We are flying into MCO (Orlando) the day before (Thursday) with our SWA flight arriving at 11:05 am.  Of course, we are checking bags (it's an 8-night cruise). So I figure it will be at least noon before we can leave the airport (assuming the flight is on time).

The question is should we book a MCO-area hotel or get a hotel near Port Canaveral (e.g. Cocoa Beach)?

Thanks!

I think staying at a Cocoa Beach hotel is better than staying by the airport. I would rather have a shorter ride to the port and often times the hotels have airport shuttles. You will also have more budget friendly last-minute options than airport hotels. 

25 minutes ago, baltodave said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

It's dollars and cents. There are way waaaaay more Orlando/airport area hotels. This gives you a ton of options in terms of price vs quality. It's like 100 plus hotels vs 15. I always go the MCO route. 

24 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I think staying at a Cocoa Beach hotel is better than staying by the airport. I would rather have a shorter ride to the port and often times the hotels have airport shuttles. You will also have more budget friendly last-minute options than airport hotels. 

Well, I've never heard of a Cocoa Beach hotel with an airport shuttle.  It's around a 50-minute ride!

I also will not book a last-minute hotel.  I'm the sort of person that plans in advance.

I'm leaning towards an MCO-area hotel because if the plane is late (it is prime hurricane/tropical storm season) I'd rather be staying near MCO.   Also, MCO-area hotels tend to be less expensive than Cocoa Beach hotels.

Thanks for your input!

Yup, stay near Samoran Blvd by the airport.  Just about every hotel has an airport shuttle, within walking distance of a variety of food/drink options and are serviced by either Cortrans or Cruise Control Transportation.  Most hotels also have complementary breakfast.  Off the plane, check in to the hotel, swim, relax have a good nights sleep & get dropped off right at the terminal.