North Star Experience

15 minutes ago, Aron_Ross said:

Ok that was my next question.  I would think a port day would be better since there is more to see, but I will take your word for it.  So on port days it's just first come first served with or without reservations?

Yeah i think so.  I only did it on a sea day, so i know you need a res for that.  and the other unappealing thing about the port day was that the Northstar didn't seem to do the full swing like it did over the water. So it's a reduced experience.  

On port days, the Northstar goes straight up and then down.  One thing about that is it actually goes higher than it does when it swing out over water so the view of a port is quite cool.  I have done the over water experience, but not since they began charging for it and I would not personally pay for it.  I think the length of the experience is about the same.  When it goes straight up, it stays up there for a few minutes. 

17 minutes ago, Southern Waters said:

I'm on Ovation in June and want to do North Star; I don't have a preference about doing it in port or at sea.  One of my friends wants to do it at sea but in the app it's showing that it's sold out.  I'm wondering if it's really sold out or are we only able to book it when we're on board?

They sell a lot of the slots online and then some people might cancel. Unlike show and dining reservations, they aren't holding back times. So it's going to be a 50/50 chance they may have available times.

18 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

They sell a lot of the slots online and then some people might cancel. Unlike show and dining reservations, they aren't holding back times. So it's going to be a 50/50 chance they may have available 

I frequently look at the excursions offered for my cruise, checking prices, etc. and I've never seen North Star there.  For future reference, where in the app do you go to book it?  Nevermind,  I guess in the activities tab.

We had the pleasure of riding NorthStar for free in port in Aruba (Odyssey) and Skagway, Alaska (Quantum) last year. 

Spectacular views in both ports! Reserve in the app once connected to the Ship's Wi-Fi. As mentioned, app is free to use. No paid internet package required.

On 4/13/2023 at 5:51 PM, Aron_Ross said:

Ok that was my next question.  I would think a port day would be better since there is more to see, but I will take your word for it.  So on port days it's just first come first served with or without reservations?

Just depends on where the ship is, might be worth it on a sea day.  Many times in you will be in areas of Alaska that is still plenty to see even though you are not in port.

image.png.ebf977768cf2ffa0ca1b8ef21e3abdc4.png

That was taken during a "sea day".

On 4/21/2023 at 4:43 AM, Ampurp85 said:

They sell a lot of the slots online and then some people might cancel. Unlike show and dining reservations, they aren't holding back times. So it's going to be a 50/50 chance they may have available times.

I guess I blew it!  I thought you had to reserve North Star once on the ship.  I didn't realize until later that you could book it in ACTIVITIES online.  Perhaps it might be worth a shot to be placed on a cancelation list once we board?