Bear Spray for hiking in Alaska

We have hiked in "remote" trails in the Tetons and Yellowstone and carried bear spray.  Park Rangers did not require it but strongly encouraged it and provided training.  We are going up to Denali and other parts for a week and will carry it.  We will hike in ports like Skagway and Ketchikan.  Hiking with "a million of your best friends" is not our idea of adventure.  Do we we need bear spray if we are hiking on our own?  Can we turn in the bear spray for safe keeping when we embark and retrieve it at the ports and then hand it back when we get back on?  We want to follow the rules, but also be safe when hiking.

Thanks in advance.

On 3/19/2023 at 9:20 AM, SteelersNationVA said:

We have hiked in "remote" trails in the Tetons and Yellowstone and carried bear spray.  Park Rangers did not require it but strongly encouraged it and provided training.  We are going up to Denali and other parts for a week and will carry it.  We will hike in ports like Skagway and Ketchikan.  Hiking with "a million of your best friends" is not our idea of adventure.  Do we we need bear spray if we are hiking on our own?  Can we turn in the bear spray for safe keeping when we embark and retrieve it at the ports and then hand it back when we get back on?  We want to follow the rules, but also be safe when hiking.

Thanks in advance.

Since pepper spray is prohibited to bring onboard I'm going to guess bear spray will be as well.

"A million of your best friends..." if you call mosquitos your best friends--They Are Not!  Bring mosquito dope? Yes!

Also, there is nothing wrong with bringing and wearing a bear bell...or three.

Bear spray, like baseball cleats; will be seen by security as a weapon.  But just like baseball cleats, have you considered wearing a Cubs hat? Grown bears are known to be empathetic and compassionate and just one look at that....well, yeah....even the wildlife in Alaska knows the misfortune.

I'll try a serious response. Having hiked in the Tetons and Yellowstone with bear spray you are correct in needing it in Alaska. Our Alaska hikes were guided and the guide had bear spray. When we return we will do some unguided hikes and would love to know how you dealt with this. I suppose you could possibly find someplace to rent bear spray??

I found the following on Alaska.org.  It talks about buying your bear spray once you reach Alaska.

Should I Carry Bear Spray?

Yes, many people do. The Alaska Department of Fish & Game recommends bear spray and it is effective in many situations. Wind direction is critical, and can extend its effective range or shorten it. Most bear spray has a range up to 30 feet. Remember, that most airlines will not allow you to fly with bear spray, but it can be purchased at many locations once you arrive in Alaska, like Mountain View Sports, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, and even grocery stores like Fred Meyer. If you purchase bear spray, read the instructions thoroughly so you are prepared to use it if necessary. Most sprays come with a holster that you can fasten to a belt or backpack where it is within easy reach.

Went to Alaska for three weeks a couple years ago...not on a cruise. We hiked, backpacked and fished. I had other means of protection including a loud personal alarm thingy that also had a bright strobe light to scare off the bears. We did see bears but not close enough to be a threat.

I would think that if you bought/brought Bear spray carrying it back on board the ship may be a problem. However, if its in your pack I would guess the xray machine would have a hard time telling what it it. Could be can of bug spray for all they know.  Before the "rules are rules" forum police step in, I'm not advocating breaking the rules, just saying what you could or could not do.