Cabin assigned in front of the ship

Nick560

The wife and I are cruising on Allure of the Seas April 9th and just got our cabin #. We are assigned on deck 6 at the front of the ship. 

Does anyone have any tips for first time cruisers that have a room on the front of the ship? I hear it can get pretty bad with sea sickness.

I love forward cabins. The only time I ever feel movement of the ship is when I'm laying down in bed. For my kiddos on their first cruise, they found that Seabands were super helpful to alleviate that mild motion sickness. You can find those anywhere - big box store, pharmacy, probably even the grocery store. Hope this helps!

I am on Adventure of the Seas and we are up close to the front port side on Deck 7.  We have a balcony room and a interior room right across the hall.  Assuming calm seas, is that ship big enough not to notice?  Our 3rd cruise and we have always stayed closer to the middle of the ship.  We wanted the two rooms in this setup so why we chose up front for this one.  

Just spent 11 days at the front of Navigator (another Voyager class ship).   Our rooms on Deck 11 and Deck 6 were far forward, and we were apprehensive about excessive movement.

Sailing downwind the first few days we never felt any movement at all.   Heading back into the wind, there was noticeable choppy seas...enough they put out sea sick bags.   Felt motion at times but nothing extreme.  

You should be fine.

Typically, the bigger the ship, the less it matters.  Obviously, there will be extreme situations, but in those extremes, it doesn't matter where in the ship you are if you are prone to motion sickness.  In addition to sheer size, the newer bigger ships have some pretty cool stabilization technology which ensures an even calmer trip.  I would defiantly not hesitate to stay in a forward cabin as long as it was not near an anchor drop in the lower decks-- but that is more about noise and not motion sickness.

RE ship movement and room location

The least movement will be lower decks mid ship. The most movement will be forward on the upper decks. The most engine noise will be at the rear. You may hear water slapping the hull on exterior room near the water line or lower decks.

Having said that, larger ships are more stable with mild or moderate oceans. Near shore, where cruise ships stay most of the time, the ocean waves are usually less than 10 feet which is barely noticeable on a large ship. Typically, you never notice the ships movement.

Sometimes you can get good size swells over a fairly long period. If they are broadside to the ship, it rolls left to right. These are usually the most noticeable if you look out a window from, say the dining room, you may see the the horizon move up and down as the ship rolls. Again, you may not notice it unless you look.

The captain and the crew want smooth sailing. Sea sick people are no fun. Neither is trying to work in the galley, serve tables and so on. As such, the captain will do all they can to minimize any rockin and rollin.

Some times, it can get a little rough. Not crazy dangerous or anything but it can be uncomfortable. Walking down a long hall may cause you to wobble from wall to wall. This is rare unless you are going trans Atlantic or Pacific.

I think most people deal with moderate ship movement with no issues and room selection will not make enough of a difference to even put it on the worry list.

Everyone is different and how they cope with ship movement. Some are more sensitive than others. There is always Dramamine and Scopolamine. You see people wearing these as patches behind their ears. They tend to make you a bit drowsy and sleepy as a side effect. Some people swear by the pressure point wrist bands. In addition: Don't use close vision like reading or phone browsing if the motion of the ocean is bothering you. I find it helps to just lay down and close my eyes if I start to feel flush and warm, the beginning signs of motion sickness. Its kind of like swinging in a hammock or porch swing. Take a nap. You will feel better. Some say to keep moving, fresh air, look at the horizon, stay hydrated and eat ginger (ginger ale, ginger snaps, ginger tea etc.)

I really do not think room location is going to make a big difference. I certainly do not want to spend my expensive vacation closed up in my room because there happens to be less movement there. If you are prone to get really sea sick, maybe the ocean is not for you. No where on the ship is going to give you much relief. If you do find one spot on the ship that is not moving much, everyone else that is sea sick will be trying to find the same spot. Personally, I am not sure I want to go where a bunch of people are throwing up if I am already queasy.

Finally: Watch your alcohol intake. A seasick drunk is a bad combination.

PS ... if your ship hits a hurricane, tsunami, giant whirlpool or worm hole  in the Bermuda triangle, all bets are off.

• 2 months later...