My first cruise

Ah sailing from Galveston...I just retired from Houston last year.  

Galveston's terminal can be frustrating at times, but relax and go with the flow, it will all work out!  

Enjoy the ship!  Don't feel like you have to squeeze everything in.  

Read the Compass ("newspaper") every day, it will have all the info you need.  

Cozumel is a blast.  Very friendly, very safe.  Same for Costa Maya. Been a while since I've been to Progreso.

Lots of good people here, you'll get good info.

My very first cruise in 2015 was on vision when it was in tampa.  The first sea day was the most relaxing day of my life and i have been on 2 cruises since with 1 planned for 2018.  I loved vision...it didn't have every bell and whistle but i didn't need it!  I wasnt overwhelmed by the ship and could relax.   We loved izumi, enjoyed trivia in the sooner bar and just had a great time in the 4 ports we spotted at.   Like mentioned before,  check out the cruise compass and you will find a million things you can do.   Have a great time!  Jane

You are going to have an amazing time. The great thing about a cruise is it can be any kind of holiday you want it to be. If you love relaxing by the pool reading you can do that. If you want to be active all day going from one activity to another you can do that too... (and of course if food is your thing then you will be in heaven).

You are going to have an amazing time.

Hi, @blueeyes1961, welcome aboard!

These articles should help with what to expect and things to plan ahead.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/07/23/20-royal-caribbean-tips-better-cruise

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/09/17/5-travel-agent-tips-first-time-royal-caribbean-cruisers

Probably the biggest one I see over and over is to arrive at least a day before departure, just in case something goes wrong. Long-time member @monorailmedic just got reminded of the value of that when driving to the hotel by the port for his Cuba cruise, when he realized he forgot their passports! ? http://www.cruisehabit.com/always-use-checklist-when-preparing-your-cruise-dont-be-billy

Ask away with whatever else you need / want to know. It's a great community here with a ton of people who probably have a collective couple hundred years of cruising experience under their belts.

Oh, and be sure to check out the podcast that Matt (the site owner / producer) put some out every week. If you click the "Podcast" link on the site's main menu and dig back through the archives, you'll find episodes about what to expect on embarkation day, more tips for a great cruise, discussions about specific ports or ships, and more.

4 hours ago, JenniferE said:

If you have a Pinterest board, make sure to search for RC cruise you will find tons of help with what to pack (and what not to pack), lots of ideas etc.

Jennifer, I had a look for RC cruise and can't find it. Don't suppose you have a link? Love me a pinterest board! Thanks. 

Two important things I mention to every new cruiser is  1.  Have the right IDs to get on board.  A passport would be ideal, if not make sure you have a certified birth certificate.  If you are a married couple make sure you bring a certified copy of the marriage certificate to show a name change from your partners birth certificate.  You will also need a government issued photo ID (drivers license) 2. BE ON TIME!!!  The ship will not wait for you if you are late,  this includes your port stops.   There will be a cruise compass left in your room every evening with the next days calendar.  It will tell you on port days when to be back at the ship.   Other than that just relax and have a good time.  I know you will.

6 minutes ago, MikeK said:

2. BE ON TIME!!!  The ship will not wait for you if you are late,  this includes your port stops.   There will be a cruise compass left in your room every evening with the next days calendar.  It will tell you on port days when to be back at the ship.   Other than that just relax and have a good time.  I know you will.

Great comments MikeK, this is a biggy for all of us that have been cursing for a while, specking for myself, even without a watch on, you can tell when it is time to "Set Sail", this is one of my favorite things about cursing saying goodbye to the port you were just in.

With that said it's kind of one of those funny but not really funny things that go with cursing, watching the "Pier racers/runners" trying to make it back to the ship before it leaves, like Mike says above, the ship will not wait for you and it is up to you to get to the next port of call, not the cruise line.

Not trying to scare anyone, the cruise line does everything they can, and I'm one of those overly cautious cruisers, so if I'm on a beach get away and I know the ship leaves at 4 I will start heading back to the ship by 2, that way if the taxi or bus breaks down I should have time to make alternative plans.

OK, enough of that, like everyone says, you will have a blast, just relax and have fun...

5 hours ago, lollilb said:

Jennifer, I had a look for RC cruise and can't find it. Don't suppose you have a link? Love me a pinterest board! Thanks

That is weird! Maybe spell out Royal Caribbean, IDK! Here is one, it's not RC specific, just an example. I would go to the link and pin it to your Pinterest board from the website, then Pinterest will start sending you pins. http://cruisefever.stfi.re/0824-16-cruise-hacks-tips-that-everyone-should-know/?sf=egojjkj#aa

and another: https://cruiseradio.net/12-things-need-know-sailing-royal-caribbean/

I also would recommend following Royal Caribbean Blog on Facebook. Twice a week Matt does a Facebook live and you can ask him questions. Your phone will tell you when he is live and you can tune in or go back later and watch the recorded version. It's very helpful too.

image.png