2023 $pring break the bank airfare price$

esmoov

Have a comped cruise out of Miami April 8.  Airfare from New York to Miami or Fort Lauderdale is running $750 to $1800 (economy) per person!!! Its not fuel prices since for the same dates it cheaper to fly to London, Paris or Madrid. Not supply/demand since all manner of dates, times and seats are available. Post pandemic gouge. Likely the JetBlue and American Airlines Monopoly just got even better with JetBlue now buying Spirt. As result its either JetBlue, Delta or United for us snow birds. 

The absolute sweet spot to buy airfare is 54-60 days prior to the flight. You are currently within 21 days of flying (3/8), so yes, the airfare is going to be incredibly high because they know you'll pay whatever they want. Remember that many airlines have schedules posted 6+ months in advance. 

Also, I ran possible dates for flying from NYC-Miami. Did you try Southwest?

image.png.e58c0b590503026ab98d8ecb33ce9624.png

5 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

The absolute sweet spot to buy airfare is 54-60 days prior to the flight. You are currently within 21 days of flying (3/8), so yes, the airfare is going to be incredibly high because they know you'll pay whatever they want. Remember that many airlines have schedules posted 6+ months in advance. 

Thanks for this.  Only problem is cruise is 4/8 to 4/16 (my bad with the typo).  I wish it was 3/8!!

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Domestic flight prices have been super high, even if you started looking early! I started looking 6 months ahead of my flight dates and a route that has always cost us around $200pp was $400-600pp ($400 for really lousy flights with connections and bad times). For a family of 4, that really adds up.

Correction to my original post - my cruise is 4/8 to 4/16.  I started looking in November and prices have been the same. I am calling this a price gouging - which I get since the travel industry has gotten hammered in the last few years. 

2 hours ago, esmoov said:

Correction to my original post - my cruise is 4/8 to 4/16.  I started looking in November and prices have been the same. I am calling this a price gouging - which I get since the travel industry has gotten hammered in the last few years. 

Considering 4/9 is Easter, I'm going to have to call that a holiday travel premium.  A close relative of price gouging, but at least a predictable one.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:37 AM, Cactus527 said:

The 54 day and 38 tricks I don't think are thing right now. Flights for this week have been a gouge for the entirety.  No Spring break for me this year.  Flights.thumb.jpg.73877a00c356e36cbe76ec90123edd04.jpg

On 2/28/2023 at 10:27 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

The airfare to get from MSP to LAX for the Navigator Group Cruise are making me cry.  I'm half considering driving.

I surprisingly got reasonable flights from FL. Flying into Long Beach and home from LAX, though.  Still have to drive 2.5 hours to the airport..but hometown prices are never reasonable for me.

• 2 weeks later...