Souvenir Ideas - St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee

Just curious if anyone had any suggestions for souvenirs at these three ports, at are either made their or unique in some way. We are probably not interested in the fancy jewelry or watch shopping (since we are not savvy enough in that area to recognize authenticity and actual bargain prices). So what other low-to-moderate cost souvenirs would folks recommend we look for (adults and tween/teen daughters)?

Something other than t-shirts, hats, and necklaces. Wood carvings? Specific clothing? Craftsman artwork? Unique foods (acceptable for bringing back into the US)?

We are visiting Old San Juan and the forts at that port.

My favorite part of Sint Maartin was the time spent in Marigot for breakfast and a little trinket shopping...and if you like wine, a visit to Le Gout du Vin, a French wine store is not to be missed. There's a great selection of French wines at fantastic prices, and everyone is very friendly. Sadly, we drank all the wine we bought within a few weeks. Therefore, it is necessary to return.

Le Gout du Vin.JPG

San Juan, has some pretty serious coffee if you like coffee, St Maarten has a Guava berry liqueur they are famous for, Ladadee is RCCL's private island, but they do allow vendors to sell on the island, think Haiti, they had some clothing with some pretty detailed lace work that we have never seen anyplace else before, I've never heard the end of this one, I didn't let my wife go back and look and buy, thinking they would have it on the next island, they didn't, or any other island since.

Hope this helps.

Barbancourt Rum in Haiti.  

Some kinds of voodo dolls if you are into that kind of thing.  Caution:  Some of the voodo dolls come with instructions that you must make regular offerings and perfume them regularly, or they will turn on you and make your life a living hell.  Otherwise they promise good luck if you welcome them into your home.

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

Barbancourt Rum in Haiti.  

Some kinds of voodo dolls if you are into that kind of thing.  Caution:  Some of the voodo dolls come with instructions that you must make regular offerings and perfume them regularly, or they will turn on you and make your life a living hell.  Otherwise they promise good look if you welcome them into your home.

I think I'll take my chances on surviving without the dolls.  LOL

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

Caution:  Some of the voodo dolls come with instructions that you must make regular offerings and perfume them regularly, or they will turn on you and make your life a living hell.  Otherwise they promise good luck if you welcome them into your home.

Sounds like the same instructions they give you when you get married! I don't have those issues, of course! :10_wink:

We'll skip the voodoo dolls for sure.

Actually, I was hoping to hear a reason not to skip the whole Labadee marketplace entirely. Based in the warnings I've head about very pushy local vendors (although not as bad as Jamaica), I was trying to decide if it was worth the hassle to go looking for something specific. So far I haven't heard anything about Labadee souvenirs that can't be had in San Juan, Sint. Maartin, or even onboard the ship.

We'll do the aquapark and coaster for sure. Family activity photos will be my most prized souvenirs anyway. So we may just invest in the digital photo pkg as the souvenir.

The rum sounds good from SJ and wine from Sint. Maartin, and I know they hold it for you as you return to the ship, but do you also pay tax/duty on it back at the States/US Customs? Thanks everyone.