Ship ZOOM Internet Package vs AT&T Cruise Package

JLMP

Trying to decide if I need to add AT&T's Cruise Package if I also get the ZOOM package or if I get the ZOOM package will I be covered for texting, calling, data?  Going on Radiance of the Seas in April for the Panama Cruise.  Don't want to over spend trying to be able to stay connected back home.  Any advice?  And does it make a difference if we are Diamond status and staying in an Owner's Suite?

Edited by JLMP
forgot some information.

If you are planning to buy a Voom package (as @SpeedNoodles said, you can do everything with it when it is cooperating, just make sure you turn off mobile services), the only thing you might want to add is if AT&T has any type of International package for the days you'll be in port/on shore. Verizon offers a package where you activate it and then just pay $10 per line if you use it in one of the approved countries for a 24 hour period. If you really need to stay connected for the full time, you could see if you have an option like that for your trip. Otherwise, just stick with the ship wifi.

Any cruise package with internet from a cellular provider is not going to be productive on a ship. You will spend the few mbps offered just checking one email and then either have to pay exorbitantly for the next days of the cruise or go without. VOOM imho is always better and cheaper than any cell plan if you need internet. 

• 5 months later...
10 minutes ago, Levi2003 said:

So when you purchase the ZOOM surf and stream package do you put your phone in airplane mode and turn on your WiFi then connect to the ships WiFi? Just want to do it correctly so I am not charged any roaming fees.

thank you

Yes. Most phones will turn off wifi when you go into airplane mode. Just re-enable wifi after you go into airplane mode.

A few years ago I researched the AT&T cruise plan pretty extensively and concur that the Zoom package is the best option. You can enable WIFI calling and talk, text and surf anywhere on the ship with your regular AT&T plan.

In Mexican and Canadian ports, you can talk for free (at least our plan gives us the benefit) without buying the AT&T cruise package.

You can often find a WIFI hotspot in a port not covered by AT&T (of course, I don't advise doing any personal banking from these hotspots for security reasons).

Happy Sailing! 🙂